• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poop pill to heal gut

MonkeyMan

This sounds very promising and as though the research is translating to a viable treatment much faster than expected.

Nice to have some good news today!

Yes, this is VERY exciting news. If anyone knows some way to obtain these "poop pills", please post.

Drew

globalpilot

A story on our local news channel the other night about a young girl with UC confined to a wheelchair.
she completely recovered with poop infusions. No wheelchair, no UC. 100% recovery. They didn't say how many infusions she did but it was obvious it was more than one.

i think i have ask this before, but what is so different between this and probiotics ? Fresh ? Live ? - then yogurt or kefir or Kombucha ? The amount ? The different kinds/strains ? The technique ? - antibiotics before ? fasting/clear bowels before ? What processing is done first ?

The other thing is that is seems (probably) difficult enough to get it for c. Diff, I can only imagine it to be so much more difficult and longer time to wait for other conditions like ME... I do think it has some potential. Is our problem "all in our gut"? Many times it seems there is a connection at least.

MonkeyMan

i think i have ask this before, but what is so different between this and probiotics ? Fresh ? Live ? - then yogurt or kefir or Kombucha ? The amount ? The different kinds/strains ? The technique ? - antibiotics before ? fasting/clear bowels before ? What processing is done first ?

The other thing is that is seems (probably) difficult enough to get it for c. Diff, I can only imagine it to be so much more difficult and longer time to wait for other conditions like ME... I do think it has some potential. Is our problem "all in our gut"? Many times it seems there is a connection at least.

That's a very good question, AbbyDear. I'm not an expert, but I think it's a question of (1) the sheer quantity of bacteria that are in the fecal transplants / poop pills vs in probiotics/kefir/yogurt (2) the number of different species/strains of bacteria that you would receive with one versus the other, and (3) the symbiotic, or even synergistic, relationships among the various bacteria in the gut's "rainforest" that are largely absent in probiotic compounds. The following video is HIGHLY recommended if you want to learn more.

http://www.autismcanada.org/scientificsymposium/2012/vids/004_Emma_Allen/

Drew

Wayne

Thanks much Manuela B. for posting this. Looks like a great resource for those of us who are interested in whether this is something to pursue or not. Making it easier for both clinicians and patients sounds like a much needed service. --- Here's the welcome message at the link provided:
Welcome to OpenBiome.

Why we're here:
We founded OpenBiome, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, after watching a friend and family member suffer through 18 months of C. difficile and 7 rounds of vancomycin before finally receiving a successful, life-changing Fecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT). The remarkable efficacy of this treatment and the great lengths required to receive it convinced us that we needed to help expand access. After many discussions with local clinicians and the FDA, we launched OpenBiome in 2012 to make FMT faster and easier for patients and doctors alike.

What we do:
We work with clinicians to make FMT easier, cheaper, safer and more widely available. We do so by providing hospitals with screened, filtered, and frozen material ready for clinical use. This service eliminates the time, staff, protocols, and facilities needed to screen and prepare material from new donors for each treatment. With OpenBiome, all that’s needed to deliver FMT is a doctor and a colonoscope.

Wayne

@Wayne
only for those in the US!!
I'd try it in a heartbeat if it was available locally to me.
Well come on over. There's only this little pond between us! :D Actually, I wonder if it could be sent without a prescription. Perhaps there's some contacts here in the US that might be able to help you out. ;)

JT1024

There are clinical trials here in the US. I suspect there are or will be trials outside the US as well.

A family friend received the "poop pills" in a clinical trial at Massachusetts General Hospital. I just did a quick search and it appears there are trials in Europe as well.

They are using these for things beyond C. difficile infection. I saw one trial where they were using it for Crohn's.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@JT1024
I don't think anyone with ME would get on a trial......... and in the UK...well you'd probably get sectioned for asking:)
I do have diverticulitus but probably not a serious enough condition, who knows though it may happen, I'll keep my ears peeled.