• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New CEO - Carol Head - for CFIDS Assoc of America

Firestormm

CFIDS Association Announces New CEO

17 October 2013

The CFIDS Association of America is thrilled to announce the appointment of its new President and CEO, Ms. Carol Head. Carol is an executive with more than 25 years success in both the for-profit and non-profit sectors. She’s an experienced business owner, corporate executive, communicator and problem-solver.

In the private sector, she most recently served as CEO of two companies. Previously, she served as vice president of marketing for two internet-based companies. Carol also spent eight years as an executive at the Los Angeles Times in a variety of marketing and strategy roles. She served as associate vice president of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Organizing Committee.

Carol has been active in community affairs, serving on three national non-profit boards, including service as a board chair. Carol is a founder of Project Redwood, a venture philanthropy fund which supports creative approaches to alleviating extreme global poverty.

Carol received a Bachelor of Arts in English from Wellesley College, and earned an MBA from Stanford University...

Carol knows first-hand the despair of being disabled by ME/CFS: she was very ill for several years in the 1980s and then experienced years of gradual improvement. Carol recognizes that her experience is unusual.

“I am deeply gratified by the opportunity to play a role in solving ME/CFS. It’s unacceptable that we are still so far from solving this. It’s unacceptable that we don’t know why we get sick or why some of us get better,” said Carol.

“No one should have to experience this illness. When I became ill with ME/CFS, I discovered the CFIDS Association, and I recall the deep sense of relief that I was not alone. I never dreamed that I’d have the opportunity to use my management experience and entrepreneurial drive to join the fight to solve ME/CFS. I look forward to working with patients, researchers, funders, and agencies as we drive forward to eradicate this debilitating illness.”

“I am excited for faster progress along the path ahead, confident in the direction of the Association, and delighted that Carol has stepped into this leadership role. Her combination of expertise, experience, and empathy will ensure the steady, strategic expansion of programs and services to help patients and solve ME/CFS,” said Amy Squires, Chairman of the Board of Directors.