• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Terminated after 20 years

roxie60

Its official, got the letter when returned home from counselors meeting. I am crushed. 15 lousy months from retirement. Why could I not have willed myself one more time to be able to work :cry:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
What does that mean for you?
Is that mean a reduced pension etc?
I think once i have left work it would be very hard to return??
Roxie, i hope things work out for ya soon.

cheers!!!

Hugocfs

It just wasn't possible. Try not to beat yourself up over it. All of us with careers fight tooth and nail to hold on as long as we can. I am sure you were the same. :(

roxie60

It means a reduced pension and no pension now for another 8 years, instead of getting a small pension plus healthcare (I think) in 15 months. Thank you for the well wishes, I know it will take time for me to adjust. Ive been without income now for 6 months.

SOC

Oh Roxie60, I'm so sorry to hear that! This is a very cruel illness. Many of us know where you're coming from -- you hung on as long as you could. Try to be proud of that.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Thats no good at all. How do u survive on no income?
Can the govt give out some type of disability pension or unemployment pension??

I'm sure that every time you went to work it was like running a marathon. We all hold on for as long as we can and most likely do a lot of damage to our health in the process (I know I did). I also think it is common to feel "if only I had made that extra last effort, I could have prevented this from happening". However every time you went to work, I'll bet you WERE putting in that extra effort.

In a nutshell, you have done your absolute best and you need to recognise this...not beat yourself up over it.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and hope that some how you can obtain financial support. :hug:

barbc56

Roxie, don't beat yourself up about this. If you could have made it, you would have. Is there any way you can appeal the decision? Take care.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
How awful. So sorry, Roxie. :(

I agree with Sushi, that getting a good disability attorney might be helpful, but for now I think it's appropriate and necessary to let the tears flow. It is very unfair what they did. Many hugs to you.

PNR2008

Get through the sadness then use the anger to explore your options. Talk to a lawyer(s) even think of the local newspaper or news channel. If at all possible fight this. This is unfair and they should be paying you severance so you can live while getting disability. Good Luck.

taniaaust1

It means a reduced pension and no pension now for another 8 years, instead of getting a small pension plus healthcare (I think) in 15 months. Thank you for the well wishes, I know it will take time for me to adjust. Ive been without income now for 6 months.

:( that's so unfair **hugs** . If there is anything legally you can do, I think you should try to do it. Get advice from more then one lawyer.

taniaaust1

. 15 lousy months from retirement. Why could I not have willed myself one more time to be able to work :cry:

That just doesnt usually work, I know only two well. It may seem like only 15months but in fact if you were trying to work still you would of just ended up worst (likely bedbound) and probably wouldnt have made the 15mths which in ME/CFS working terms when one is pushing oneself far more then one should, it is a very long time. Maybe you could of pulled up some reserves you didnt realise you had, for a few more months but just not for 15. It was well out of your reach.

Look kindly at yourself, you did try hard.

rosie26

I am sorry Roxie, it really is appalling after your having worked for them so long. !
Hope you will be ok xx