• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VSL#3 causing Diarrhea - Why?

end

Hi folks

Have used one packet a day and by the 3rd day, watery bowel movements :-/

Have tryed stopping and restarting at 1/4 of a packet and the same sort of events begin to transpire!

I have a similar effect to Lactose.

I have a similar effect to Symbiotics Colostrum with Proline Rich Polypeptides.

However, I have taken countless(see below)Probiotics and have not had this happen.

Does anyone else have this same sort of effect with VSL#3 ???

end

Inner Health Plus

Inner Health's Eczema Relief

HealthForce Nutritionals Friendly Force

Blackmores Digestive Bio Balance

GastroHealth 4(both of there very similar product's)

FiveLac

Mutaflor(it colonised massively)

Homeostatic Soil Organisms

And a few I've forgotten about :)

I tryed adding more detail's(like the strain's)but it wouldn't save the post in between...

Daffodil

the same thing is happening to me but I am not 100% sure its from the VSL because I am also on some antibiotics. I just have a feeling its the VSL-3.

I have read about this happening on other forums, but the person usually just stops taking it. I am wondering if the loose bowels might be a temporary, good sign....like a die-off? I haven't been able to find any information about this.

You might try calling the manufacturer of VSL-3

end

the same thing is happening to me but I am not 100% sure its from the VSL because I am also on some antibiotics. I just have a feeling its the VSL-3.

I have read about this happening on other forums, but the person usually just stops taking it. I am wondering if the loose bowels might be a temporary, good sign....like a die-off? I haven't been able to find any information about this.

You might try calling the manufacturer of VSL-3

Thank you Daffodil I didn't think about contacting the company.

And same I haven't been able to find any information on this effect and VSL#3 any where.

The "die off" theory sort of fits though. Could you relay what other forums you heard of this happing? Will report back....

end

end

Are you using the unflavored and taking it at bedtime?

Sushi

Sushi

Does it make a difference dosing at bed time?

I understand you see Kenny and he seems to use this product often with his patients, has he mentioned anything in regards to "side effects" related to the use of this product?

And I have been using the VSL#3 from the powder sachels also, although taken in the morning.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Sushi

Does it make a difference dosing at bed time?

I understand you see Kenny and he seems to use this product often with his patients, has he mentioned anything in regards to "side effects" related to the use of this product?

And I have been using the VSL#3 from the powder sachels also, although taken in the morning.

He said to take it at night--very specifically. He didn't mention side-effects because I have taken it for a long time and never had any to bring up with him. He tries to match the probiotic he recommends with the patient's gut flora tests. For some it is VSL 3 and other probiotics for others.

Some of the powder sachets are flavored. For anyone getting side-effects it might be good to try the unflavored to see if that works better for you.

Best,
Sushi

end

Tryed to edit with more info from notes but...deleted instead!

The CDD could not relay much over the phone - formal consult required.

Spoke to a REP from JEM Pharmaceuticals www.vsl3.com.au regarding the issue.

He said - The side effects(not just D)are induced due to VSL3 'shifting' GUT ecology, and should only last 1-2 weeks.

I asked - Why has no other probiotic I have used, caused this effect?

He said - Because there is no other probiotic on the market that comes close to VSL3's therapeutic effectiveness(marketing hype? I don't really know).

As to dose timing? He only said - it would not make much, if any difference.

Would be interesting to know why Kenny recommend's a bed time, I'm quite sure there's a good reason why it's so.

I read all your post. VSL#3 made me have off and on symptoms. Some were worse then others. I have taken it a long time, decided to switch over to Natren brand without the lactose. I have taken the Natren off and on for years never a issue, even my Dog get it! As I am lactose sensitive.
Like Kenny said even Colostrum bothers me.

I have now read hundreds of reviews many are experiencing bad side effects from VSL3? Why have no idea.
I am beginning to wonder if VSL has changed or VSL does not help me anymore?

I found another probiotic made years ago, just found it. Clear Labs they use no milk in some I think maybe all of their items. Look it up, I was truly shocked to see how many products they make.

Whay puzzles me is I do not think it is refrigerated? And VSL3 and Natren are.

I am going to try the Clear Labs and see if it helps me. I have IBS from losing my Gallbladder in 2012, only took Natren before that and just when needed ....or when we all took Antibiotics. It is important to take when you have GI issues and IBS , Crohn's, or any stomach or bowel issues.

Hope each of you are still around. Happy I saw your posting I quit VSL for now. Maybe for ever?
Thanks
Sunny

VSL#3 has changed! The company still makes VSL#3 but they use GMO free corn , it is made in Italy! As far as I know the guy making it was fired or let go from the company......not completely sure! Although he is making his own , claiming it is the Original product...not the same name! That makes me somewhat leary, bought a bottle, in the strangest bottleing I have ever seen, says it does not need to refrigerated the first week? That has made me extremely doubtful, it is a le·git·i·mate product period! Differant name completely "Visbiome". Read on this explains it but not completely as far as being a completely a Legitimate product. If you find more information please share. http://tushnet.blogspot.com/2016/06/tmfalse-advertising-interface-same.html