• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FOLH1 484T>C rs202676 reduces folate absorption

Kimsie

I just ran across this tonight. It looks like this one significantly reduces folate absorption. Here is the reference:

http://www.psychweekly.com/aspx/article/articledetail.aspx?articleid=1581

FOLH1 genotype strongly differentiated between patients who showed a good treatment response and those who did not,” says Dr. Roffman. “The FOLH1 variant also had a significant effect on baseline blood folate levels. Individuals with the low functioning FOLH1 variant (484C) had significantly lower baseline folate levels compared to those with the high functioning variant (484T). This may explain why patients with the low functioning variant failed to show a significant improvement in negative symptoms, as it took 8 weeks for their folate levels to catch up to those found in patients with the normal functioning version of the gene.”

Helen

Thanks, very interesting as it has an impact on the methylation capacity. The gene is analysed in the 23andme, but so far I haven´t been able to check the SNP´s. Waiting for someone with more knowledge in gene analyse :)

Helen

Kimsie

Thanks for this article. It shows negative symptoms of schizophrenia are related to four SNPs:
MTHFR 677C>T (rs1801133) (no surprise!)
MTR 2756A>G (rs1805087)
FOLH1 484T>C (rs202676)
COMT 675G>A (rs4680)

That settles it, I'm taking folate for life.
Our son with schizophrenia is MTR 2756 +-, COMT rs4680 ++, COMT rs4633 ++ and probably has at least one copy of FOLH1, he doesn't have MTHFR 677, but he does have 1298. He also may have MTHFD1 G1958A (I have one copy). Since we started giving him B12 and methylfolate he said he feels that his 'brain fog" is a lot better. When he first became ill I took him to an orthomolecular doctor who put him on B12 shots, but he didn't give him high levels of any form of folate, so it didn't do any good. (This was 9 years ago) I think the folate can be pretty important.

Critterina

Our son with schizophrenia is MTR 2756 +-, COMT rs4680 ++, COMT rs4633 ++ and probably has at least one copy of FOLH1, he doesn't have MTHFR 677, but he does have 1298. He also may have MTHFD1 G1958A (I have one copy). Since we started giving him B12 and methylfolate he said he feels that his 'brain fog" is a lot better. When he first became ill I took him to an orthomolecular doctor who put him on B12 shots, but he didn't give him high levels of any form of folate, so it didn't do any good. (This was 9 years ago) I think the folate can be pretty important.
Wow, sorry for his troubles, but so good he's making progress!

Journeyman

Nice one Sea - I logged into 23*Me to check what allele I might have and I'm guessing I've got a -/- non mutated but just wish to confirm because I don't really know how to read this kind of info yet.... Please see the attachment:
FOLH-1 Results 23andMe.jpg