• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to boost melatonin?

Does anyone know how to boost melatonin without taking it (I can't take it)? My levels are very low.

helen1

You could try to increase what you need to make melatonin, and try reducing things that decrease melatonin.

To make melatonin, you need serotonin since serotonin is converted into melatonin. B12 is needed for the conversion.

To increase serotonin, B3 and B6 are essential. These can also help increase serotonin: 5HTP, tryptophan, sunshine, bright light (3000+ lux), Vit D, carbs (especially tart cherries, bananas, oats), flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, pleasure, relaxation, laughter, moderate and light exercise, SAMe.

These decrease your melatonin: ibuprofen, aspirin, caffeine, any light, especially sunlight and blue light from computers and other screens, alcohol.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
MethylB12 blocks melatonin production, so if you are taking it, take it in the morning.

Some of us wear blue-blocking sunglasses in the evening to encourage melatonin production.

You can buy tart cherry juice concentrate to mix with water and drink before bedtime.

You could try to increase what you need to make melatonin, and try reducing things that decrease melatonin.

To make melatonin, you need serotonin since serotonin is converted into melatonin. B12 is needed for the conversion.

To increase serotonin, B3 and B6 are essential. These can also help increase serotonin: 5HTP, tryptophan, sunshine, bright light (3000+ lux), Vit D, carbs (especially tart cherries, bananas, oats), flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, pleasure, relaxation, laughter, moderate and light exercise, SAMe.

These decrease your melatonin: ibuprofen, aspirin, caffeine, any light, especially sunlight and blue light from computers and other screens, alcohol.

Thanks for all the info. I'm confused about the B12 issue. Another poster says that methyl interferes with the conversion of serotonin into melatonin. Which type of B12 are you referring to?

MethylB12 blocks melatonin production, so if you are taking it, take it in the morning.

Some of us wear blue-blocking sunglasses in the evening to encourage melatonin production.

You can buy tart cherry juice concentrate to mix with water and drink before bedtime.

Where do you buy the blue-light blocking glasses?

maddietod

I bought orange glasses from Amazon.

My doctor just gave me samples of Rozerem. Apparently it increases melatonin.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hey madie, I have orange glasses too but when I checked them with the "blue light" test that was posted on here a while back, they failed, even though they look to be the same color as the blue-blockers. Did yours say that they will block blue light?

Sushi

helen1

CBS64. The B12 and sleep interaction can be confusing, since B12 has 3 main effects on sleep: it provokes melatonin release a little earlier at night, but also causes it to stop it's release from the pineal gland a little sooner in the morning, plus B12 increases your sensitivity to light in the morning. So yes it might help you sleep, helps reset the circadian clock and helps you wake up more easily in the morning as long as there's a source of light.

On another note, I also wear amber sunglasses when on screen in the evening.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
What is the "blue light test?"

Someone posted a test for blue blocking glasses. I don't remember who it was. We could probably find it with a google search but I don't have time at the moment. It was interesting cause you could put on your orange glasses, look at the test and see if they were really working.

Sushi

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
It does not say how much cherry juice was used. I have seen 1 oz. recommended. It is good in seltzer water or tonic water.