• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opinions on Vitamin D long term?

Charles555nc

Dr Marshal of the the marshall protocol says that vitamin D is a neuro steriod...and that there is two vitamin D levels 1,25 D and 25 D and that bacteria "hijack" the vitamin D recepter by overwhelming it, therefore one is high and one is low in chronic illness...

I guess my question is what are people's experiences after taking vitamin D? I usually get a huge flare of symptoms with Vit D- which I dont know if its a herx or not...if it was a steriod like effect I think I'd feel better right away...rather than worse.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Dr Marshal of the the marshall protocol says that vitamin D is a neuro steriod...and that there is two vitamin D levels 1,25 D and 25 D and that bacteria "hijack" the vitamin D recepter by overwhelming it, therefore one is high and one is low in chronic illness...

That is my experience too - one high the other low on testing - KdM doesn't supplement vit D but I don't know what the answer is if you have osteoporosis.

Me too Charles with the bad response - had a viral reactivation after taking vit D (for osteoporsis) for 3 weeks....

just ordered a transdermal spray - don't know if that will be any better.

When my vitamin D3 levels are very low, I get a very positive effect from D3 softgels. I get some effect within a couple days, and more over the next few weeks.

My levels seem to raise that quickly, and I get much less effect when I am not as low.

There was a thread in the past couple weeks about side effects with vit D.

allyb

Thanks for the thread Charles555nc......this is an important topic that confuses me......... I watched the KDM clip but didn't quite get to grips with it.

I get NO sun what-so-ever sadly......because even sitting in the shade with my feet exposed puts my heart rate up 60+ beats.

Maryb ..........I had one of those light bulb moments when I read your post....I just started taking d3 sort gels again about a week and a half ago and on Monday started with a bad viral reactivation:(
Mary is it possible to get both levels checked in UK?

SickOfSickness ...........which level do you mean is low D1,25 or D25....or both and which one do you take?

Charles555nc have you seen the KDM clip?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@allyb
I don't know if your NHS doc will do this if asked? Mine was done privately-not that its proved to be of any use really - all these tests - nagalase etc all point to a chronic infection - but they don't tell you what the hell it is? :(
I don't know what the answer is with the vit d job - maybe just take a teeny dose??

I did buy some of those new cal-in yoghurts but then ran out so not sure how much vit d is in them. my doc prescribed 50000 iu a week, maybe too much for me.

I've stopped juicing as well 'cos I feel so bad - it all falls down when something like this happens.

Charles555nc

See I did well on the Marshal Protocol (vitamin D blocking) for about 6 months and then developed nasty headaches (I think my body was attacking biofilms in my brain, autoimmune effect), since then I havent really commited to doing it again. I was the same as you: sunline exposure = intense heart rate and dramatic short term memory reduction...its just that it is worsening that happens IMMEDIATELY which is indicative of a herxheimer reaction, whereas a steriod effect makes you feel GOOD for a short term and then you feel terrible afterward.

Im so confused.

Not sure about the viral reactivation thing. Could it just be your body attacking the virus?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Charles555nc
its about 4.45mins into the clip (thanks @allyb) - it basically says that high vit d 1.25 is a sign of chronic inflammation - so theoretically supplementing it is not good.........

brenda

There is a lab in the UK who do both D's for £25. I got mine done at the start and end of summer but there was not much increase despite sun bathing every sunny day. I am in bed with my tab but will give all the details tomorrow from my PC.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have osteopenia. With 10,000 IU of D3 my level is still only 50%. I believe I only got D 25 tested.

You probably only had 25 tested--that is what most doctors test. If you can, get 1,25 tested as it can be dangerous if it is too high.

Best,
Sushi

Charles555nc

So according to KDM and Marshal, the immediate negative effect is from the 1,25d activated form just jumping out of control. I often wonder, since Ive done the marshal protocol with benicar if I should now start taking Vitamin D. But Marshal believes your body produces more than enough vitamin D just having bright light go into your eyes... guess I need to get my Vitamin D levels rechecked.

barbc56

The following is my experience and is not to be construed as medical advice. Consult with your medical professional for what is the best treatment for you.

I was taking high dosages of D3 for a short period two times two years apart. Both times I ended up with painful kidney stones which are a recognized side effect of taking large doses of Vitamin D. There are studies now showing that Vitamin D3 is not always needed at least in high dosages. I have a vitamin D deficiency and while I can't take Vitamin D in large doses, I take a smaller dose and have increased dairy products in my diet. I try to get out in the sun but that is not always possible. My bone density tests are fine.

A new study presented at The Endocrine Society's 94th Annual Meeting in Houston reveals that calcium and vitamin D supplements are linked to high levels of calcium in the blood and urine, which could raise the risk of developing kidney stones.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247284.php

What may work better is the standard dosing advice that applies to the 75% of American adults and teens whose vitamin D levels are below government recommendations: smaller, more frequent doses of the vitamin in pill form (no more than 2,000 IU daily), or getting up to 10 minutes of daily sun exposure to meet the body's needs of 800 to 1,000 IU a day.
http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1988891,00.html

Here are some other surprising results.
....... the panel concluded that there was not enough evidence to make a recommendation on daily supplements greater than 400 IU of vitamin D and 1,000 mg of calcium for preventing fractures in postmenopausal women. At higher doses, however, come potential risks. Some studies showed that too much vitamin D and calcium can increase the risk of kidney stones and other conditions
http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/26/vitamin-d-and-calcium-supplements-may-not-prevent-fractures/

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), an independent group of health experts, reviewed research on the role of vitamin D and calcium supplements in preventing fractures, and found that adding 400 IU of vitamin D and 1000 mg of calcium to a healthy diet does not lower risk of fractures in post-menopausal women, and that for younger women and for men, the studies are too inconclusive to support regular use of the supplements.

“It’s important to keep in mind that the presumption is that the people we are talking about here do not have known bone disease, they don’t have osteoporosis and they are not vitamin D deficient,” says the task force chair Dr. Virginia Moyer, a pediatrics professor at Baylor College of Medicine. “This is supplemental, so this is above and beyond getting what the expert consensus is for what you should be getting everyday.”

TIME.com http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/...ents-may-not-prevent-fractures/#ixzz2k0L2m3WS

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I had been taking supplemental vitamin D for a deficiency for over a year, so I asked to have both Ds tested earlier this year. My doctor also tested PTH (no, I do not know what that stands for) and ionized calcium. She said that as long as my ionized Ca was normal (it was), it was OK for the 1,25 D to be as high as 76 (it was 36). The PTH would have come into play if one/some of the others were off.

helios

See I did well on the Marshal Protocol (vitamin D blocking) for about 6 months and then developed nasty headaches (I think my body was attacking biofilms in my brain, autoimmune effect), since then I havent really commited to doing it again. I was the same as you: sunline exposure = intense heart rate and dramatic short term memory reduction...its just that it is worsening that happens IMMEDIATELY which is indicative of a herxheimer reaction, whereas a steriod effect makes you feel GOOD for a short term and then you feel terrible afterward.
This is the same thing that happened to me on the MP. At about the 5 mth mark when I was doing phase 2 of the protocol, I felt really good and I was so enthusiastic on starting phase 3. After about 2 mths on this phase I started to feel pretty rotten and feeling worse as the weeks went on. Bad headaches, head pressure, bad brain fog. I backed off the antibiotic doses but it did not really help much, and every time I tried to increase the dose I got worse..I ended up dropping the MP as I was getting disillusioned with just hearing I was herxing and reading stories of people still struggling on the MP at 2 yrs being told they were still herxing. I didn't mind the logic on the MP at all, except the vitamin D aspect was very controversial. I think low vitamin D it is very relevant for those with sarcoidosis, but maybe not so much for other conditions like CFS that Marshall was trying to extend it to.

I am currently on Vitamin D3 because I dont get much sun. Sunshine exposure does not make me feel bad. Getting sun burnt even a little does however. Being on and off ABx for a number of years my skin is now more sensitive to the sun and I cannot stand too much exposure. When I first went on vitamin D3 (my levels were very low after doing the MP) it hit me pretty hard with tiredness. I was falling asleep at work each day. I was on just a moderate dose too. Once I twigged it was the vit D making me so tired, I started taking it at night and it worked pretty good to help with my sleep.
I had another blood test a year or so later and found my levels were still way below normal. that's when I read how you have to load up on vitamin D to begin with before dropping to maintenance dose, which I did. Ironically when I took much higher dose it did not make me tired anymore. I am still taking it.

Charles555nc

1. Did you get both levels (1,25D and 25d) checked or just the 25-d on your last blood test? 2. Why do you have to "load" vitamin D with large doses to effect your vitamin D blood test levels(AGAIN mention which vitamin D level you are taking about)? 3. What effects/symptom reduction do you feel still taking it vitamin D?

Last edited:

Charles555nc

25-D and 1-25D are the active and storage forms of vitamin D, in the body. D3 and D2 are vitamin D supplements.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
just clicked on the link for testing that @brenda gave and the site offered this;

Testing Service for 25-hydroxy Vitamin D2 and D3