• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Easy jar opening

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
New jar that you can't open? No need to buy special jar openers. The reason it's hard to open is that there is a vacuum inside the jar, so there is pressure difference between the inside and the outside. Equalise the pressure and it will open easily.

All you need is a knife (like a dining knife), a flat-headed screwdriver or similar.

Put the jar upside down on a flat, hard surface (e.g. a worktop, table or tray). Gently insert the knife or screwdriver between the jar and the lid. You may feel or hear a release of air, which is the pressure equalising. Then turn the jar the right way up and see if you can open it. Try again if it doesn't work first time.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
If the issue is not a vacuum but the lid (of a bottle, especially) being one of those perforated things, I put rubber gloves on to open it if it's difficult - it gives you traction.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
If the issue is not a vacuum but the lid (of a bottle, especially) being one of those perforated things, I put rubber gloves on to open it if it's difficult - it gives you traction.

Strong gardening gloves or pliers can do the job with those too!

alex3619

I use this trick sometimes. I used to be the guy with the party trick ... you know, can open any bottle or jar instantly. Alas now I can't even be sure of picking it up without dropping it. Another trick is to run the lid under hot water if it is metal. It will expand, breaking the seal ... and you know the rest of the story. Just be careful with screwdrivers etc and glass jars, or hot water and cold glass jars, the jar can shatter.

Now perforated rings on plastic lids can be cut or forced open with a screwdriver. Just be careful cutting ... hands can be cut too. I too have a pair of heavy garden gloves that I use sometimes. They are handy.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
You can also give the edge of the jar lid a whack with the back of a heavy knife--breaks the seal. But the jar will no longer be water-tight, if that is an issue.

Sushi

P.S. Isn't it nice to discuss a problem that has easy solutions! :)

rosie26

I use a can opener, that has a bottle lid opener on the end of it. I go round the lid and ease slightly up the edge of lid until I hear the air escape. I don't think I would be able to open the lid otherwise, they really make you feel weak wristed.