• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is testing absolutely necessary before starting methylation?

I strongly believe this opinion should be supported with references.
Folic acid can become elevated if MTHFR mutations prevent much of it from being transformed into folate. The typical lab tests do not distinguish between the forms.

Crux

Folic acid can become elevated if MTHFR mutations prevent much of it from being transformed into folate. The typical lab tests do not distinguish between the forms.

True, but adding methylfolate is not going to lower the elevation.

The serum folate test is non-specific of the types of folates, as is the RBC folate, but from my own experience, having an elevated serum folate has been an indicator of inflammation.

The symptoms were: migraines with nausea, generalized pain, and swollen, inflammed gums lips,etc.

This even occurred when I was avoiding folic acid. The serum folate was still elevated, and the symptoms remained.
( my serum folate was 34.1 ng/ml. normal range: (3-21 ng/ml )

I don't believe it's a good idea to recommend more folate to someone with elevated folate.

catly

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Because I don't know what is really going on in regards to b12 and folic acid, I've made an appointment with an Integrated Medical Group near me. I spoke to the nutritionist, he said they have a lot of experience with methylation. I'm going to ask to have a methlylation panel done, if they don't have one they normally do I'll suggest the Health Diagnositics or Nutraeval--which ever is easiest/less expensive. Hopefully they will honor my request. My appointment is in less than 2 weeks. I also ordered the 23 and me test yesterday. So hopefully I'll have a bunch of tests back around the same time to get a better picture of my situation and a baseline prior to implementing any supplementation.

Crux, as far as your observation regarding high folate levels and inflammation, I have a lot of inflammation--it was particularly bad when I had my last folate level done. I had a high ANA(1:320), joint pain, burning eyes etc. My TPO antibodies, indicative of Hashimotos was also really high (908) as well. So maybe there is a correlation--I definitely feel my CFS is more of the autoimmune nature.

Crux

Hi Catly,

I think you are wise to go with more specific testing. I'm glad you've found some experienced practitioners. I understand they're difficult to find.

You've had alot of pain and illness, and the goal here is to promote your well being.

My very best to you! Please write to us about your experience, there's so much more to learn.

Thanks!