• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New From Amy Yasko - Multivitamin and Book

caledonia

I happened onto Amy Yasko's Facebook page and found out she has two new items that may be of interest to people here:

She has a new multivitamin called the All In One which is designed to be tolerated by the majority of methylation SNP types that she runs into. The bold emphasis is mine. The only bone I have to pick with it is a still has a tiny bit of folic acid in it, but at least it has methylfolate, unlike her last formulation.

I have been working on this new custom general vitamin formulation for several years. The ingredients in this general vitamin take into account the imbalances I have seen on thousands of tests for over a decade. I truly believe this vitamin will help to lay the nutritional groundwork for essentially everyone on this program. For some, all that may be needed is this general vitamin. For others the general vitamin may be a part of a larger supplement plan. Finally, for those who have reached step 3 of a long marathon to health, the All in One general vitamin may help to limit a number of individual supplements to streamline a long term nutritional plan that does not compromise progress made on this marathon to health.

The All in One general vitamin has VERY LOW dose supports for the methylation cycle. This is not enough to trigger detox, but enough to be sure that there is some VERY LOW level support for both the long route and the short cut. This helps to ensure that the cycle can function to some degree at a very low level. I truly believe that this cycle is critical for health and wellbeing. So even tiny amounts of the required supplements to be sure that the ‘tank is not empty’ of critical nutrients is paramount to health. All in One contains these nutrients in doses that in my experience support the system without causing detox.

For minimal support of all methylation cycle intermediates I have included low dose nucleotides, a TINY bit of SAMe (1/20th of a standard dose), DHA, soy free PS, 1/10th dose of 5 methyl THF and a tiny bit of folinic along with very low dose hydroxyl and adenosyl B12 plus intrinsic factor and a lower amount of methionine than in the previous general vitamin. Again, based on extensive testing these doses help to support the system without triggering detox problems.

All in One also has VERY LOW dose lithium as this is a mineral that appears to be critical for health. The level of lithium in All in One is not sufficient to support those who have very low lithium levels on a HMT (hair metals test) but it is enough to be sure that you at least have some, low level support of this very critical mineral.

Riboflavin is in the form of a phosphate as so many have energy issues and show a lack of phosphate on mineral tests. All in One also includes low dose vanadium and chromium as those minerals that are important for blood sugar balance seem to be chronically low in so many individuals. The form of molybdenum and manganese are as citrates, which is my preferred form for these minerals rather than as amino acid chelates. It also includes low dose strontium as high level strontium excretion seems to be an issue particularly when lead and cadmium is being excreted. The level of zinc has been increased while the level of methyl donors such as curcumin have been decreased along with a decrease in taurine levels, a decrease in milk thistle and a decrease in garlic so that this All in One general vitamin can be better tolerated by all.

As with the prior general vitamin the All in One has no iron, as iron drives bacterial virulence. It also has no copper as copper can compete with zinc and throw off the zinc/copper ratio. It does include carnitine, selenium, boron, inositiol, potassium, NAC, broccoli extract, citrus bioflavonoids, vitamin E,B vitamins. Vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin C, and pine bark to help with glutamate.

All in One comes in oxylock capsules to protect the oxygen sensitive ingredients. In addition, due to the dosing in four capsules it gives the added ability to decrease the amount of ingredients with exquisite sensitivity by starting with only a single capsule and gradually increasing the dose to four per day.

While it has taken several years to get to this point, I am thrilled with this very unique and special general vitamin formula that takes into account years of test results for its formulation.

With love and hope, Dr.Amy

The other thing is she has written a new book which will be out this fall. The book is called The Roadmap To Health. It seems to be written for a more general audience of adults with chronic illness, not just children with autism.

Here is an excerpt: http://www.scribd.com/doc/157285314/Roadmap-to-Health-Excerpt

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I got a few to try. I made the mistake of taking it too fast so I got a headache but that was my fault. But I know some people who are really sensitive and have been able to build up to the maximum.

One thing I noticed, and so did my friend is that it made us really tired. I could barely keep my eyes open for about an hour. I asked Dr. Yasko on her FB page about it and she was surprised. She has more info on her FB Page.

https://www.facebook.com/DrAmyYasko

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Actually several kinds of folate - Folate (as Folic Acid, Calcium Folinate, and Methyltretrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt as Quadrefolate™) 26.4mcg. That's spread over 4 pills. So, pretty tiny.
I missed seeing the Folic Acid the first time around....sorry. Carry ono_O

Old Bones

Why would she put folic acid in when thats what we are not supposed to take?

Can someone please explain why "we" are not supposed to take folic acid, and which patients fall into the category of "we". My rheumatologist has prescribed 5 mg of folic acid, six days per week, to counteract the side effects of weekly chemo (Methotrexate) for rheumatoid arthritis. Although probably necessary, I have often wondered what problems the folic acid might be causing, or contributing to.

helen1

Thanks @Darcel, I had wondered that myself and her explanation is one I hadn't heard before. Found this article that supports what she says:

http://metabolichealing.com/glutama...ain-the-nervous-system-nutritional-solutions/

...in particular:

Folates are comprised of numerous glutamic acids conjugates. The higher the dose of folates, the greater the propensity towards an increase in the pool of free glutamate. Hence, the "excitatory" and neurological types of adverse effects of folate in certain individuals.

helen1

@Old Bones The reason for avoiding folic acid is that it requires enzymatic conversions into a useable form in the body. Methylfolate is the preferred form because it gets absorbed into cells without needing converting. Some of us don't have enough of those enzymes to make that conversion.

On top of that is that if you can't convert folic acid, it blocks the folate receptors, so if you ingest folate, it can't get through either.

Can someone please explain why "we" are not supposed to take folic acid, and which patients fall into the category of "we". My rheumatologist has prescribed 5 mg of folic acid, six days per week, to counteract the side effects of weekly chemo (Methotrexate) for rheumatoid arthritis. Although probably necessary, I have often wondered what problems the folic acid might be causing, or contributing to.

The "we" that have issues with folic acid are the tribe of people with MTHFR genetic dysfunction... There may be others but I have limited knowledge.

roller

wiggle jiggle
im wondering how relevant that mthfr gene is at all and would be interested what the b9-values of those mthfr-compromised people were in the blood test, before they started supplementing.
how much below optimum?