• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study: Specific Carbohydrate Diet used in Crohn's

Glynis Steele

Hi everyone,

I know some here on the PR forum use the SCD or GAPS diet, and thought this would be of interest. It is ahead of print, from the Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition.

http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Abstra...apy_in_Pediatric_Crohn_s_Disease__.98532.aspx

Nutritional Therapy in Pediatric Crohn's Disease: The Specific Carbohydrate Diet

Suskind, David L.; Wahbeh, Ghassan; Gregory, Nila; Vendettuoli, Heather; Christie, Dennis

Published Ahead-of-Print

Abstract

Crohn's disease is characterized by chronic intestinal inflammation in the absence of a recognized etiology. Nutritional therapy in the form of exclusive enteral nutrition (EEN) has an established role within pediatric Crohn's disease. Following EEN's success, many dietary therapies focusing on the elimination of specific complex carbohydrates have been anecdotally reported to be successful. Many of these therapies have not been evaluated scientifically; therefore we reviewed the medical records of our patients with Crohn's disease on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)(TM). Seven children with Crohn's on the SCD(TM) and on no immunosuppressive medications were retrospectively evaluated. Duration of the dietary therapy ranged from five months to thirty months, with an average of 14.6 +/- 10.8 months. Although the exact time of symptom resolution could not be determined through chart review, all symptoms were notably resolved at a routine clinic visit three months after initiating the diet. Each patient's laboratory indices, including serum albumin, C - reactive protein, hematocrit and stool calprotectin, either normalized or significantly improved during follow-up clinic visits. This chart review suggests that the SCD(TM) and other low complex carbohydrate diets may be possible therapeutic options for pediatric Crohn's disease. Further prospective studies are required to fully assess the safety and efficacy of the SCD(TM), or any other low complex specific carbohydrate diets in pediatric patients with Crohn's disease.
(C) 2013 by European Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition and North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology,

Iquitos

I am one using the SCD and it has made a big difference. I never had symptoms of Crohn's, IBS or any other gut problems, but eliminating grains has helped me in every mecfs symptom area.

The book itself (The Specific Carbohydrate Diet) explains the chemistry of digestion and the why of food intolerances, an education in itself. I highly recommend it.

aimossy

I find this really interesting, thanks for the post, fodmaps not helping me enough.I will check out the SCD.

aimossy

I could manage to do the SCD diet.
I would love to hear peoples experiences/improvements being on it?:)

Waverunner

"Seven children with Crohn's on the SCD(TM) and on no immunosuppressive medications were retrospectively evaluated."

What does this mean? Were these Crohn's patients all in remission before they started the diet? I can't imagine, that these children were suffering from active Crohn's but weren't treated and then started the diet.

aimossy

exactly waverunner!!!
but still interesting.
there was a study released a few days ago that said they have found an enzyme that is missing in chrons which is also interesting but I didn't find a copy of the actual study write up.
some studies are just so badly articulated and leave so many questions about the actual studies or research that
has been done.
sometimes I feel like if they are not going to do it properly why are they bothering.
precious research money gets wasted on crappy studies.
sorry my articulation is lazy
its my brain fatigue!

Waverunner

maybe I should just be grateful studies are happening eh!!

I wonder the same thing. So much money gets wasted in the medical field, I just can't believe it. The problem is, that no scientist wants to be responsible for the development of drugs. Maybe because this would put their theories to the ultimate test. We have thousands of interesting study findings but nearly none are transformed into treatments. That's why I focus on gene therapy so much. Sooner or later we will be able to do it in China or other countries. Find the faulty genes and replace them. No dependency on our scientists or our healthcare system.

Glynis Steele

"Seven children with Crohn's on the SCD(TM) and on no immunosuppressive medications were retrospectively evaluated."

What does this mean? Were these Crohn's patients all in remission before they started the diet? I can't imagine, that these children were suffering from active Crohn's but weren't treated and then started the diet.

Hi Waverunner,

I think as far as the results of this study are concerned, the authors would have wanted to state that the improvements seen in these patients could not be attributed to use of immunosuppressive medications. This would have been queried during the peer review, and would have called the validity of the study into question.

I have been looking online for any relevant info regarding this and have found out the following.

Only about 10% of people have prolonged remission with Crohn's. Source below ( at 3.16)

http://guidance.nice.org.uk/DT/12/Consultation/DraftGuidance

So I am assuming that the children were not suffering from a flare, but still had biological markers of disease in their blood and stools, which normalised or had significantly improved at follow up, after the diet had been implemented.

The tests mentioned in the study were:

Blood albumin - Decreased blood albumin levels may occur when your body does not get or absorb enough nutrients

C-reactive protein measures general levels of inflammation in your body.

Low Hematocrit is a sign of anemia.

Stool calprotectin is used to measure bowel inflammation levels.

I hope I get to see the full study when it is printed, as the JPGN sometimes have a pay-wall.