• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylfolate dosage?

Bdeep86

Was wonder what dose of methylfolate do people generally settle on? For either Rich or Freddd? I have a lot of Bh4 issues as well so i'm wondering if I need higher doses.

Star-Anise

Bdeep86
Yep, I have been using the 1500mcg daily of methylB12 that I split into 3 doses - no other forms of B12 right now. I have been slowly tapering this dose up over past 3 mos, along with my methylfolate which I am at 250mcg per day right now.
I have noticed vast improvements in my energy, stamina, and cognition over past 3 months from introducing methylfolate & methylB12. As I read might be the case though I was unable to increase my doses dramatically until I got my mercury filling removed, which appeared to be leaking (yuck). I am now facing the challenge of chelation in my future...

helen1

I'm on 700 mcg slowly ramped up from 100 mcg. I might be seeing an improvement, not sure.

Critterina

I see people on these forums who max out at a few hundred micrograms, others who take 10-30 milligrams. It really depends on how you respond.

I am trying to substitute some folinic acid for the MTHF, since I don't have the MTHFR C677T, and since MTHF is so expensive. I take 5 mg of MTHF and one or two 800 mcg of folinic. I'm also taking TMG because of BHMT 08 mutation, so I figure I've got enough methyl groups hanging around to methylate the folinic acid. I have always had perfect skin even as a teenager and now I'm post menopausal, but my face and scalp broke out for several months when I was on 1 mg of MTHF. It's better but not great now, which is why I'm trying two of the folinic this week.