• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Would appreciate some advice regarding SNPs and supplementation

hi all,

First came to this forum due to energy issues, brain fog, that started about a year ago. My last real investigation was the metametrix gi effects, which I used to guide some changes but i'm not sure if it helped my overall energy and mood. I need to retest soon 6 months on to see how my yeast levels are.

But anyway, I took the opportunity to complete send a sample to 23andme while I was abroad in the US, and would be interested if any of my results could indicate a reason to try a methyltation protocol. I've tried to read up on the individual SNPs but I expect members of this forum may have a better understanding of how they relate to each other so would appreciate any pointers. i'll list all the mutations pointed out from genetic genie, any not listed I am -/- for.

COMT V158 +/+
COMT H62H +/+

VDR BSM +/+

MTHFR 03P39P +/-
MTHFR A1298C +/+

MTRR A66G +/+
MTRR A664A +/-

CBS A360A +/-

Valentijn

COMT V158 +/+
COMT H62H +/+

VDR BSM +/+

MTHFR 03P39P +/-
MTHFR A1298C +/+

MTRR A66G +/+
MTRR A664A +/-

CBS A360A +/-
There might be a bit of a methylfolate problem, but probably not - most research has shown that MTHFR A1298C only has an impact when combined with MTHFR C677T.

The bigger issue is probably MTRR A66G, which means your methionine synthase reductase does not work properly, and 3-4 times as much is needed to recycle methionine synthase at a normal rate. B12 should help with that, but due to your COMT and VDR versions, you might do better with hydroxoB12 than methylB12.

Thank you for posting. I have ordered some of the perque b12, which i'll start with one per day and see if I notice any effect? how long would you suggest I hold off trying some methyl folate?

Seems from the heartfixer website, I probably have higher dopamine and NE due to slow breakdown? and i may benefit by supporting seratonin production with l trytpophan containing foods.

Its strange because dopamine I thought of as the motivation NT but that is something I feel I lack. hopefully some b12 will give an energy boost.

Valentijn

Thank you for posting. I have ordered some of the perque b12, which i'll start with one per day and see if I notice any effect? how long would you suggest I hold off trying some methyl folate?
Your SNPs don't indicate much of a need for methylfolate, so it's probably safe to hold off a while on that one. At any rate, it's good to be adding just one new treatment at a time when possible, so it's clear where any effect is coming from. Hence if B12 alone doesn't have an impact after a week or so, then it might be worthwhile to try adding in the folate to see if that helps.