• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with raising funds for Prof. Lipkin's study

How much are you willing to give to a fund set up to help Prof Ian Lipkin with his pathogen study?

• Total voters

vli

hi all, I have no experience AT ALL in advocacy or fundraising and am only posting this because of how strongly I feel we should try to help Dr Lipkin, after hearing his imploring three times in this short call for patients to pressure our govt for funding. Prof Lipkin stated clearly that he is keen to focus on the area of microbiome and study fecal samples but that it is laborious and expensive, and that he only has 10% of the money needed. I would be so grateful if anyone who knows a thing or two about fundraising and is interested in this could help me find out (a), how we can find out how much Prof Lipkin needs--is it simply a matter of emailing and asking him?, and (b), how one goes about setting up such a fund at all--what kinds of numbers can we expect? As I said I have absolutely no experience of this. I thought a PR poll would be a good starting point. vli

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
good idea, maybe we can keep this thread for fundraising ideas.
can PR have a trust fund or something like that, that can be specifically for lipkins research.
is there a way we can donate online to this type of fund??

aimossy

yes because donating online is easy. kinda need a section that lists promising programmes of research. what they are doing and how to donate to them. sorry my language is so short cut now.

heapsreal

Can phoenix rising have a trust fund for holding money raised by donations given by all us?? What about a $10000 goal and see how many of these we can get. Im sure it wouldn't be hard to get 10k from all the members here. We just need something with a click to donate button. Good to have a tally board so we can see where we are at??

Any more opinions or someone to help put our ideas into action here??

Cheers

Dolphin

I'd be willing to donate. But would like to know what would happen if the full amount needed wasn't met.

heapsreal

I wonder if he can use to to partially do studies. Break them down into importance etc and pic them off one by one.
If not then money could go to open medicine or peterson with a good portion to phoenix rising? ?
Maybe a list from him and there costs and away we going picking them off one by one.

Cheers

Antares in NYC

Just a quick suggestion: do you think Dr. Lipkin could apply for this NIH grant?:

Gut-Microbiome-Brain Interactions and Mental Health (R21/R33)
This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) encourages research grant applications from institutions/organizations to investigate mechanisms by which the gut microbiome modulates the development and function of brain circuits that subserve behavioral functions of direct relevance to the mission of the NIMH. Because initial colonization of the gut by microbiota occurs early in life and may influence the subsequent development and modifiability of the central nervous system, developmental studies are of particular interest. Applicants may propose to use wild-type, gnotobiotic, or specific pathogen-free model organisms and/or human cohorts. With this FOA, the NIMH encourages investigator teams to initiate hypothesis-driven research in this cross-cutting research area and to identify promising mechanistic leads for future basic and translational research that will advance the mission of the NIMH.
Application due date: October 10, 2013,

It's worth looking into.

readyforlife

If I donate money it would only be for Dr. Lipkin for microbiome work. We need to stay focused on one thing at a time. I feel Dr. Lipkin is the man to make the BIG discovery.

Antares in NYC

Here's another interesting thing to consider:

Prof. John Cryan, from the University College Cork in Ireland, just received a whooping 27 million Euro grant to study the microbiome's gut-brain connection. He did previous studies that proved how altering the microbiota of mice would radically alter their levels of stress. http://publish.ucc.ie/researchprofiles/C003/jcryan

I wonder if Dr. Lipkin would considering partnering or collaborating with Dr. Cryan on the ME/CFS link with the microbiome.

Here's an interview with Prof. John Cryan about his research and other recent discoveries about the microbiome:

bel canto

The funds donated by members could be given to Lipkin regardless of whether we meet a specified $ amount. The benefit is that he would get an amount that he could attribute directly to a patient led group rather than just a lot of small donations from individuals. I think this is a great idea!

Funds that are contributed can be designated for a specific purpose - such as a
microbiome project.

Dolphin

Just a quick suggestion: do you think Dr. Lipkin could apply for this NIH grant?:

Gut-Microbiome-Brain Interactions and Mental Health (R21/R33)
This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) encourages research grant applications from institutions/organizations to investigate mechanisms by which the gut microbiome modulates the development and function of brain circuits that subserve behavioral functions of direct relevance to the mission of the NIMH. Because initial colonization of the gut by microbiota occurs early in life and may influence the subsequent development and modifiability of the central nervous system, developmental studies are of particular interest. Applicants may propose to use wild-type, gnotobiotic, or specific pathogen-free model organisms and/or human cohorts. With this FOA, the NIMH encourages investigator teams to initiate hypothesis-driven research in this cross-cutting research area and to identify promising mechanistic leads for future basic and translational research that will advance the mission of the NIMH.
Application due date: October 10, 2013,

It's worth looking into.

I'd like to think Dr. Mady Hornig, his collaborator (a psychiatrist), would know about something like this.

Sparrowhawk

Does Kickstarter do nonprofit campaigns or just forprofit? Something like that might work and then you have another platform worry about the financial transactions, etc.

Dolphin

Does Kickstarter do nonprofit campaigns or just forprofit? Something like that might work and then you have another platform worry about the financial transactions, etc.

I'm looking at the site but I don't think it fits (but not 100% sure).

If it could be done through a registered non-profit like the CFI, there would be lots of online sites I would imagine one could donate through (I'm more familiar with the UK where there are sites like http://www.justgiving.com and recall seeing something similar in the US).

Dolphin

Right, like http://www1.networkforgood.org/ but I think they only do US nonprofits.

Yes, but the Chronic Fatigue Initiative is a US non-profit:
http://cfinitiative.org/about-the-initiative/
Chronic Fatigue Initiative is a science-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization fostering and supporting collaboration among the world’s leading medical research, treatment and public health organizations in understanding the causes, therapies and epidemiology of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).