• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK: Why is my nose running in late Aug/early Sept? Pollen? What?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I thought that cutting out gluten a few months ago had rid me instantly and forever of not being able to lie on my side at night because my nose clogged up with sinusitis but my nose is now runny enough again that for the last few weeks, I can't lie on my side at night and breathe!

Is it some sort of hay fever/tree thing/harvest thing? What's going on in the UK now that could cause rhinitis?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Sasha we've had a couple of colder evenings and leaves have started falling - a few weeks ago here it was 4oC in the morning - not mega but enough to cause me to have a runny nose too - they create a mould and dust so its not like pollen - just something else our bodies don't like I think.
I was okay before that whilst the lovely hot weather was here.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sasha we've had a couple of colder evenings and leaves have started falling - a few weeks ago here it was 4oC in the morning - not mega but enough to cause me to have a runny nose too - they create a mould and dust so its not like pollen - just something else our bodies don't like I think.
I was okay before that whilst the lovely hot weather was here.

Sorry to hear you've also got nose problems!

Our leaves are all on the trees here and my problem has been going on for a few weeks. I don't think my thing can be that.

SOC

I thought that cutting out gluten a few months ago had rid me instantly and forever of not being able to lie on my side at night because my nose clogged up with sinusitis but my nose is now runny enough again that for the last few weeks, I can't lie on my side at night and breathe!

Is it some sort of hay fever/tree thing/harvest thing? What's going on in the UK now that could cause rhinitis?

Likely it's a grass pollen allergy aka hay fever. It's usually worst during harvest season. Also, as someone else said, harvest season puts mold in the air -- corn smut is a big one around here. People with ragweed allergies are having a bad time here at the moment. Don't know if you have ragweed there, though.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Likely it's a grass pollen allergy aka hay fever. It's usually worst during harvest season. Also, as someone else said, harvest season puts mold in the air -- corn smut is a big one around here. People with ragweed allergies are having a bad time here at the moment. Don't know if you have ragweed there, though.

According to the Met Office (govt meteorological office) chart, all the pollen is either done with or started too early to be my culprit.

Maybe it's harvest - our harvest season is about to finish so it will be interesting to see if my nose improves.

Corn smut! :aghhh: Never heard of it but it sounds bad!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
My sister said on the phone that she was walking through pine woods today and her husband thought they were on fire because of what he thought was smoke - but it was some kind of dust or something coming off the trees. I wonder what the heck that was.

rosie26

cold air is what starts my sinuses playing up more severely Sasha. Reason why I dread winter. You could be reacting to cooler weather changes. ?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
cold air is what starts my sinuses playing up more severely Sasha. Reason why I dread winter. You could be reacting to cooler weather changes. ?

Don't think so - have had this every day since early August and it's been very hot.

I cut quinoa and buckwheat out yesterday (I'd read they can be a problem if you're gluten-sensitive even though they have been thought to be safe) and things improved. I'll try it again today. It will be a bummer if it's that - I love them! :cry:

maryb

iherb code TAK122

We have a lot of ragwort around here - I cut it down on our place but you see it on the m/way and lane edges - masses of it. I've always cut it down but also a lot of horses close by so I do it for their grazing too.