• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Stanford Study

Would you like to be in a study for people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Stanford University is seeking participants for a Clinical Trial entitled: Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled, Parallel Group Study to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of Methylphenidate Hydrochloride as a treatment for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in Patients taking a CFS-Specific Nutrient Formula.

Our team is looking for participants between 18 and 59 years old who suffer from cognitive impairment who are not on CNS stimulants or valcyte. This study requires 4 visits at Stanford as well as 4 telephone contacts. As part of the study, participants will be compensated for their time at the Stanford location.

Participation in the study involves doing a
20-30 minute phone-screening interview.

If you are eligible, you will be invited to come to Stanford for:
3 study visits and 1 screen visit within a 3 and 1/2 month period.

You will be compensated with $50 4-6 weeks after each study visit (3 visits) at Stanford to reimburse you for your time and participation.

If you are interested in participating or have any questions, please contact one of the study coordinators,

Jane Norris, at (650) 723-8126 or
Ian Valencia, at (650) 723-7328,

For general information about participant rights, contact
1-866-680-2906.

You're probably going to make CFS patients worse in the long term by giving them stimulants.
Yeah, it's never sustainable. And drugs messing with dopamine scare me. And don't seem like they'd help much since I've never heard of dopamine production being particularly low in ME patients. In fact, I think my last values were quite high.

The NRI aspect might help a bit, but maybe not since it's so weak compared to the dopamine effect. But I have found a pretty specific NRI (Strattera) to be quite helpful for Orthostatic Intolerance. And suppressing the ADRA2A gene expression more directly with Yohimbe has been even more effective for OI, PEM, and reduced GI motility in the past week or while I've been trying it.

ME/CFS isn't "fatigue". We really don't need stimulants, and generally can't handle them anyhow.

A.B.

ME/CFS isn't "fatigue". We really don't need stimulants, and generally can't handle them anyhow.

Fatigue is difficult to define. It's not incorrect to say that ME/CFS patients suffer from fatigue in my opinion, it should just be clarified that this is not the usual fatigue that everybody knows.

My experience with a dopamine agonist was: one month doing pretty well, followed by a horrific crash lasting six months. Ever since I'm scared stimulants.

The underlying illness is more complex than a lack of motivation that could be fixed with drugs that increase drive and motivation.

I believe the lack of motivation is a natural and correct response by the body attempting to conserve what little energy is left.