• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Prolactin Causes Severe Fatigue.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Regarding your questions, I only know that this supplement lowered my prolactin a lot, as seen in the tests. I dont know if it increases circulating growth hormone or if it does, why. I just know that if I want to lower my prolactin I will look into a good mucuna extract or maybe also safed musli. Meds give side effects because they are unhealthy (poisonous) but in certain cases they are needed and helpful.

Ema

This study states that prolactin is probably an inflammatory cytokine and is elevated in about 20% of cases of lupus.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11084941

Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2000 Nov;26(4):713-36.
Roles of prolactin and gonadotropin-releasing hormone in rheumatic diseases.
Walker SE, Jacobson JD.
Source
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, USA. sewk@tranquility.net

Abstract
PRL is capable of influencing immune responses and is a cytokine in all likelihood. Circulating PRL is elevated in a number of autoimmune diseases, and about 20% of SLE patients are hyperprolactinemic. The serum PRL concentration often does not reflect disease activity in SLE. The PRL-suppressing drug bromocriptine has been reported to benefit small numbers of patients with reactive arthritis and inflammatory eye disease, and bromocriptine may be beneficial in treating SLE. In NZB/NZW mice, bromocriptine was beneficial and prolonged life. Bromocriptine therapy favorably modified disease in human SLE. In a preliminary open-label study, SLE patients treated with bromocriptine for 6 months had significant improvement in disease activity. These responses were corroborated by masted therapeutic studies. Daily treatment with low-dose bromocriptine prevented lupus flares, and bromocriptine was as effective as hydroxychloroquine in treating active nonorgan-threatening disease. The reports of the efficacy of bromocriptine treatment of SLE are encouraging. Additional studies may confirm the findings reported in this review and may lead to further use of hormonal modification to treat lupus and other autoimmune diseases. For the present, it is important to understand that treatment with dopamine agonists such as bromocriptine is experimental and best confined to therapeutic trials. In the experience of the authors, bromocriptine should not be relied on to treat severe life-threatening autoimmune disease. If bromocriptine is used to treat SLE and is then discontinued, the patient should be observed carefully for rebound hyperprolactinemia and the development of a lupus flare. GnRH is produced by lymphocytes and exerts immunomodulatory actions. Thus, GnRH resembles a cytokine. GnRH can be shown to exert gender-restricted immune actions in vitro and in vivo. The authors' preliminary observations are consistent with the possibility that gender-related differences in expression of the GnRH receptor or in GnRH signal transducers may contribute to gender-related differences in immune responsiveness to GnRH. These differences in G proteins may contribute to the gender-related differences in immunity and expression of autoimmune disease.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
I have lately been stumbling that in studies Ema, good stuff and yes, prolactin is most likely inflammatory and a marker for inflammation. We are inflammed that´s for sure lol

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568997206002096
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11102-005-5082-5#page-1
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568997202000812
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1567576901000455
http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/32/6/445.short
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0024320593907069

High estradiol or and high prolactinn = you are inflammed and most likely autoimmune (sounds like CFS/ME!). I have high both in most of tests.

Vit E and B6 also treat adrenal fatigue, so that´s great. But probably the real healing occurs when one finds the origin of the inflammation and autoimmune responses...

Ema

Here are some ideas for supplements to lower prolactin:

Primary Prolactin Inhibitor Supplements:

1) Vitamin B6
2) Vitamin E
3) SAM-e

Secondary Prolactin Inhibitor Supplements:

1) Ginseng extract
2) Maca powder
3) Ashwagandha
4) Mucuna pruriens
5) Zinc
6) Ginkgo Biloba

http://www.muscle-health-fitness.com/prolactin-inhibitor.html/

Well, I've tried all of these except Ginko!

There's clearly something weird going on with me though since even bromocriptine failed to lower my prolactin levels. I got it from the regular local pharmacy and I had the side effects so I believe the drug was real.

There is also some evidence that phosphatidyl serine can increase dopamine in the hypothalamus and lower prolactin. But I took too much at first and it gave me headaches. I do plan to re-try this at a vastly reduced dose.

Also, I would add Vitex to that list.

Rand56

There's clearly something weird going on with me though since even bromocriptine failed to lower my prolactin levels. I got it from the regular local pharmacy and I had the side effects so I believe the drug was real.

There is also some evidence that phosphatidyl serine can increase dopamine in the hypothalamus and lower prolactin. But I took too much at first and it gave me headaches. I do plan to re-try this at a vastly reduced dose.

Ema, if you ever decide to try Ginkgo, I'll suggest the Ginkgold Max from Natures Way. Supposedly it's the same EGb 761 type that they use in trials. I use to think the Vitamin World private label was the best brand of Ginkgo until I started using the Ginkgold Max. Definitely can feel a difference.

Rand

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

What about some of the dopamine agonisys used for rls. Supposedly less side effects??? Mirapex is one off the top of my head??

Ema

What about some of the dopamine agonisys used for rls. Supposedly less side effects??? Mirapex is one off the top of my head??
Great minds think alike! I have that on my rx request list for tomorrow.

Although I found out that adenosine is a potent stimulator of prolactin. So maybe my high level is a result of high adenosine rather than a pituitary problem.

Rand56

I'm wondering if anyone here on this forum has had any success lowering prolactin levels with a serotonin antagonist drug such as Ondansetron, or maybe even with the herb Feverfew which is supposed to have serotonin antagonistic properties?

Rand

Rand56

Ondansetron reportedly doesn't have any effect on prolactin unfortunately.

Ok thanks Ema. I was basically taking a page, so to speak, off of one of Danny Roddy's blog about different ways to help reduce prolactin. One being that higher serotonin levels increase prolactin.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/027858469090072O

Panthethine inhibits prolactin and increases stereodogenesis i.e. supports adrenals. When DHEA or DHEAS is low, prolactin is high. Also is seen high estradiol and low DHEAS in chronic inflammation. I propose that high prolactin AND high estradiol are related to chronic inflammation and HPA axis hypoactivity.

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/36/4/426.short

http://www.jrheum.org/content/30/11/2338.short

I am about to start an adrenal protocol that includes Panthetine, will post how it affects me.

How are your estradiol levels, Ema and others?

Ema

My estradiol is good. About 80-100 pg/ml on day 21...

My DHEAs is usually low but has gotten a bit too high through supplementation lately so I'm doing a washout at the moment to see where it falls out.

Ema

I thought this was interesting in terms of prolactin and autoimmune disease and the Th1/Th2 shift.

Pituitary
January 2005, Volume 8, Issue 1, pp 25-30
Prolactin and Autoimmunity

Abstract
The interrelationship between prolactin (PRL) and the immune system have been elucitaded in the last decade, opening new important horizons in the field of the immunoendocrinology. PRL is secreted not only by anterior pituitary gland but also by many extrapituitary sites including the immune cells. The endocrine/paracrine PRL has been shown to stimulate the immune cells by binding to PRL receptors. Increased PRL levels, frequently described in autoimmune diseases, could depend on the enhancement of coordinated bi-directional communications between PRL and the immune system observed in these diseases. Hyperprolactinemia has been described in the active phase of some non organ-specific autoimmune diseases, as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and organ-specific autoimmune diseases, as celiac disease, type 1 diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, autoimmune thyroid diseases. In these diseases PRL increases the syntesis of IFNγ and IL-2 by Th1 lymphocytes. Moreover, PRL activates Th2 lymphocytes with autoantibody production. Of particular interest is the association between hyperprolactinemia and levels of anti DNA antibodies, islet cell antibodies (ICA), thyreoglobulin antibodies (TgAb), thyroperoxidase antibodies (TPOAb), adrenocortical antibodies (ACA), transglutaminase antibodies (tTGAb) in SLE, in type 1 diabetes mellitus, in Hashimoto's thyroiditis, in Addison's disease and in celiac disease, respectively. High levels of PRL have been also frequently detected in patients with lymphocytic hypophysitis (LYH). Several mechanisms have been invoked to explain the hyperprolactinemia in LYH. The PRL increase could be secondary to the inflammatory process of the pituitary gland but, on the other hand, this increase could have a role in enhancing the activity of the immune process in LYH. Moreover, the detection of antipituitary antibodies targeting PRL-secreting cells in some patients with idiopathic hyperprolactinemia suggests the occurrence of a possible silent LYH in these patients. Finally, the role of anti-prolactinemic drugs to inactivate the immune process in LYH is still discussed.

Just got back my recent bloods and my prolactin levels are very high - so here I am! DHEA is low, but within range. Also, a positive ANA test - speckled pattern.

Thanks for doing the leg work, Ema!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Prolactin is bad news, also gives ED in men. When I managed to lower it with that bodybuilding supplement I noticed the difference in that area.

A positive ANA seems fairly common among chronically ill patients with suspected autoimmunity (such as CFS).

I have no problems with sex drive. My testosterone levels are actually very high - a little too high by the looks of it...

My estradiol levels are also high - within range - but only just.

Adrenals are a mess - what protocol are you looking at doing, Beyond?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,