• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COMT and methylfolate

Creekee

However, I spoke to someone who is also COMT +/+ and they're taking 2400 mcg of methylfolate. I'm almost positive they meant 2400 mcg and not 2 x 400 mcg, but just for clarification @Creekee

Yes, I am +/+, +/+ and +/- COMT and currently taking 2400 mcgs of methylfolate. Along with hydroxy B12 and adenosyl B12. Waiting a bit before attempting to test methyl B12. I am doing well on my current mix. Overall trajectory is absolutely UP, with an occasional bad day.

I haven’t had anxiety or excitotoxicity symptoms except for two nights that I was too wired to sleep. One was the night I mistakenly took 800 mcgs of folinic acid as my first dose. The other was the first day I added L-Carnitine Fumarate. I bagged the folinic acid for now and quickly adjusted to the LCF which I continue to take.

We have to keep in mind that there may be other mutations on board – such as COMT. Niacin speeds up COMT which is one reason why it also may be useful. If one speeds up COMT, then things like dopamine and epinephrine get broken down faster. Niacin also is a ‘sponge’ for methyl groups, namely SAMe, because SAMe is required to metabolize niacin.

Wonder if us multi COMTs should be adding a little niacin to our mix? I did take a small amount one day and didn't get any flush response, fwiw.

Al Klein

I am researching and researching most googling I do comes back to PR :)

I started taking methyl B12 Jarrows 5000 a few months ago,and immediately felt a big improvement, this has been sustained. I get the occasional hydroxy shot for my GP. I have been taking metafolin, ramping up to 800mcg. 9also magnesium, potassium, other B vits and some minerals)

After getting my 23andme/geneticgenie results I am a bit confused as to wether this amount of methyl on a daily basis is going to be a good thing long term.
I am homo for COMT, CBS and MTRR - ignoring VDR and MAO at present.

This is confusing as CBS says less methyl, MTRR says more methyl(cobalamin). I have tried cutting out the metafolin, but suspect this is reducing my stamina.

PLEASE can anyone give me any hints or tips of things to look out for- how to recognise wether I need the metafolin again?

Many Thanks

Critterina

I am homo for COMT, CBS and MTRR - ignoring VDR and MAO at present.

This is confusing as CBS says less methyl, MTRR says more methyl(cobalamin). I have tried cutting out the metafolin, but suspect this is reducing my stamina.

PLEASE can anyone give me any hints or tips of things to look out for- how to recognise wether I need the metafolin again?

Many Thanks
Al,
Two thoughts: 1. Your insight into how you're feeling is probably a good indicator, at least, that you were tolerating the methyl groups you were taking. 2. Please read http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ylation-and-healing.21725/page-17#post-376144. I experienced level one with the angular chelitis and face/scalp breakouts etc. I didn't know what it was for two months, until I read this article. This was a sure sign to me that I needed more MTHF (which you get in the Metafolin).
Sounds like you're doing well over all, so that's great.

Al Klein

Thanks, Critterina, I have had an increase in head lesions too! I need to read over that thread again! I seem to have come through menopause without needing any additional hormones, starting B12 was THE THING for me! the onlt thing that hasnt shifted yet is the excess weight I picked up in years of being defficient :( that might still come I guess.

Will prob start back on the metafolin.

Did you get an answer to your Q about titration - it has a different meaning in my head from school chemistry too!

Critterina

Thanks, Critterina, I have had an increase in head lesions too! I need to read over that thread again! I seem to have come through menopause without needing any additional hormones, starting B12 was THE THING for me! the onlt thing that hasnt shifted yet is the excess weight I picked up in years of being defficient :( that might still come I guess.

Will prob start back on the metafolin.

Did you get an answer to your Q about titration - it has a different meaning in my head from school chemistry too!

Al,

I didn't notice the avatar: I kept thinking you were a guy. Reset!

I did the same with menopause, then three years later and after an illness, my hormones were all in the dumps. So I started on a compounded cream 3 months ago and the lesions appeared after 2 weeks - I thought it was the hormones!

So my lesions are back.When I cleared up I was using folinic acid and MTHF, but quit the FA and upped my MTHF at the same time by about the same amount, and they came back. It's not really the topic of this thread, so do you want to start another one so we can figure this out together? Or maybe there's an old one we could resurrect.

No, I never got an answer about titration and sufficiency. Do you know? (I haven't seen any posts by Freddd, so I hope it's not because of another bad episode.)

I recently had to completely quit taking Methyl supps (MB12 and MFolate). I had the reaction of feeling bad only after a few weeks of starting. I developed a lump in throat that went away within 24 hours of quitting those supps.

I do not have a problem with MB12. I can take shots, sublinguals, and no good/no bad noticed. So, it has to be the MethylB12. However, I've been taking Adrenocor or 3 years with no issue and it has 120mcg folate as 5Mthyl AND folic acid but doesn't break down how much of each.

I did notice the problems for me started at around 4mg/day of Methylfolate. I also noticed after starting TMG that EXTREME brain fog would kick in almost immediately. I'm COMT homo for both. Dr. Tim from MTHFR support (on FB) just sent out a warning for those jumping onboard without addressing downstream first, especially those with COMT and that there could be a lot of copper dumping. Hmmmm...

I wonder if I should try a trial of HydroB12/Methyfolate or just go back to MethylB/Methylfolate and start REALLY small. I know about the paradox hole and that many have been helped with huge amounts, but after my experience on just 6mg/day and the huge lump in my throat, I was too scared to go up any more.

I am wondering the same thing, I am COMT +/- (also CBS +/-) and trying to start some kind of methylation protocol. But I have concerns about methyl sensitivity too, and was also contemplating the methylfolate issue. I've been pointed to info from Yasko, who suggests that those with COMT rotate methyl donors. I have decided to start with hydroxycobalamin, then eventually add folinic acid one day and 5-MTHF the next, switching back and forth. I may or may not add TMG, depending on how I feel.

@Symptomatic - I see it's been about a year since you posted that you would rotate methyl donor, starting with Hydroxy, then folinic. I had a rough start and am re-thinking doing the same thing. How are you coming along?

Symptomatic

I jumped in with both feet, rotating methyl donors. Then decided to stop completely. A few months ago, I started easing into Yasko's new protocol - so just taking 200 mg SAMe/day right now. Will probably add the hydroxycobalamin in again soon.

Helen

I have no problem with methyl donors with 5 out of 6 COMT mutations (in the profile from GeneticGenie) and being homozygote for MAOA. There must be other factors that make some people sensitive to methyl donors, as you @Valentinj and others suggest

musicchick581

My test looks like this:
MTHFR compound heterozygous 677 and 1298
+/+ MAO A and BHMT 08
+/- COMT 158 and H62H, VDR Bsm and Taq, ACAT, MTRRA66G and CBSA360A

There are others I found through Sterling's app but these are most of my Genetic Genie results. I have some other MTHFR polymorphisms but they are not researched yet.

I was fine on methylfolate and am taking a multivitamin with 400 mcg. and a supplement with 500 mcg. (900 mcg. total) a day. I worked slowly up to that.

The Methylcobalmin made me feel crazy in the head for awhile on 500 mcg. liquid so I had to start slow. My multi has 50 mcg adenosyl and methylcobalmin mixed. I slowly increased my liquid to 600 mcg. So I'm on 650 mcg of methylcobalmin. I can't tell if there are effects.

I've been very tired lately and getting headaches in places in my head I don't normally have them. (I have daily tension headaches from TMJ but these are different). My B6 is extremely high but doc isn't worried. I had to stop DMG awhile ago after only a week on it because of feeling wired and weird. I am dizzy normally anyway and have been battling anxiety and panic attacks for years. Neuroreplete (5HTP) for many years didn't help me much after awhile and my urine tests over the years for neurotransmitters were all over the place, some too low, some too high, then changing.

I 'd like to try hydroxycobalmin too as my doctor said to try it if I want, he doesn't know much about adenosylcobalmin.

My concern is, how do we know whether our body turns hydroxy and adenosyl into methyl? How do we know if we can use it?

I did some gene lab tests and found out I am homozygous MTHFR - C677T and homozygous COMT - rs4680 Val/Val. The explanation says higher COMT activity and parallel reduction in frontal lobe dopamine. From my understanding this means my body breaks down dopamine faster than normal. Every time I try to take any methyl donor like l-methylfolate or trimethylglycine (TMG) to help with the MTHFR mutation, I get anxious. What I don't understand is if I am COMT - rs4680 Val/Val, why do I get the anxiety, if my body breaks down dopamine faster than normal.

What can I do to be able to take the methyl donors like l-methylfolate without getting the anxiety.

If it is not because of the COMT mutation, how can one discover what is the reason ?

Can anyone please shine some light to this. or what to test to find out why this is happening.

Thank you very much for your help.

My head is spinning.......so much info and too much for this small brain to digest! I just got my 23&Me and want so badly to get started treating myself (no decent docs around).

I've devoured everything I can from Yasko, Dr.Ben,SterlingHill...what I have gleaned is how I should begin is this: Sublingual Hydroxycobalamin B-12 but am very unclear on what "folation" to try....is just doing the Hydroxy B-12 enough to "fix" the folation problem, or do I need to add something else (ie, Methionine drops?)?

What I'm dealing with (partially) is this:

COMT +/+ H62H
V158M ++

I have other red flags in the Methylation category also but it seems to me these are the biggies. Can anyone recommend a "safe" Methyl whatever thingie to add to my Syblingual Hydroxycobalamin B-!2?

Man this is insantiy. I am so overwhelmed and have so much respect for everyone that seems to be so incredibly knowledgeable here.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated (what methyl or folate or whatever to add to my B-12).....too much!

Thanks in advance....