• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What type of B12 are you taking?

What type of B12 do you take?

• Cyanocobalamin

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Methylcobalamin

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Hydroxycobalamin

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Adenosylcobalamin

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • B12 vitamin (if you dont know the specific type of B12 in the vitamin)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roxie60

Not interested in the medium right now (shots, pill, lozenge, liquid, cream et al) just which kind you are taking that you feel is/has made you feel/function better (or even if you dont think it is helping like in my case). If you want you can reply to this thread and let people know the medium you use and brand if you want and feel it has been helpful to you. What made you start taking the B12 (blood test result, dr's advice)?

I was told I was B12 deficient over 3 years ago. I was on cyano shots 2x's per month and they did nothing for me. The had MTHFR test 1.5 yrs ago and I was hetero A1298C so Dr suspected methylation problem (boy what a rabbit hole that turned out to be but it is also what brought me to PR ;)) so moved me to Metanx and MB12 sublinqual. I am still reporting no benefit (at least not what others ave reported). Starting to think I may need a different variety, I have mentioned this at least twice to my Dr and been dismissed.

I am curious to see which varieties are used most. I realize if you pick the vitamin option you may be taking cyano or methyl, this is more an option for those who are not sure what variety is in their vitamin/supplement. I didnt want to post other, I wanted people to be able to acknowledge they are taking a supplement for B12 even if they dont now what type. Thanks for particpating in the poll.

You can pick more than one if you indeed take more than one variety.

helen1

I take all three, adB12, mB12 and hyB12. The adenyl form I take due to a high MMA level. The hydroxyl form is to let my body use the amount it needs without overdriving methylation and the methyl form I take in case I'm not converting the hydroxyl form well.
My MMA levels have decreased. My MCV has decreased as well. So that's all going in the right direction. Because I've titrated up very slowly, I haven't had the insomnia problems I've had before with B12.

roxie60

interesting, I did not know B12 could cause/contribute to insomnia. I had horrible insomnia (might get two hrs sleep at a time, maybe) when I was on the cyano shots. My sleep is still not great (flipped cycle, cant sleep at night, cant get up in AM). I never occurred to me that B12 could affect sleep. Is it any B12 type that can affect sleep? Or just having a B12 deficiency affect sleep. I ave to go back and look at the list of B12 deficiency symps. Thanks for sharing that. I had heard some people were taking two varieities but you are the first I heard takes three varieties.

roxie60

I get my uMMA and serum B12 results back hopefully by Tues. The waiting for results is aggravating, I'm wondering if my MMA is high even though my serum B12 is high. That is my theory, that I maybe functional B12 def. I also have wanted to try the other two varieties to see if they make a difference. I started Lithium Orotate 3 weeks ago and initially within thirty minutes I felt my brain get clearer (did not feel like thoughts slogging thru mud). That only lasted on the first 4-5 doses. Now when I take it I feel nothing. Just as with the Synthroid generic, the first week I took it I swear on those days I had increased energy and clearer mind for 3-6 hrs. Now a month later and I dont feel anything, back to the fatigue and other symps. It is almost like my body responded correctly to the new meds/supplements (there were exceptions where I had bad reactions to supps/meds) and then just stopped a week or two later. No wonder I'm going mad.

Sea

I guess fewer people are using B12 than I thought.

I didn't answer on the poll because I'm still experimenting with types and dosage.

I became interested in trialling B12 when I learned about the methylation protocols being helpful for many.

My doctor agrees I need B12 and folate because I have macrocytosis (MCV 103 range 80 -98) even though my serum levels aren't showing as low. He has given me both methylcobalamin and hydroxocobalamin injections. I've also done some experimenting with MB12 and AdB12 sublinguals and am waiting on some HB12 to arrive in the mail.

It is far too early in this process for me to make any conclusions other than that I cannot tolerate MB12 for long.

roxie60

Understood but I hoped people would find it of value knowing what others were using. I for one though Mb12 would be the most popular and I'm surprised so many are using Hb12. Looking at this as a learning tool.

stridor

B12 can be activating when taken too late in the day. Generally B12 will help with sleep (not sure for those with COMT). It helps with serotonin to melatonin conversion I thought I read. Put B12 and melatonin into google - something will come up.