• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doing the dishes

Plum

Hi

Does anyone have suggestions for how to make this chore easier?

I cook everything myself and try to minimise any dishes I do use. We have a dishwasher but loading/unloading is tiring. I try and do quick things by hand and then load the dishwasher with bigger things.

It just seems like a never ending pile of dishes - any ideas?!

SilverbladeTE

1) Limit yourself to ONLY 4 knives, forks, soup spoon, dinner and soup plates
just wash 'em up each day, less to do, less stress as the amount, feelings of "Oh no not that much!" when facing a big pile is bad for us, as pathetic as that sounds ot those not that bad it really is an issue.

2) Buy and use plastic cutlery and paper plates, this saves MUCH effort
be careful, lot of plastic cutlery is crap and even dangerous! I found the best ones are those made form CLEAR plastic

I do understand yer problem :( most of my dishes have sat unwashed for several months (well I soaked 'em in bleach at start to clean it off but they've sat their undone for nearly 4 months)
gawd damn humiliating, self reinforcement sort of, gets you so down, thought of doing 'em makes ya worse etc etc
pathetic, but...that's life with this shit :(
hate it I'm kind of person who doesn't mind things getting in a mess, but hates them STAYING a mess, ya know?
So would always have a good "clean up" every few days, normally

Once upon a time, my mum decided she wanted concrete slabs put down in garden, as front was a swamp (builders 50 years ago had dumped clay and rubble there when making the houses, so it trapped water,and there's several underground springs/burns nearby would take major work to dig that out so slabbing it over was easier)
So she got concrete slabs delivered, but she out did herself, thinking to get good cheap slabs, she got them from a council lorry base for the cleansing works (ie, rubbish vans) that was shutting down
slabs were 2'x3' 2 inch thick high density (as they were meant for heavy vehicles to drive over in the yard)...think they weight about 180lbs each? had to carry 56 of 'em round our backyard...FEK!!! :p
felt like I was in one of them "Land of the Pharaohs" type things, whips cracking slaves endlessly toiling to lift massive chunks of rock up the pyramid, hehe

now dishes is too much, blech

vamah

I agree about using paper plates, cups, as much disposable stuff as possible. This is what I did when I had a newborn to take care of and it makes a big difference. People will sniff that it is not a "green " thing to do, but you are also not using all the hot water and detergent needed to wash reusable stuff. I would also use aluminum pans or cover baking pans with foil whenever possible to cut down on things to wash. I hear you about unloading the dishwasher. That, for some reason, is one of my most hated tasks.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have taken to sitting on a stool when I wash my dishes. I wait until I'm feeling my best, usually at night and then just wash and put in the drainer. It's just me so I just let them sit in the drainer unless my OCD gets the best of me and I have to put them away.

I'm opposed to using some much disposable products because of the cost and the damage to the environment. I have switched to using some lightweight melamine plates.

I also like having more silverware. What if it's a day when I just can't wash anything? I'd rather spend an extra minute washing a few more forks when I am feeling better.

Now if someone can figure out how to fold fitted sheets I'll be good. LOL

Minks

SOC

Unloading the dishwasher was a big problem for me for a long time. Part of it was the standing and reaching part. I took to unloading the dishwasher to the counter first. Then later I'd move it from the counter to the cabinet. It was a matter of breaking the chore down into small parts with rests between. Sitting during the unloading to the counter part helped, too.

FWIW, the dishes and dishwasher work got LOADS easier once I dealt with my OI issues -- I have low blood volume and associated POTS.

rosie26

I gave up long ago on folding fitted sheets lol crazy trying to fold those things. They always look a mess in the linen cupboard . I try to hide them under a nice folded sheet, as I like looking at a nicely folded linen cupboard. :D Not that I am always tidy everywhere else in the house though. I seem to always get myself in a mess somewhere.

What to do about dishes, they are never ending. I do the dishes in stages, wash and then let sit to drain for an hour or two. Its one of the priority things for me to do as I like a clean bench. It helps me to think better without all the clutter looking at me. x

SOC

I gave up long ago on folding fitted sheets lol crazy trying to fold those things. They always look a mess in the linen cupboard . I try to hide them under a nice folded sheet, as I like looking at a nicely folded linen cupboard. :D Not that I am always tidy everywhere else in the house though. I seem to always get myself in a mess somewhere.

Now that I can actually attempt folding sheets (it was too much effort for a long time), I fold them decently (not beautifully) then slip them into a pillow case. Neat in the linen closet, easy to get out and carry, and all the matching parts are in one place.

That, or I don't fold at all. Take them off, wash them, put them back on. No folding necessary.

rosie26

That's a good idea SOC
Could put the fitted sheet in pillow case along with the extra pillowcase and sit the top sheet on top. :D
Like these kind of tips. Does require effort to put in and get out of pillowcase, but as in walking slow, get slowly out of pillowcase without tugging and pulling too hard, to save energy. ! x

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I gave up last week, rolled them in a ball and shoved them in the back of my closet!

I find anything where I use my arms too much is exhausting. Like using the dishwasher.

If I keep my elbows close to my body it seems to help when I fold the rest of my laundry.

Minks

Plum

Ha ha ha! I have ONE fitted sheet! It comes off the bed and it goes on again via the washing machine! Is it just me but they never seem to quite fit - like 1 more cm of fabric would've made them perfect.

I am thinking a mix of paper plates, reducing dishes I use, lining oven dishes with foil/paper and then 1 small dishwasher load may help. It honestly is never ending - and then the dog uses 1 bowl! It's always 1 bowl too many! Poor little man!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Ha ha ha! I have ONE fitted sheet! It comes off the bed and it goes on again via the washing machine! Is it just me but they never seem to quite fit - like 1 more cm of fabric would've made them perfect.

I am thinking a mix of paper plates, reducing dishes I use, lining oven dishes with foil/paper and then 1 small dishwasher load may help. It honestly is never ending - and then the dog uses 1 bowl! It's always 1 bowl too many! Poor little man!

The only reason I don't do that Plum is because I'm usually too tired after doing my laundry.

You are so right about sheets being a hair too small. Or the opposite is having sheets withe deep pockets that end up pulling out form the bottom and you have a puddle of sheet in the middle of the bed! That is miserable to sleep on.

I think the answer is a Manslave to help! And some eunuchs to fan me with palm leaves and feed me stuffed grape leaves!

SOC

I gave up last week, rolled them in a ball and shoved them in the back of my closet!

I find anything where I use my arms too much is exhausting. Like using the dishwasher.

If I keep my elbows close to my body it seems to help when I fold the rest of my laundry.

Minks

That sure sounds familiar! Anything with arm involvement -- dishwasher chores, hanging laundry, making beds, folding sheets, dusting, showering -- was exhausting. For me, that changed almost overnight with treatment for low blood volume.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
That sure sounds familiar! Anything with arm involvement -- dishwasher chores, hanging laundry, making beds, folding sheets, dusting, showering -- was exhausting. For me, that changed almost overnight with treatment for low blood volume.

Yes SOC, exactly. How do you test for low blood volume?

SOC

Yes SOC, exactly. How do you test for low blood volume?

I've heard there's a test, but I think it's expensive. Our doctors diagnosed by symptoms and whether treatments for low blood volume work. Since it's easy and cheap to trial treatments, I think the docs do that first. Some doctors want to do a tilt table test.

This is from the ME/CFS Primer for Clinical Practitioners:

Dietary management of OI is intended to increase blood volume. Extra salt or mixed electrolytes in the diet (salty foods, added table salt, salt tablets) along with increased oral fluid intake may help to overcome hypotension and postural tachycar-dia. This recommendation is equivalent to a pinch of plain salt every 2-3 hours throughout the day and a salty snack at bedtime. Salt and fluids should also be increased before and after exercise.

Fludrocortisone, 0.1-0.2 mg/day, can improve symptoms attributable to hypotension and hypovolemia in some patients, but the effect may not be long lasting. In patients taking fludrocorti-sone, blood pressure and electrolytes should be monitored regularly with potassium supplementation if necessary. The risk of potassium depletion from the use of fludrocortisone can be reduced by eating a banana or kiwifruit daily. Low dose beta-blockers, such as atenolol (25-50 mg) or propranolol (10-20 mg), are useful in controlling tachycardia or palpitations associated with postural hypoten-sion.

My treatment plan is 3L of electrolyte drink, 0.25 mg Florinef and 120 mg of verapamil (for tachycardia). I also salt my food pretty heavily. That's pretty extreme, though.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I drink a lot of fluids including coconut water and banana at night. And I just did an at home OI test and I was fine.

Who knows.

NilaJones

Going back to dishes, when I was sicker I put my used dishes in the fridge (to hide them from flies and germs) and then used them again for the next meal.

I usually kept one dish for sweet and one for savory, and washed them, I dunno, once a week?

SOC

I drink a lot of fluids including coconut water and banana at night. And I just did an at home OI test and I was fine.

Who knows.

With low blood volume, it may take time for symptoms to show up. Did you do the 30 minute at home test where you take BP and HR every 4 mins? I have pretty severe low blood volume, but my problems don't show up on the shorter test.

If you haven't already seen this, you might want to check out this article here at PR. It includes a simple home test with some suggestions about what type of OI you might have given the results. If you do try the 30 minute standing test, make sure there's someone with you just in case you collapse. I didn't come close to collapsing, but I felt pretty rotten. Oh, and it's important to stand absolutely still, not even wiggling your toes or tightening leg muscles.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
With love blood volume, it may take time for symptoms to show up. Did you do the 30 minute at home test where you take BP and HR every 4 mins? I have pretty severe low blood volume, but my problems don't show up on the shorter test.

I didn't know that - I don't want to take this thread off-topic but can you point me at some info about that, SOC? I'm sure I have OI but with delayed symptoms. I've been laughed out of two cardiologists' offices because I don't collapse to the floor within seconds of standing up. But on a 30-min poor man's tilt test, my HR goes up a beat a minute (it would still probably be going up if I was still standing :aghhh:). I can't sit with my feet up for more than 45 mins or so before I have to lie down and I only get an hour a day sitting or standing or walking normally, at most.

Maybe we should start a new thread or you could PM me?