• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sept 10: CDC 'conference call' including Unger and Lipkin

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I hear your concerns, but once Conie explains it it all makes sense for CFS I wish the people who has done the one day test with her remember more than me and explain here so people can feel at more ease. Results Do show and Very fast.

The test was so low key (less effort than when I go up a flight of stairs) that if you worry, just exercise a bit the day before so you get the worse case for yourself!!!

I wish Ms. Sol's patients could remember more too. I've not heard of an exercise challenge that wasn't a challenge.

SOC

I wish Ms. Sol's patients could remember more too. I've not heard of an exercise challenge that wasn't a challenge.

What do you want to know? Are you assuming that it's necessary to exhaust muscles to identify the AT?

I was under the impression that one day testing is sufficient to find your aerobic threshold, but the PEM results specific to ME (and differentiated from deconditioning) are shown on Day 2. Hence while a one-off exercise might help in determining your limits for pacing and such, a two-day exercise was needed to differentiate between deconditioning for research, diagnostics, and/or proving disability.

Firestormm

Morning,

Thanks ever so much for all the notes and comments.

Am transcribing Lipkin now (03.00 in the morning!). Insomnia has it uses after all - who would have thought?

We should get an article out as soon as humanely possible :)

No doubt others will be posting on their blogs etc. I'd be interested to read any if y'all come across them and can re-post.

Muchas gracias amigos :cool:

Tom Kindlon

Just to point out as I don't think anyone has said it:

Dr Lipkin, as well as encouraging people to lobby for more funding in US, also at one point encouraged people to donate (financially) to research if they were able.

The numbers affected by ME/CFS worldwide are really quite big. Different people and families have different potentials in terms of how much they can donate or raise through other means. But the less that donating(or fundraising) is talked about, it can mean that even quite wealthy families don't donate. So I think it is useful to remind ourselves that lobbying isn't the only way to raise money for research. Sasha has explored ways to raise money in articles like this one: http://phoenixrising.me/archives/18475

Otis

Señor Mumbler
What do you want to know? Are you assuming that it's necessary to exhaust muscles to identify the AT?

No, the underlying concern is that I'm not satisfied that measuring AT is a sufficient study of effects of exercise in M.E.

Dr. Klimas and Ms. Sol are trying to use AT in an attempt to come up with an exercise protocol using the measured AT. That's a decidedly different goal and not what we're talking about here.

ETA: Valentijn covered some of the same ground. I was away mid-edit.

SOC

No, the underlying concern is that I'm not satisfied that measuring AT is a sufficient study of effects of exercise in M.E.

Dr. Klimas and Ms. Sol are trying to use AT in an attempt to come up with an exercise protocol using the measured AT. That's a decidedly different goal and not what we're talking about here.

ETA: Valentijn covered some of the same ground. I was away mid-edit.

I agree with you entirely. Measuring AT is not at all sufficient to study the effects of exercise in ME. It does show some abnormalities, but certainly not everything that could be discovered from a 2-day test.

When you said
I wish Ms. Sol's patients could remember more too.
I thought you had questions about Connie's testing protocol.

Otis

Señor Mumbler

Dr Lipkin, as well as encouraging people to lobby for more funding in US, also at one point encouraged people to donate (financially) to research if they were able.

The numbers affected by ME/CFS worldwide are really quite big. Different people and families have different potentials in terms of how much they can donate or raise through other means. But the less that donating(or fundraising) is talked about, it can mean that even quite wealthy families don't donate. So I think it is useful to remind ourselves that lobbying isn't the only way to raise money for research. Sasha has explored ways to raise money in articles like this one: http://phoenixrising.me/archives/18475

Well said Tom! The issue should be the brought every chance we get. We're so used to no money as a reality that we don't talk about it enough.

Kati

Patient in training
I don't know the technical details, but I was told our "lower function" is of a completely different type from that of people who are just deconditioned.
This still leaves room for them CDC and insurance companies to say we are deconditioned. Especially if they do not do blood tests afterwards .

waiting

I was under the impression that one day testing is sufficient to find your aerobic threshold, but the PEM results specific to ME (and differentiated from deconditioning) are shown on Day 2. Hence while a one-off exercise might help in determining your limits for pacing and such, a two-day exercise was needed to differentiate between deconditioning for research, diagnostics, and/or proving disability.

Day 2 results can show a drop in AT (anaerobic threshold) from AT measured on Day 1 so even if you *only* want to know your AT (for pacing) you still need to do Day 2.

Hope123

Thanks for the notes everyone! Pre-occupied by other stuff at the moment and missed this talk. Some quick comments.

1) Disappointing that they are still only doing a one-day test. I have a good inside source saying that even if they did the 2-day test on only a percentage of people at only a few of the sites, the results would still be worthwhile to pursue. I say we continue to keep asking them to consider the 2-day test.

No matter how low the AT is for CFS patients on a 1-day test, this is also seen with other ilnesses and severe deconditioning. The unique part is for many CFS patients, in the 2-day test, the value declines further. Patients with deconditioning or other illnesses -- the AT increases or stays about the same on the 2nd day.

2) I'm glad they're studying homebound groups. This is in large part due to patient advocacy pressure and stories and resulted in CFSAC recommending specifically studying the epidemiology of the severely ill in Oct. 2012. The other CFSAC recommendation that no one has acted on though is studying and monitoring any possible clusters of CFS.

3) It would be good to see if the money from DHHS for IOM can be re-allocated to NIH but not sure how to do this.

4) I have been visiting with various local Congressional offices in my area. $6 million was viewed by the staff in those offices as "decimal dust" in one staff's words -- e.g. it's practically NOTHING in the world of US gov't spending. We do need to work in a well-coordinated way to get funding for CFS research.

5) Some of the findings are somewhat contradictory to what was found earlier. Several studies, including a WPI one looking at cytokine abnormalities, found ELEVATED rather than depressed IL-8.

vli

sorry if this seems a dumb question. How many ppl are willing to donate say US$10 to a fund? I'd be happy to give a lot more than that but if we set something up where everyone gave $10 how much could we conceivably raise (specifically for Prof Lipkin's study)?

edit: I've posted a poll. I hope people respond. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...h-raising-funds-for-prof-lipkins-study.25213/

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
sorry if this seems a dumb question. How many ppl are willing to donate say US$10 to a fund? I'd be happy to give a lot more than that but if we set something up where everyone gave $10 how much could we conceivably raise (specifically for Prof Lipkin's study)? Is this something I should ask/frame as a poll in the poll section.

Im up for it if its going to give us some answers

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
sorry if this seems a dumb question. How many ppl are willing to donate say US$10 to a fund? I'd be happy to give a lot more than that but if we set something up where everyone gave $10 how much could we conceivably raise (specifically for Prof Lipkin's study)? Is this something I should ask/frame as a poll in the poll section.

But what fund ?
It would be easier to raise money if we had a tax exempt organization ( like us -- Phoenix Rising ) that had had a research fund or some mechanism for donations to be earmarked for specific things. This time Lipkin. But perhaps in the future something else will come up and funds need to be raised fast and It's so much easier to ask friends and family to donate if it's for a tax exempt charity ( gives it more credibility and a benefit for them )
Is such a mechanism already set up w/i PR ? If not, can it be ? Should it be ?

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

yes, that's a good point.