• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Faces of Fatigue: Ethical Considerations on the Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Dolphin

Faces of Fatigue: Ethical Considerations on the Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Smaranda Ene
pages 22-26

DOI:10.1080/21507740.2013.796325
Published online: 08 Jul 2013

Further Information

AJOB Neuroscience

Volume 4, Issue 3, 2013

Special Issue: Brain Matters 3 Conference: Values at the Crossroads of Neurology, Psychiatry, and Psychology

DOI:10.1080/21507740.2013.796325Smaranda Enea

pages 22-26

Abstract*

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a condition of undetermined etiology. CFS has been considered by some scholars (Ware and Kleinman

1992) to be a psychosomatic manifestation of sociocultural stress, while others have compared it to multiple sclerosis (Richman 2010) or traumatic brain injury (Bruno 2008).

Although several neurological and neuroimmune disorder mechanisms have been proposed, the treatment of physiologically unaccounted-for fatigue often falls in the realm of psychiatry.

By being placed in the in-between space of biomedicine, the patient's subjective experience of suffering is delegitimized.

The Western medical mind/body dualism approach to disease does not leave room for a holistic explanation of this condition.

Hence current treatment approaches are inefficient at both curing the pathology and legitimizing the validity of the patient's complaint through a nonstigmatizing diagnosis.

This article takes a multifaceted approach in investigating ethical issues related to the CFS illness course.

It considers the implications of theoretical views of chronic fatigue as psychiatric in origin.

The recovery process and the need for person-centered management of the condition are addressed as well.
*I've given each sentence its own paragraph

Dolphin

This is an unusual paper. It may be related to the author's background:

Address correspondence to Smaranda Ene, Case Western Reserve University, Department of Anthropology, Mather Memorial, 11220
Bellflower Road, Cleveland, OH 44106-7125, USA. E-mail: smaranda.ene@case.edu

I haven't read that many anthropologists writing on the subject.

The authors reads some literature - see here:

This article aims to analyze personal narratives of patients with CFS in order to highlight issues related to the current treatment standard for this chronic illness. Since many of these patients have produced autobiographical life histories, a plethora of published recovery stories and illness testimonials exist in press. These are a valuable sample of self-elicited responses, insightful by their reflective nature. Though they do not yield data as reliable as structured interviews or surveys, they are open, deep, and detailed. Interviewer bias is avoided because of their self-guided nature, and the data are longitudinal in scope. Published works were identified by performing an advanced keyword search in WorldCat for “chronic fatigue syndrome” and “myalgic encephalomyelitis,” further refining the results with the “biography” search feature. Out of the 77 results, only firsthand personal accounts were chosen. Ten memoirs and three collections of short stories, totaling more than 100 narratives written by both men and women, were selected (Barton 2008; Bruno 2008; Duff 1993; Griffin 1999; Hatcher 2005; Howard 2003; Jones 2001; Kenny 1994; Kerner 2004; March 1998; McQuown 2005; Rowland 2008; Skelly and Walker 2007). Subsequently, they were subjected to narrative analysis.

They summarise these briefly, including:

Patients approach the recovery process by making decisions as to what works for the individual, rather than pursuing each recommended biomedical treatment. Recovery is described as a holistic process of learning how to live in harmony with oneself through remissions and relapses. Relinquishing attachment to complete recovery and focusing on general wellness and self-improvement instead of an absolute cure are described by participants as essential steps.

(personally, I dislike this use of the word recovery, but think I should mention it as it comes up later).

Dolphin

The next section is headed:
THE PSYCHOSOMATIC VIEW: CFS AND NEURASTHENIA

And looks at two such conceptions of the illness:

Ware, N. C., and A. Kleinman. 1992. Culture and somatic experience:
The social course of illness in neurasthenia and chronic fatigue
syndrome. Psychosomatic Medicine 54: 546–560.

And

Surawy, C., A. Hackmann, K. Hawton, and M. Sharpe. 1995.
Chronic fatigue syndrome: A cognitive approach. Behavior Research
and Therapy 33(5): 535–544.

That author says how they don't coincide with the stories the authors has read.

My position is also that both views are questionable and don't fit with the facts. However I would have preferred a more detailed attempt to say why they are flawed. Indeed, I'm not fully convinced by the reasons given by the author of the flaws, even though I'm sympathetic to the author, and not sympathetic to the views of the authors of those two studies.

The author then has a section:

A NEW MODEL OF RECOVERY: PERSON-CENTERED MANAGEMENT

The first paragraph ends with this:

A more patient-centered, holistic approach would be better fitted to meet the needs of patients. The two case studies that follow, extracted from my sample, are syntheses of the biographies of Hatcher (2005) and Kerner (2004), respectively. These case studies exemplify factors that need to be considered in crafting a new type of treatment.

These are:

Hatcher, L. 2005. I’m not crazy, I’m just a little unwell: My journey
through chronic fatigue syndrome. Sydney, Australia: Strand.
and

Kerner, D. 2004. My own medicine: The process of recovery from chronic
illness. New York, NY: IUniverse.

The author summarises these stories which are a bit different.

Dolphin

Author then concludes:

CONCLUSION*

In light of the lived experiences of illness collected from patients in this sample, a new model of recovery is proposed. Rather than suggesting a cure, this new approach advocates for a holistic, person-centered management plan for CFS patients.

Empowering the patient to take charge of his or her own recovery process should be a primary goal for the health care provider.

Variables between individuals with CFS should be taken into account when helping the patient craft a treatment plan that is appropriate for them.

Providing a supportive, nonjudgmental environment and a bias-free diagnosis is also important.

Since CFS symptoms often span the boundaries of several medical subspecialties, a management team should be in place to address all facets of the patient’s illness.

Providing a longitudinal, consistent, and unified record of the patient’s subjective complaints and laboratory tests would be crucial in applying for disability benefits.

Creating a support structure that can help the patient cope with changing symptoms and navigate relapses is a final recommendation.

*I've given each sentence its own paragraph

-------------
There are no numbers which might suit some people.

I was hoping for a more indepth discussion of ethical issues, quoting ethical principles, but it doesn't mention much that I recall.

It briefly mentions:

However, studies testing the therapeutic efficacy of CBT and GET have obtained mixed results, with some initial trials showing success and more recent ones claiming that these two particular interventions can in fact harm the patient by exacerbating symptoms (N´u˜nez et al. 2011; Twisk and Maes 2009).
with no other mention that I recall of possible problems with exercise. Also, exercise can cause more problems than "exacerbated symptoms".

It may briefly talk of some theories disempowering patients, but I didn't think it focused on it that much, or that well, although perhaps I read it too quickly and was thinking of other things.

Anyway, perhaps it might be useful to quote on occasion, but overall I was a bit disappointed with it.

Sparrowhawk

Thank you for the article and for breaking things up into readable chunks.

Recovery is described as a holistic process of learning how to live in harmony with oneself through remissions and relapses. Relinquishing attachment to complete recovery and focusing on general wellness and self-improvement instead of an absolute cure are described by participants as essential steps.

While a good interim step, this gets the dander up along the lines of the discussion right now in the thread about CFSAC -- e.g. we really need to get a cure, people.

So even though this above is essentially what I heard from Dr. Montoya at Stanford and they are seeing improvements in people who take the pacing course (I was quoted 30-60% improvement from baseline before the course for people who implement its suggestions, not sure how formally they measured that), I do get concerned that the prospect of other promising therapies, or incorporating our own search for remedies into the pacing regime are not even raised in the context of the course (If they are, I missed it).

As though you "must learn to live within your condition." That's just another way for the medical establishment to say "we don't care enough to pursue this aggressively."

Part of the reason I think the course is structured that way is that Bruce (story here: http://www.recoveryfromcfs.org/ ) recovered without meds, with pacing alone, after 7 years. While inspirational, that's not going to be everybody's story, I hazard.

We need the full patient centered approach outlined below, and the self pacing, and the support to pursue potential remedies, and a full research agenda, with funding, and disability benefits that recognize the severe and long term nature of the condition...you get my drift.

"Empowering the patient to take charge of his or her own recovery process should be a primary goal for the health care provider.

Variables between individuals with CFS should be taken into account when helping the patient craft a treatment plan that is appropriate for them.

Providing a supportive, nonjudgmental environment and a bias-free diagnosis is also important.

Since CFS symptoms often span the boundaries of several medical subspecialties, a management team should be in place to address all facets of the patient’s illness.

Providing a longitudinal, consistent, and unified record of the patient’s subjective complaints and laboratory tests would be crucial in applying for disability benefits.

Creating a support structure that can help the patient cope with changing symptoms and navigate relapses is a final recommendation."

Wouldn't all that be nice!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
This seems valuable as far as it's always good to listen to the patient and look at whatever specific tests they have so far rather than using a blanket CFS diagnosis = NICE/CDC protocol for CFS.

And it's always nice to see somatization and the "pragmatic rehabilitation" approach shown up as bolgonia.

However, I'm concerned because everyone who receives a diagnosis of CFS (or, rarely, ME) or considers themself to have CFS or ME or ME/CFS or CFIDS does not necessarily have the same illness.

So it would be good for this author to warn readers to not overgeneralize from some patients' experiences to others (not saying the author did this, but it seems like it would be easy for a reader not familiar with ME/CFS to do).

Sean

One or two okay points, including mentioning Nunez. But otherwise, pretty useless meta-fluff.

Sorry, not feeling too generous today.

Esther12

It is difficult to do this sort of work. Really, a paper like this would require years of reading and research... and the only people willing and able to do that are those already making money from CFS treatments.

Dolphin

It is difficult to do this sort of work. Really, a paper like this would require years of reading and research... and the only people willing and able to do that are those already making money from CFS treatments.

Some people who these sorts of papers are patients (some do this sort of work for PhDs and other degrees, which they may then publish).