• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Supps to Australia

Journeyman

Having just read up on Fredd's protocol (deadlock quartet) I'm looking to order some supplements/vitamins soon which is a big financial committment. At this stage it looks like iherb.com should give me the recommended products (Jarrow / Enzyme Therapy) but I'm sure I'm not the first Australian to order these products and so am keen to hear how other Australians are obtaining these supplements and any precautions they might recommend?
My prime interest is quality of the product followed by price and delivery reliability.

Cheers,

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Another place that ships to Australia, has the same things iHerb has and is cheaper than iHerb price-wise (not sure about shipping) is www.pureformulas.com.

I can't speak to their reliability for international shipping but I order from them all the time and have no problems and they have excellent customer service.

Sea

I've shopped with iherb several times now and have been pleased with how quickly they deliver. My orders have been filled accurately.

They have a list on their website of things that you shouldn't order for import into Australia, I guess if you tried to order any of those you might run into customs trouble. Also they say that powders can sometimes be delayed in customs. So far I've ordered Potassium gluconate and Magnesium Citrate in powdered forms - but I chose not to order them with my first iherb order and I didn't include them with a big order in case there was trouble. So far, no problems.

For brands I choose what is recommended on here rather than what is the cheapest

Pureformulas only have free shipping to US and territories. Though they say they ship internationally everything I put into a shopping cart is removed with the message "this item is not available to export to Australia"

I've also ordered from Prohealth with no problems though they do take longer to deliver unless you want to pay the more expensive postage

ahmo

Hi Journeyman. I've been using iherb for years. Always fast and reliable. If you use DHL and order on, eg. Friday, you'll likely receive your order by the following Friday, always by the Monday after that. I've just ordered my first in a long time as regular International shipping, for under $80/2 kg. It takes a little longer, but generally less than 2 weeks.

I'm using Deadlock Qtet components L Carnitine Fumarate: Source Naturals or Dr's Best; AdenoB12: Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex; Enzymatic Therapies B12; Nutricology or (? Enzymatic Therapies? can't remember name, blue label, identical formula) Methylfolate as Quatre-Activ Folate. Also, the larger your order, the greater the discount taken off. cheers, ahmo

Journeyman

I've shopped with iherb several times now and have been pleased with how quickly they deliver. My orders have been filled accurately.

They have a list on their website of things that you shouldn't order for import into Australia, I guess if you tried to order any of those you might run into customs trouble. Also they say that powders can sometimes be delayed in customs. So far I've ordered Potassium gluconate and Magnesium Citrate in powdered forms - but I chose not to order them with my first iherb order and I didn't include them with a big order in case there was trouble. So far, no problems.

For brands I choose what is recommended on here rather than what is the cheapest

Pureformulas only have free shipping to US and territories. Though they say they ship internationally everything I put into a shopping cart is removed with the message "this item is not available to export to Australia"

I've also ordered from Prohealth with no problems though they do take longer to deliver unless you want to pay the more expensive postage

Hehe you must have been well chuffed with Pureformula's after you carefully picked out all your products only to have them all removed when you clicked checkout. Looks like iHerb's gonna be a winner. Re: the issues of certain supps not being allowed into Aus thankfully I'm not in need of any of the ones that are banned (DHEA etc.) Did your potassium come through ok? How long does it usually take to arrive (Im in BNE). I found Life Extension, for example, took 2.5 weeks to arrive... and it came via Fiji.

Sea

Hehe you must have been well chuffed with Pureformula's after you carefully picked out all your products only to have them all removed when you clicked checkout. Looks like iHerb's gonna be a winner. Re: the issues of certain supps not being allowed into Aus thankfully I'm not in need of any of the ones that are banned (DHEA etc.) Did your potassium come through ok? How long does it usually take to arrive (Im in BNE). I found Life Extension, for example, took 2.5 weeks to arrive... and it came via Fiji.

Thankfully I hadn't invested too much brain function in my choices for Pureformulas. I just added a couple of things that I usually take to the shopping cart so I could check how much the shipping would be. When they were removed I tried a few more things rather randomly.

My orders from iherb have arrived in 7-10 days, no problem with the potassium.

Journeyman

Hi Journeyman. I've been using iherb for years. Always fast and reliable. If you use DHL and order on, eg. Friday, you'll likely receive your order by the following Friday, always by the Monday after that. I've just ordered my first in a long time as regular International shipping, for under $80/2 kg. It takes a little longer, but generally less than 2 weeks.

I'm using Deadlock Qtet components L Carnitine Fumarate: Source Naturals or Dr's Best; AdenoB12: Anabol Naturals Dibencoplex; Enzymatic Therapies B12; Nutricology or (? Enzymatic Therapies? can't remember name, blue label, identical formula) Methylfolate as Quatre-Activ Folate. Also, the larger your order, the greater the discount taken off. cheers, ahmo

V helpful Ahmo - am now about to press 'go' on an iHerb order amounting to almost $200 !

I've got all the recommended products to address each of the 4 in the deadlock quartet but am looking at adding Potassium and Lithium. It looks like adding these will be necessary to get my order up to the weight at which international shipping (referred to as 'Global Priority Mail by DHL') becomes a selectable option for my order and thus save me $8 on shipping costs...
PS I'm particularly keen on using this delivery method as I want it delivered to a PO Box which I see the first option :DHL Express International' recommends against.

Sea: Your post was also most helpful and I note your remarks about powdered supplements (specifically potassium gluconate) which now leads me to ask: Why not get potassium tablets instead of powder? and how many orders have you successfully received where potassium was included and does anybody know whether theres any difficulties at customs re: Lithium orotate.

You'll see from this: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/lithium-orotate-methylation-and-thyroid.24189/
that Lithium would make an important addition to my order noting my SHTM+/- and MTFR 677T +/- which promotes lithium excretion and I've already had hair analysis before methylation which showed lithium to be low.

Sea

V helpful Ahmo - am now about to press 'go' on an iHerb order amounting to almost $200 !

I've got all the recommended products to address each of the 4 in the deadlock quartet but am looking at adding Potassium and Lithium. It looks like adding these will be necessary to get my order up to the weight at which international shipping (referred to as 'Global Priority Mail by DHL') becomes a selectable option for my order and thus save me $8 on shipping costs...
PS I'm particularly keen on using this delivery method as I want it delivered to a PO Box which I see the first option :DHL Express International' recommends against.

Sea: Your post was also most helpful and I note your remarks about powdered supplements (specifically potassium gluconate) which now leads me to ask: Why not get potassium tablets instead of powder? and how many orders have you successfully received where potassium was included and does anybody know whether theres any difficulties at customs re: Lithium orotate.

You'll see from this: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/lithium-orotate-methylation-and-thyroid.24189/
that Lithium would make an important addition to my order noting my SHTM+/- and MTFR 677T +/- which promotes lithium excretion and I've already had hair analysis before methylation which showed lithium to be low.

I don't think a minimum weight is required for a postage option. There are extra charges for additional weight and I think there are maximum weights for some options (though I don't think a supplement order would ever come anywhere near the maximum allowed) All the options are available to me even with only one item in my cart but I have always used the first option:

DHL Express- International — $8.00
Flat $8.00 for 8 pounds! $1.00 for each additional pound
Usually Takes 2-4 days, with tracking number
Please don’t use a P.O. (post office) box. Max 150 lbs.
Estimated Delivery Range: October 30, 2013 - November 01, 2013

I receive my order delivered in person to my door in about a week. If I am not home they leave a card with a phone number and I can arrange delivery at a suitable time. I've had 3 orders from iherb so far with powder included in only one of them.

If you choose the option that allows you to use a PO box I think that is the slowest delivery (2-4 weeks) and no tracking.

Potassium powder delivers much higher value for money than the tablets as potassium needs can get quite high on a methylation protocol. Also I use the powder in my diy electrolyte mix which is helpful for OI/POTS.

One of the risks with potassium tablets is irritation/ulceration of the stomach lining. I believe potassium powder, mixed in the appropriate amount of liquid and not taken on an empty stomach has far less risk.

Sorry I don't know anything about Lithium (yet)

ahmo

Journeyman, I' m living in a small town south of Coffs Harbor. If I'm not home, I find a fail to deliver card in my letter box, and can then p/u from post office. No problems. You can find lithium orotate from Orthomolecular Products on iherb. I've been using 1/4 cap/day with excellent results. I agree w/ everything Sea says re potassium. I've started using it in my footbaths, along w/ my other powders, w/ fantastic results. But drinking it was quite ok for many years. cheers, ahmo

Sea

Journeyman, I' m living in a small town south of Coffs Harbor. If I'm not home, I find a fail to deliver card in my letter box, and can then p/u from post office. No problems. You can find lithium orotate from Orthomolecular Products on iherb. I've been using 1/4 cap/day with excellent results. I agree w/ everything Sea says re potassium. I've started using it in my footbaths, along w/ my other powders, w/ fantastic results. But drinking it was quite ok for many years. cheers, ahmo

Hey we're not that far apart! I'm about 2 hours north of Coffs

Journeyman

Hey we're not that far apart! I'm about 2 hours north of Coffs
You guys (ahmo and Sea) rock... I don't think I could possibly have any more questions re: ordering/delivery now you've both explained your experiences in so much detail. Late last night I placed two orders using Global DHL (international air mail) given my preference for delivery to a PO box rather than my unit complex. One of my concerns with using DHL Express (the first option) was that if they tried to deliver to my unit while I'm not home they would leave it at the front of the complex as I've seen with many other items delivered to other people in the complex. It seems this concern might be a little unfounded now I see that in both your cases they've always left a card rather than carelessly leaving it at the complex door... ah well at least I'm saving on postage .-)

PS - on reading further re: the delivery options its clear they indicate that items sent via the DHL Air Express option are more likely subject to inspection by customs so if theres anything you might have borderline concerns about having shipped remember the Global DHL option (the slower internation mail option PO Box friendly) appears better in that regard...

Now to place my final orders....

ahmo

Journeyman, I've never had a DHL parcel opened. I've had the slow mail opened several times over the years, not for a very long time.

Hey Sea, I'm at Nambucca Heads.:thumbsup: