• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

If we have low blood volume where does it go?

Aerose91

Pretty self explanatory question. And then since people recover blood volume must come back. What is the mechanism for this and is there any way to know if you have low volume and the problems it causes?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Dr. Rich Van Konynenburg gave us a good scientific explanation of this. I don't have it on this computer but will try to find it later. Maybe others have it saved. It involves HPA axis dysfunction and vasopressin. Basically, we pee it out. It is possible to measure your blood volume though there are not many medical centers have the equipment. Again, maybe others can give more details.

Aside from drinking fluids, increasing "good" salt and taking more electrolytes, whatever is wrong with the HPA axis needs to heal. There are also drugs that increase vasopressin too, but they don't deal with the cause. Methylation therapy was one method Rich recommended for normalizing the HPA axis.

I'll look for his post....

Sushi

Sea

Your body continually regulates how much fluid you have in your blood and in your cells. We don't know what drives the body to keep our blood volume low but something is off in the regulation. If someone is given iv fluid it raises the blood volume but only short term, maybe a day or two.

There are tests you can have to determine blood volume but there are clues even without the tests. For me I know mine is low because I dehydrate very easily.

When I have a gastro bug, even if it not a severe one, I end up needing 2 litres of iv saline.

When I have to fast for a test or surgery they have great difficulty finding my veins and are shocked at my level of dehydration.

I tell doctors about this beforehand now and they will often either allow me to have some fluid in the fasting period or bring me in earlier and set up a drip before I get dehydrated.

Aerose91

Interesting. Yes I've always kept really well hydrated and had garden hoses for veins but now they can never find one. I also got tested and have low anti-diuretic hormone so I guess im not retaining the water, however I do and always have added quality salt to my water. Does ME cause SIADH? I know certain viruses do and I was wondering if my encephalitis caused that.

So correcting the vasopression hormone, which I know is in the hypothalamus, should correct the problem? Would that also correct problems like POTS and OI?

*GG*

Dr. Rich Van Konynenburg gave us a good scientific explanation of this. I don't have it on this computer but will try to find it later. Maybe others have it saved. It involves HPA axis dysfunction and vasopressin. Basically, we pee it out. It is possible to measure your blood volume though there are not many medical centers have the equipment. Again, maybe others can give more details.

Aside from drinking fluids, increasing "good" salt and taking more electrolytes, whatever is wrong with the HPA axis needs to heal. There are also drugs that increase vasopressin too, but they don't deal with the cause. Methylation therapy was one method Rich recommended for normalizing the HPA axis.

I'll look for his post....

Sushi

Is Florinef used to treat low blood volume or vasopressin?

GG

xchocoholic

Any chance are bodies aren't peeing it out but using it in the inflammation process ?

Anyone else get swelling or drainage regularly ? Could this could be a mast cell problem ? Don't most of us have allergies ?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Can anyone tell me what the 'good' or 'quality' salt is to use?
I tried to find info in the search box but didn't get anything.

I have always naturally used tons of table salt on my food. And my blood pressure never budged but was always on the low side.

I'm pretty sure I pee it out. Does this mean that I have thick blood?

Aerose91

I have always naturally used tons of table salt on my food. And my blood pressure never budged but was always on the low side.

Unfortunately table salt doesn't count as good salt because all of the healthy minerals and electrolytes have been refined out. That's why they started making iodized salt because they were attempting to add back in some of the nutrients but that definately isn't enough.

The best salts out there are the ones with the higher. Mineral content- namely Himilayan Pink salt and Celtic sea salt. I prefer himilayan because the flavor is great and doesn't taste too "salty" but to each their own preference.

You can find both of these at places like Whole Foods and if going to Celtic make sure you buy the gray stuff that is still kinda damp in the bag- that's the more unrefined salt.

Sushi

Unfortunately table salt doesn't count as good salt because all of the healthy minerals and electrolytes have been refined out. That's why they started making iodized salt because they were attempting to add back in some of the nutrients but that definately isn't enough.

The best salts out there are the ones with the higher. Mineral content- namely Himilayan Pink salt and Celtic sea salt. I prefer himilayan because the flavor is great and doesn't taste too "salty" but to each their own preference.

You can find both of these at places like Whole Foods and if going to Celtic make sure you buy the gray stuff that is still kinda damp in the bag- that's the more unrefined salt.

Some others here have reported some contaminants in Himalayan. I've seen it in a couple of threads. Use google site search near the bottom of the Resource section for searches. The built in search engine here is lousy.

Best,
Sushi

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Some others here have reported some contaminants in Himalayan. I've seen it in a couple of threads. Use google site search near the bottom of the Resource section for searches. The built in search engine here is lousy.

Best,
Sushi

Thanks, I'll do that. I was just on google looking up the himalayan salt and the thought occurred as to how I would know it was the 'real' article when I sent my husband to purchase it.

Sushi

Hip

Unfortunately table salt doesn't count as good salt because all of the healthy minerals and electrolytes have been refined out.

Table salt is perfectly fine. For POTS purposes, you don't need any of the other minerals apart from sodium.

That's why they started making iodized salt because they were attempting to add back in some of the nutrients but that definately isn't enough.

Salt iodization programs were instigated because many soils are naturally deficient in iodine, so people eating locally produced food would suffer iodine deficiency diseases like goiter, a condition that gives you a hugely swollen neck.

Aerose91

I agree with your statements, but I still wouldn't classify lots of table salt as healthy since the nutrients that are refined out of it.

i wonder if theres other test other than plasma blood volume test.
aldoesterone?
does counting the fluid we drunk and we peed can determine? (if im not mistaken i read somewhere about this)
@Sea mine was also hard to find ususllt. is that a sign?

beaker

ME/cfs 1986

When I tried the florinef protocol , they had me take salt tablets. You can get them OTC.
I forget the size now, it was years ago. But you just take it like a regular pill.
It can be hard on the gut, so take w/ food.
Drink tons of water.
Good luck.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Drink tons of water.

I would say drink tons of isotonic or hypertonic fluids rather than water. If you are low in electrolytes - as we tend to be because we lose these in urine as well as fluid - drinking a hypotonic fluid like water will exacerbate the deficiency by diluting your blood further.

I know from horrible experience what it is like to become dangerously salt-deficient. It can kill you.

Oh - and when I had this the doctors put me on FLUID RESTRICTION in hospital, when a previous doc had observed correctly that I was already dehydrated. :aghhh:

I ended up so constipated that I hallucinated when I got home.

Last edited: