• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Correlation between D'Adamo's genotype theory and gene results

Journeyman

As a person whose explored may different areas of medicine to try and understand their own shortcomings I've found a potentially interesting overlap in the genotype diet as espoused by Peter D'Adamo and what I've learned from genetic polymorphisms as it relates the more generalised study of methylation.

I first learnt about the genotype theory about mid 2012 after a relative of mine told me that Peter D'Adamo had advanced his previous theories on the blood type diet into this new more advanced system. I did the measurements per his book and identified myself as the 'teacher' genotype and adopted the 'diamond' foods.

Sure enough I was higher functioning and the irony is that many of the foods indicated as positive for my genotype (Peanuts, turkey, goat meat, cabbage, brussel sprouts) were foods I craved so it was all very positive. As I learnt more about orthomolecular medicine (a separate interest area) I branched out into studying methylation which led me onto this very exciting area of epigenetics were I then had my SNP's revealed via the 23& Me testing protocol.

I've found it very interesting (particularly the detox panel results) which showed I had heterozygous mutations as per the image that should be attached to this post.
Detox Profile Results (Genetic Genie) for posting.jpg

PS - I've had great difficulty capturing a screenshot of the full panel such that it shows all the SNP's in the table but is still on the one page captured by the screenshot : that little block of red you see at the very bottom is the one SNP that couldn't be tested or detected for whatever reason: GSTP1: important?

Basically CYP2D6, CYP1B1 and CYP1A2. With (more importantly?) a homozygous mutation for CYP2C19*17

I found, after the helpful interpretation of these results courtesy Valentijn, that many of these enzymes fell under the P450 category which I recall being referenced in the D'Adamo literature. I also learnt after checking each of my affected SNP's that they collectively dealt with xenobiotic metabolism. It was fascinating the read that certain foods were known to increase the enzymes that I was left deficient in by virtue of my SNP's eg: cabbage and broccoli noting what D'Adamo indicated as being beneficial foods for my genetic type.

I also always had big problems with gynecomastia in spite of eating a diet geared towards minimising estrogens. It does seem to show that the teacher genotype which was worked out based on my relative limb measurements etc. has been proven correct by the genetic tests I've had done.

I'm interested to know if anyone else has found similar results between the genotype results obtained from the D'Adamo system and what has been indicated by their genetic tests which from what I can see paint the even more accurate/personalised picture...

Helen

PS - I've had great difficulty capturing a screenshot of the full panel such that it shows all the SNP's in the table but is still on the one page captured by the screenshot : that little block of red you see at the very bottom is the one SNP that couldn't be tested or detected for whatever reason: GSTP1: important?

Hi Journeyman,

Yes, the GST-genes are very important (GSTM1, GSTP1, GSTT1 and maybe more). If they are defect you can´t make the enzyme glutathione-s.transferase. That enzyme is necessary for the glutathione beeing able to bind to toxins a.o.

First, most -if not all - people with ME/CFS have MTHFR mutation(s) with an impaired folate metabolism. Then we also have MTR/MTRR mutation(s) which leads to an impaired vitamin B12 metabolism. Together , or each of the group of mutations, might cause an impaired methylation. Impaired methylation is equal to decreased level of glutathione.

So, we end up to have less than normal of glutathione, and second with GST mutations too, we have an impaired ability to make use of the decreased amount of glutathione that we do have. Two of the most important pathways for detoxification are in that case impaired with all its consequences.

Interesting that Dr. Adamo has been looking at the genetics. Thanks for the information!

Helen

stridor

I have some gynecomastia as well. I have CYP1B1L432V ++ which is a "breast cancer gene" in men. It means that I do not break down estrogen properly. I am supposed to avoid caffeine which raises estrogen levels. I also avoid soy.
What are the other dietary things that you do?

Journeyman

I have some gynecomastia as well. I have CYP1B1L432V ++ which is a "breast cancer gene" in men. It means that I do not break down estrogen properly. I am supposed to avoid caffeine which raises estrogen levels. I also avoid soy.
What are the other dietary things that you do?

Avoiding soy was an important one, but I also (and still do) eat a diet with low saturated fat, low GI. I also pay attention to the timing of my eating with regular protein intake to ensure a fast metabolism and ensuring no dinner within 3 hours of going to bed.

Thats interesting re: caffeine being an estrogen agonist..... I wonder is that because of its copper content....

Journeyman

Hi Journeyman,

Yes, the GST-genes are very important (GSTM1, GSTP1, GSTT1 and maybe more). If they are defect you can´t make the enzyme glutathione-s.transferase. That enzyme is necessary for the glutathione beeing able to bind to toxins a.o.

First, most -if not all - people with ME/CFS have MTHFR mutation(s) with an impaired folate metabolism. Then we also have MTR/MTRR mutation(s) which leads to an impaired vitamin B12 metabolism. Together , or each of the group of mutations, might cause an impaired methylation. Impaired methylation is equal to decreased level of glutathione.

So, we end up to have less than normal of glutathione, and second with GST mutations too, we have an impaired ability to make use of the decreased amount of glutathione that we do have. Two of the most important pathways for detoxification are in that case impaired with all its consequences.

Interesting that Dr. Adamo has been looking at the genetics. Thanks for the information!

Helen

Thanks for pointing that out about the GST genes. I guess the remaining question for me is how important is GSTT1 to net Glutathione (active) output given I have no mutations on the other GST genes as per my detox panel.. Perhaps a detox guru might be able to offer some insights...?

Helen

Thanks for pointing that out about the GST genes. I guess the remaining question for me is how important is GSTT1 to net Glutathione (active) output given I have no mutations on the other GST genes as per my detox panel.. Perhaps a detox guru might be able to offer some insights...?

Do you really get that complete information about your GST gene mutations from the 23andme test? @ kday, maybe can clear this out for us?

I been taught that the GST genes "serve" different organs in the body so I think this, as so many other facts are a bit more complicated than we just can count on net outputs. I too hope to hear from a detox guru, as this has been neglected too much so far I think. Maybe soon it will be you :)

Dr. Amy Yasko though, has written in a personal e-mail that her experience is that an impaired methylation seems to be worse than GST-mutations thinking of possibilities and risks with detox protocols. But the good thing is that the methylation can be supported with supplements as B12 and folates (my comment).

This article from Dr. Mark Hyman, is interesting I think http://drhyman.com/downloads/Dementia-Myth.pdf. He writes about both GST genes and methylation among others.

Helen

Journeyman

Do you really get that complete information about your GST gene mutations from the 23andme test? @ kday, maybe can clear this out for us?

I been taught that the GST genes "serve" different organs in the body so I think this, as so many other facts are a bit more complicated than we just can count on net outputs. I too hope to hear from a detox guru, as this has been neglected too much so far I think. Maybe soon it will be you :)

Dr. Amy Yasko though, has written in a personal e-mail that her experience is that an increased methylation seem to be worse than GST-mutations thinking of possibilities and risks with detox protocols. But the good thing is that the methylation can be supported with supplements as B12 and folates (my comment).

This article from Dr. Mark Hyman, is interesting I think http://drhyman.com/downloads/Dementia-Myth.pdf. He writes about both GST genes and methylation among others.

Helen

I love Dr Hyman's paradigm for the new 'healthcare' of the future: personalised treatment of individuals based on genetics and symptoms rather than diagnosis

Good find there Helen.. bookmarked for future reference! Also agree re: any confirmation re: the GST gene (obviously in my case ! lol)

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Journeyman, how do you know you are defficient in these enzymes? I havent been able to dillucidate if these CYP genetic polimorphisms are up OR downregulations. I have a nice cluster of homozigous mutations in the CYP1 "family" so I am really interested in this.

GSTP1 is important. This glutathione enzyme gene is related with detoxing the skin AND brain. I have it homozigous too. I have been diagnosed with a slight/mild Asperger´s prior to developing some CFS symptoms.

http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=717624

My understanding is that the GST genes don't create glutathione - rather they take reduced glutathione and join it up with certain substances so that the glutathione can detox them. The different GST genes join up the glutathione with different toxic substances.

So having a GST mutation or missing gene doesn't mean that glutathion levels are low, or that there's a problem with all detoxing. It just means there's a problem with detoxing a specific type of substances. I'm missing GSTT1, like 15% of all Europeans, which means that there's a greater risk of cancer, and that there are some known substances which I won't tolerate.

Because the GST genes are catalysts, they simply accelerate reactions. Hence even without GSTT1 or some other GST gene, there will still be a little activity between glutathione and the GSTT1-related toxins, it's just much less efficient. Hence it might help to encourage excessive glutathione production, as there's a better chance of it meeting up with the appropriate substances and doing its job if there's more glutathione floating around.

Journeyman

Journeyman, how do you know you are defficient in these enzymes? I havent been able to dillucidate if these CYP genetic polimorphisms are up OR downregulations. I have a nice cluster of homozigous mutations in the CYP1 "family" so I am really interested in this.

GSTP1 is important. This glutathione enzyme gene is related with detoxing the skin AND brain. I have it homozigous too. I have been diagnosed with a slight/mild Asperger´s prior to developing some CFS symptoms.

http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=717624

A good question and I think you raise a useful point that I've seen overlooked by many who assume that mutation must mean deficiency or a problem. Moreover I think you've pointed out the one aspect missing from the Genetic Genie panel interpretations: the fact there is none for the detox panel. I've tried to find out when this might be forthcoming and their site suggests that they were seeking suitably qualified writers but that was a post from January 2013... Seems to be slow coming....

In my case I'm fairly confident its a deficiency given the fact I've had gynecomastia in spite of taking many steps to avoid ie: my diagnosis seems to support the notion that I'm deficient in these enzymes (I have many mutations on enzymes responsible for xenobiotic metabolism)

I like knowing things more definitively but till theres a valid interpretation I'm gonna have to run with a bit of applied intuition....

Journeyman

My understanding is that the GST genes don't create glutathione - rather they take reduced glutathione and join it up with certain substances so that the glutathione can detox them. The different GST genes join up the glutathione with different toxic substances.

So having a GST mutation or missing gene doesn't mean that glutathion levels are low, or that there's a problem with all detoxing. It just means there's a problem with detoxing a specific type of substances. I'm missing GSTT1, like 15% of all Europeans, which means that there's a greater risk of cancer, and that there are some known substances which I won't tolerate.

Because the GST genes are catalysts, they simply accelerate reactions. Hence even without GSTT1 or some other GST gene, there will still be a little activity between glutathione and the GSTT1-related toxins, it's just much less efficient. Hence it might help to encourage excessive glutathione production, as there's a better chance of it meeting up with the appropriate substances and doing its job if there's more glutathione floating around.

As usual your insights are invaluable Valentijn. I thought that perhaps there was just some error in testing but now with the help of your input I'm fairly sure that I'm simply absent this GSTT1 gene (I'm northern european)
So which toxins and sources are our concern in the absence of this gene??

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Well in that case you could try DIM, it detoxes estrogen and induces all the CYP1 enzymes. I know that the Enzymathic Therapy brand works. Bodybuilders use it when they get gyno.

A down or upregulation are both bad. There is no good mutation in the detox panel lol We either metabolize estrogen too efficiently or too slowly.etc. The results are only good if you are absent. Although that can be even worse, for me getting "normal and healthy" results in tests is always worse than getting something. Because I feel like shit and these tests say otherwise, which means they didnt find the problem. If you get some unhealthy result you can work from that.

As usual your insights are invaluable Valentijn. I thought that perhaps there was just some error in testing but now with the help of your input I'm fairly sure that I'm simply absent this GSTT1 gene (I'm northern european)
So which toxins and sources are our concern in the absence of this gene??
If yours looks like mine, then something like 17 out of 20 SNPs for the gene show no call.

As far as the problems caused by it, that's something I need to look into more when I'm feeling better and have the time. But generally speaking: take it easy on your liver. I recall amitriptyline and rituximab being problematic, because I have a special interest in those. But I think NSAIDs may have been implicated as well. And maybe environmental pollutants.

Journeyman

Well in that case you could try DIM, it detoxes estrogen and induces all the CYP1 enzymes. I know that the Enzymathic Therapy brand works. Bodybuilders use it when they get gyno.

A down or upregulation are both bad. There is no good mutation in the detox panel lol We either metabolize estrogen too efficiently or too slowly.etc. The results are only good if you are absent. Although that can be even worse, for me getting "normal and healthy" results in tests is always worse than getting something. Because I feel like shit and these tests say otherwise, which means they didnt find the problem. If you get some unhealthy result you can work from that.

I know how you feel. Coming from a university educated background and being an analytical person by nature I thought I would always be able to find solutions to my functional shortcomings, however gynecomastia was one I never could beat. Ironically our path towards health enlightenment can sometimes bring us to the solution momentarily but then some other knowledge is lacking to complete it. For example I was into the gym community from 2004 to 2009 which was the time the gyne really started to become problematic. I took DIM from 2006 to 2007 but didn't notice much difference and so gave i t away and stumbled onto other 'solutions' which didn't work either. The missing piece of the puzzle, in hindsight, of course seems to be the lack of SNP knowledge to address the whole methylation cycle which is actually half of the detox process if your interconnected cycles are broken as mine surely were back when I was just taking DIM and little else... For you I think the solution shouldn't be too far away. I really feel that genetics is where its at in terms of addressing your problems at the core. Don't underestimate the importance of positivity. Its easy to dismiss it as a societal panacea but I'll never forget a recent documentary I saw on psychology which said that humans are driven largely by their unconscious, and that the unconscious was proven to specifically ignore negative information even when it might be useful to oneself. However positive information was retained many times more effectively. From your perspective this might mean that remaining positive will increase your tolerance for the negative information that you might somehow (even unconsciously) be avoiding or failing to acknowledge... It also makes this journey of finding solutions that much easier too. I've found brainwave entrainment to be very useful for invoking a better frame of mind. The Quantum Mind Power system and Kelly Howell's binaural beats have helped me in these regards.