• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Prolactin Causes Severe Fatigue.

Ema

I would like to know if anyone has used both cycloset and normal bromocriptine and can compare the differences. Maybe paranoya but i wonder if its just another way to patent an old medication as a new one??
I just took one! I hope I don't get nausea or fainting. I hate both of those!

So here is an article that says that the formulation does make a difference.

"The formulation of bromocriptine is also important. In these clinical studies, 5 out of 6 studies that showed clinical benefits used RR-bromocriptine.20–24 The one study that used an ordinary form of bromocriptine showed no benefit.25 Since “fine tuning” seems important for effects on hypothalamic circadian rhythm, RR-bromocriptine may be required to meet the concept and hypothesis of improved glucose and energy metabolism through CNS mediation."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047985/

The studies were all pretty small though.

Wish me luck!

Ema

Ema

Well, goodness, this has all been very anti-climactic so far (knock wood).

I wonder if I should go straight on to 1.6 mg tomorrow?

Ema

Maybe not so anti-climactic...second day at 0.8, I do have nausea, headache and a lot of fatigue. It's discouraging but not unexpected since the side effects were so widely reported. Sucks to feel like crap again though when I was just starting to feel normal-ish again...I hope it is worth it!

Ema

Rand56

Maybe not so anti-climactic...second day at 0.8, I do have nausea, headache and a lot of fatigue. It's discouraging but not unexpected since the side effects were so widely reported. Sucks to feel like crap again though when I was just starting to feel normal-ish again...I hope it is worth it!

Ema

hi Ema

Sorry you're feeling like crud :(. Maybe try taking it this way? :thumbsup:......

"Adverse effects occur in over 50% of women taking oral bromocriptine, causing at least 10% to discontinue treatment. Although the drug is absorbed from the vagina and reportedly caused no side-effects in one patient intolerant of oral bromocriptine, long-term clinical effects of daily vaginal administration have not been assessed. We have now given bromocriptine vaginally for up to 2 years to 31 hyperprolactinemic and five normoprolactinemic women, 17 of whom were intolerant of oral bromocriptine. The drug was well absorbed from the vagina and a daily dosage of 2.5 mg lowered serum prolactin levels in 28 of the hyperprolactinemic women (in 11 to within normal limits), restored menstrual cyclicity, and abolished galactorrhea; one of the four infertile women conceived. Minor side-effects occurred in only three women. Vaginal administration is clinically effective, avoids the adverse effects of oral therapy and could be the first-line treatment for patients requiring bromocriptine."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1502929

Rand

Ema

hi Ema

Sorry you're feeling like crud :(. Maybe try taking it this way? :thumbsup:......

"Adverse effects occur in over 50% of women taking oral bromocriptine, causing at least 10% to discontinue treatment. Although the drug is absorbed from the vagina and reportedly caused no side-effects in one patient intolerant of oral bromocriptine, long-term clinical effects of daily vaginal administration have not been assessed. We have now given bromocriptine vaginally for up to 2 years to 31 hyperprolactinemic and five normoprolactinemic women, 17 of whom were intolerant of oral bromocriptine. The drug was well absorbed from the vagina and a daily dosage of 2.5 mg lowered serum prolactin levels in 28 of the hyperprolactinemic women (in 11 to within normal limits), restored menstrual cyclicity, and abolished galactorrhea; one of the four infertile women conceived. Minor side-effects occurred in only three women. Vaginal administration is clinically effective, avoids the adverse effects of oral therapy and could be the first-line treatment for patients requiring bromocriptine."

Rand
Interesting! I might give that a try...wonder if it works with Cycloset as well as the regular bromocriptine? I'll have to check out the Krazy Kruse forums...

Thanks!
Ema

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i wonder if normal bromo might be different because it isnt absorbed as fast or what u have mentioned early, not as much absorbed either?? worth a shot.

Ema

I'll keep at it for another week or so at least. I've waited so long to try this med that I can't see giving up already. I just wanted to whine a little bit about feeling crappy. :)

I might try the cabergoline if I can't stand the bromocriptine. I think you only have to take that once or maybe twice a week.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
even some of the meds used for restless leg syndrome might have a different effect. I think i recall reading where one of these types of dopamine agonists helped fibro??

xks201

Tried caber and pramipexole...prefer caber...it's easy to OD on these drugs. Oding on prami by .1mg will make you extremely nauseous, dizzy, and tired.

Ema

I haven't noticed anything like what she describes with the Cycloset. Sure wish I had! I've only noticed nausea, headaches, OI and increased fatigue. Makes me jealous!

Ema

Ema

hi Ema

Rand
I'm really seriously considering trying it this way. Wish I could find just one person that had done it though! I have posted on the Kruse forums. We'll see!

Ema

Ema

hi Ema

Rand
Kruse replied to my post on his forum and said Cycloset could be used vaginally.

Thanks for the tip, Rand56!

roxie60

Interesting. I believe that is the fourth thing the Dr is testing today. She mentioned something about a tumor. I know nothing about this test so I need to do some research. All my neurotransmitters have been low to very low, my estridiol, progesterone and testosterone were/are low (now being treated with estridiol and just started progesterone (BI) last week. Will be interested to see what the prolactin result is. There seem to be so many things that can cause so many of our symps, no wonder we, doctors and family/friends get worn out chasing answers.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
The reference range for men is 2 -18. Mine has consistently been in ranges 20 - 31. Looking at bodybuilding forums, a normal range in healthy men (that is the range that counts) is indeed lower, 8 -13. This is just a piece of the puzzle ( I have more than a dozen of hormones low or high) but it is interesting to note that high prolactin lowers DHEA, and mine is of course low/very low. Somehow I think high prolactin has something to do with Adrenal Fatigue.

Because I feel for you Ema , and there is no need to do weird things, I will tell you with details what I took for prolactin. It was a bodybuilding supplement called PowerFULL. It has a high quality extract of Mucuna and Safed Musli (basically aphrodisiacs but they do a host more of things).

Remember, I have had my prolactin tested like 6 times or more in a range of two years. The only time it was inside the so called normal range was when I took this supplement.

This is from 2011, when I was posting in bodybuilding/hormone forums, fighting with doctors to get regular testing and trying to correct my hormones thinking they were the only thing wrong. That didnt go well, but I am somehwat proud I managed to lower prolactin so much and boost free testosterone a lot also. If anyone is interested Nettle Root Extract boosted my free test 300%. Not much impact in symptoms I fear but I plan to try again also lowering my high estradiol and also back them I was better, now an improvement would be felt easily.

My tested levels before taking PowerFULL were
TAKEN THE 20 OF OCTOBER
Prolactin (serum) 31,30 pg/ml 3,00-25,00 ng/ml

After:

TAKEN THE 21 OF NOVEMBER
PROLACTIN SERUM- 5.13 ng/ml (2.60-18.1)

Ema

The reference range for men is 2 -18. Mine has consistently been in ranges 20 - 31. Looking at bodybuilding forums, a normal range in healthy men (that is the range that counts) is indeed lower, 8 -13. This is just a piece of the puzzle ( I have more than a dozen of hormones low or high) but it is interesting to note that high prolactin lowers DHEA, and mine is of course low/very low. Somehow I think high prolactin has something to do with Adrenal Fatigue.

Because I feel for you Ema , and there is no need to do weird things, I will tell you with details what I took for prolactin. It was a bodybuilding supplement called PowerFULL. It has a high quality extract of Mucuna and Safed Musli (basically aphrodisiacs but they do a host more of things).

Remember, I have had my prolactin tested like 6 times or more in a range of two years. The only time it was inside the so called normal range was when I took this supplement.

This is from 2011, when I was posting in bodybuilding/hormone forums, fighting with doctors to get regular testing and trying to correct my hormones thinking they were the only thing wrong. That didnt go well, but I am somehwat proud I managed to lower prolactin so much and boost free testosterone a lot also. If anyone is interested Nettle Root Extract boosted my free test 300%. Not much impact in symptoms I fear but I plan to try again also lowering my high estradiol and also back them I was better, now an improvement would be felt easily.

My tested levels before taking PowerFULL were
TAKEN THE 20 OF OCTOBER
Prolactin (serum) 31,30 pg/ml 3,00-25,00 ng/ml

After:

TAKEN THE 21 OF NOVEMBER
PROLACTIN SERUM- 5.13 ng/ml (2.60-18.1)
Looking at this supplement brings me back to a question I have about prolactin and the relationship to growth hormone.

Reading on the Kruse forums, it seems like he is saying that a messed up circadian rhythm causes a lack of prolactin surge which leads to lowered growth hormone secretion. It seems like it is something about the prolactin surge that causes the growth hormone release and possibly the cortisol release later on in the early morning hours.

So how exactly does that line up with the fact that bromocriptine lowers prolactin?

I have high IGF1 which indicates at least the possibility of high growth hormone though I know the test is not perfect. But that makes more sense to me with high prolactin - that I am constantly secreting prolactin and thus have high growth hormone.

How does a product such as this Powerfull lower prolactin and increase growth hormone? Those two seem like they are opposing.

Ema

Ema

So my Cycloset trial is over. Too many side effects.

I did lose a few pounds though so I'm clearly on the right track. Now just to find something that doesn't make me feel like dog doo.

I'm going to take a week off and then try the next thing on my list - either selegeline or galantamine.

Ema