• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone on this site cured him or herself of CFS/ME? Did I?

overtrain

Medical Mafia needs to die via this virus.
Okay, I know this will sound strange, but I'm really starting to wonder if I'm just about free of this.

Has anyone here either gotten over this or known anyone who has? Anyone who got better slowly, then did not relapse at all? I ask because i keep-extremely slowly- improving, and am where i can leave the house days in a row with zero post-exertional fatigue after biking. I also just too several weeks to pack up everything I own and move alone... up several flights of stairs. Sure, i was tired, but that would have tired me sans illness.

Best part is cognitive function has vastly improved. I caught the flu, got mono, & went very downhill from there in Sept. 2011. 2 years later i can almost stand sounds, bright lights, plan ahead, find things, and don't lose myself midsentence.

Last, I am totally paranoid about ever getting the flu again and actually lay awake at night worried if I am "over" this or nearly (provided there IS such a thing) that maybe someday it will all come down on me again even worse than the initial CFS/ME. I keep reading reports that when it reoccurs, it's even nastier, more debilitating.

So, anyone been lulled into thinking they were over this want to comment, too?

Thank you so much,
Overtrain in iowa, us of a

vamah

Okay, I know this will sound strange, but I'm really starting to wonder if I'm just about free of this.

Has anyone here either gotten over this or known anyone who has? Anyone who got better slowly, then did not relapse at all? I ask because i keep-extremely slowly- improving, and am where i can leave the house days in a row with zero post-exertional fatigue after biking. I also just too several weeks to pack up everything I own and move alone... up several flights of stairs. Sure, i was tired, but that would have tired me sans illness.

Best part is cognitive function has vastly improved. I caught the flu, got mono, & went very downhill from there in Sept. 2011. 2 years later i can almost stand sounds, bright lights, plan ahead, find things, and don't lose myself midsentence.

Last, I am totally paranoid about ever getting the flu again and actually lay awake at night worried if I am "over" this or nearly (provided there IS such a thing) that maybe someday it will all come down on me again even worse than the initial CFS/ME. I keep reading reports that when it reoccurs, it's even nastier, more debilitating.

So, anyone been lulled into thinking they were over this want to comment, too?

Thank you so much,
Overtrain in iowa, us of a

I don't have a response to your actual question, but would be very interested in hearing what kind of treatments you followed that got you this far in your recovery. It is great that you have made such progress. I hope it continues.

Seven7

Seven
I have been there a few times. My advice is still be aware of signs. And make sure to work on your immune system, eating well, good supplements...... I relapse every time exercising.

I know a few that are mostly normal with some lingering symptoms but overall ok.

There's some kind of general consensus that you have to wait 5 years before you can claim recovery. Think this rule is related to cancer, not sure so don't quote me on that.

Did you notice a turning point in your illness - a date when things seemed to start improving, if you look at your illness retrospectively?

Has anyone here either gotten over this or known anyone who has? Anyone who got better slowly, then did not relapse at all?

There are some reports, but few.

The problem is usually we can't know if they really had ME/CFS. (Maybe they just had adrenal fatigue or parasites dragging them down, which they are now cured of, or many other things it could be.)

Still I would be very worried about a relapse if I ever had a remission. If I knew what thing(s) caused my improvement then I would be less worried, in a way.

Also if a patient told me they were cured, I would look at:
(These are just my opinion from reading experiences.)

How long they were sick - the less time, the better chance of a real full recovery.

How bad they were at their worst, and during most of their illness. If they were milder, it seems more likely.

Good physical condition and health before they got sick may mean more likely to have a full recovery.

Also younger age may be good.

Was the recovery a slow progression of getting better and better?

Also many of the "cured" people still know the difference between their former health and now.

They can lead full lives and are very relieved about that, and most of us consider that cured, because of their functional level. But they are not 100%.

There could be some at 100% but I doubt it. I think it's like a healthy person having a serious injury. They may be fine after healing, but not 100%.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.

How long they were sick - the less time, the better chance of a real full recovery.

How bad they were at their worst, and during most of their illness. If they were milder, it seems more likely.

Good physical condition and health before they got sick may mean more likely to have a full recovery.

My first thought was just that. How long were you sick and how sick were you at your worst?

I don't know if anyone who was housebound ever got significantly better. I'd be happy to just stop the progression at this point.

overtrain

I have been there a few times. My advice is still be aware of signs. And make sure to work on your immune system, eating well, good supplements...... I relapse every time exercising.

I know a few that are mostly normal with some lingering symptoms but overall ok.
thank you! Are your relapses solely exercise-related, or also due to another variable, do you think? And when you have a set back, does it ever reach the intensity of your original illness, or start of this whole thing?

Watching the signs, supps, resting, good food are really key for me as i have always pushed myself harder than anyone i know. Thanks again.

overtrain

There are some reports, but few.

The problem is usually we can't know if they really had ME/CFS. (Maybe they just had adrenal fatigue or parasites dragging them down, which they are now cured of, or many other things it could be.)

Still I would be very worried about a relapse if I ever had a remission. If I knew what thing(s) caused my improvement then I would be less worried, in a way.
SickOfSickness
Oh yeah, this is CFS.

I did have adrenal fatigue and believe I had parasites (after many cleanses, stopped seeing weird things in toilet).

I have no clue what 'remissed' me but did feel a big turn after dealing w methylation issues.

thanks for your reply. :)

overtrain

SickOfSickness
Well, i have only been sick a bit over 2 years. Far less time than most ppl on this site, probably.

At worst, I got too weak to go to the ER anymore, or to walk or prepare food. I started putting affairs in order, or tried, but i was so out of it i couldn't even accomplish a simple list, a handwritten will, anything. I was crawling to the bathroom few times, & holding onto rails & taking a few steps at a time.

I acknowledge many have it worse than I had it. I have been housebound since dec. 2011, & this past summer started getting out about once or twice a week on my own for groceries.

Physical condition right as i got sick was peak; the best i have ever been in. I biked over 1,000 miles in less than 6 mo., & was very, very active DAILY, with no breaks in terms of physical activity at all (due to living sit.). Not sure, though, how health in general was, as i had lost a lot of weight and was too thin already. But i was rarely sick and am a lifelong vegetarian, eating excellent food, supplements, juicing, etc.

Younger? Nope. Old. Got sick at 49.
Recovery was *ridiculously* slow. I really saw zero improvement, just a downhill slide for many many months. I do get the sense i am still on the upslope, but if this is the best i will ever feel again, i'll take it. I was so low i wanted to die, just die, to make the suffering and medical abuse go away... Thanks

overtrain

Also many of the "cured" people still know the difference between their former health and now.

They can lead full lives and are very relieved about that, and most of us consider that cured, because of their functional level. But they are not 100%.

There could be some at 100% but I doubt it. I think it's like a healthy person having a serious injury. They may be fine after healing, but not 100%.
SickOfSickness
Yes, i see what you mean re the not 100% all the way back to normal (i broke my jaw once, & it works fine now, but not 100%).

overtrain

My first thought was just that. How long were you sick and how sick were you at your worst?

I don't know if anyone who was housebound ever got significantly better. I'd be happy to just stop the progression at this point.
minkeygirl

Thanks for the reply. I answered some of your q's below... I felt the same way about the progression... I made the mistake of STILL pushing myself during the early stages, but then, i also had the tired-wired thing bad. I seriously never thought i'd have my life back. I've been through a lot but this illness? I hope those darkest days/months are a low i'll never have to experience again. I'm so glad i hung on. We are all warriors, true troopers, each & every one of us.

overtrain

There's some kind of general consensus that you have to wait 5 years before you can claim recovery. Think this rule is related to cancer, not sure so don't quote me on that.

Did you notice a turning point in your illness - a date when things seemed to start improving, if you look at your illness retrospectively?
chronix

Hi. I did notice several turning points! Maybe too many to list here. Great Q.

I have kept a log of symptoms periodically, my temps (had ongoing fever for endless stretches), new things i was trying, even my thoughts to be able to look back & decipher if it was, after all, in part a nervous breakdown (LOL. NOT). I'll try to find them & post back at some point.

Turning Points:

Doxycycline. Definitely knocked the fever out FINALLY (ordered that off pet food site).
Dexamethasone. A friend gave me about 20. That temporary boost was phenomenal. Who knows but might have switched something back on. If i can ever figure out how to get 'em again, hel yeah.
Isocort. Def. improved me. Even just hydrocortisone gel still helps me daily.
Herbs, raw. Started feeling a difference when i upped raw teas.
Green powders. This, too, helped. It's like each thing has been incremental improvements... However, i'm leaving out all the disappointments- & there were MANY heartbreaking instances where i'd read about a thing that helped someone on this site, buy it, it would seem to work, then cease. Ugh.

Basically, it was not any one instance where i thought maybe i'm improving. It was an accretion of tiny things. Maybe the 1st instance was noticing i could take stairs without having to pull self up via handrails. At another point i saw i didnt have to touch handrails. Another was walking up stairs without having to preplan it. The victory! Was taking them two at a time!! And the first time w that i rem. thinking, hey, i used to do this ALL the time! (Was so happy i emailed everyone the news).

Noticed hair under arms and on legs, a few, growing in. That had stopped entirely the whole time.

Sleep... When i started sleeping, not only sleeping, but the entire night AND waking up better than going to bed. I used to feel so much worse when i got out of bed than when i got in it.

Turning point was not losing things as much, not stopping mid-sentence confused re what i was just saying. Being able to READ!!! I cldnt read for a year and 1/2. I cldnt follow simple directions, not even verbal. Cldnt even read bus sched, make basic calls, nor show up for appts. At some point i regained ability to RETAIN info.

Exercise! No longer knocked me out for 3 days to bike to get food. Ability to walk out front door at all much less unassisted was bigtime.

Appetite. Started getting that back. Gained weight finally. And stamina just walking around my house. I could walk without dizziness. Headaches went away. Neckaches still here but working on those.

About 6 mo. Back i rem. sensing i was 2/3 the way through this, that i had a ways to go but there might be better days. I can't emphasize enough how much i thought i was dead meat, & that if the rest of my life was going to be this bad, i didn't want to keep going. I would wake up and sob. I'd cry every single day. All i had was this site to not lose it entirely.

So i'm dreading prospect of losing it all again then to a lower point than i was. I'm lucky i'm alive at all, because the final ER visit, i told them i felt like my organs were shutting down. Yeah, they dismissed that. Hang on. You never know what the next 24 hrs will bring.

Last, as an aside, i would feel my symptoms change within the space of AN HOUR when i was at the worst. Thought i was going crazy. Just recently i read somewhere on here that that can happen in CFS/ME. god bless founders of phoenix rising for this lifesaving resource.

Good luck

Allyson

also It is a weird illness in that you may have worse and better periods - without them being actual full relapses and remissions

I agree that exercise then can undo all the remission

Ally

Seven7

Seven
thank you! Are your relapses solely exercise-related, or also due to another variable, do you think? And when you have a set back, does it ever reach the intensity of your original illness, or start of this whole thing?
Yes everytime was excercise, I can specifically remember what I tried: Second one I started doing Gillian video (the lady from The bigger looser), After a week ended in bed with a relapse that lasted 1 year. Third relapse time I started running. I was completely normal at that point. I run on and off every 2minutes first day for 20 min. Second day only could do like 6 minutes running couldnt even finish walking the 20. I Stopped and took over a few days later, only could do 2 minutes running and that sent me to bed till this day, that was a 2 year relapse and still trying to get out of it.

Like you I think is key to treat infection/sleep/hormones.... and go heavy on the nutrion. That is the only way out. I am in a pretty good path to feel normal again most of the time.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Sorry unable to read that, I have problems with too much text.

So 1. How long were you sick and 2. How sick were you? Homebound or still able to work?

mink

overtrain

Yes everytime was excercise, I can specifically remember what I tried: Second one I started doing Gillian video (the lady from The bigger looser), After a week ended in bed with a relapse that lasted 1 year. Third relapse time I started running. I was completely normal at that point. I run on and off every 2minutes first day for 20 min. Second day only could do like 6 minutes running couldnt even finish walking the 20. I Stopped and took over a few days later, only could do 2 minutes running and that sent me to bed till this day, that was a 2 year relapse and still trying to get out of it.

Like you I think is key to treat infection/sleep/hormones.... and go heavy on the nutrion. That is the only way out. I am in a pretty good path to feel normal again most of the time.
@Inester7

Wow! Sorry to read that... I will now really watch overdoing exercise. Have you tried detoxification at all? Ever take L-Glutamine after exercising? Does anything seem to help?

overtrain

also It is a weird illness in that you may have worse and better periods - without them being actual full relapses and remissions

I agree that exercise then can undo all the remission

Ally
Yes, & that's one of the supremely confounding things about this is how weird it is with better and worse times apropos of nothing and it just keeps morphing like Frankenstein. Thanks for the post.