• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice sought on how to tweak current methylation protocol...

Hey All,

I’m writing to seek a little methylation-related advice.

I have been on Rich Vank’s simplified methylation protocol for around 2.5 months now, taking@

- half a tablet of Solgar Metafolin (around 400mg)
- half a tablet of folinic acid (around 400mg)
- 1000mg of Jarrow’s sublingual B12 each day. However I have yet to notice any changes at all, either good or bad.

I haven’t invested in any testing, partly because I’m based in the UK which makes it hard to get the labs done. I could get the methylation pathways panel done through a lab in the Netherlands, but I guess I couldn’t access 23andme as that’s US-only (I think).

I’m writing to see if anyone could recommend any next steps for me in this situation? Do you think it would be helpful to get the methylation pathways panel done so I could potentially target treatment better, should I add/change the supplements I’m taking, or should I just wait it out for a while longer?

Thanks for any tips…

Hugocfs

Are you taking the 1200 mg of lecithin and the general vitamin (Neurological Health Formula)?

Valentijn

I haven’t invested in any testing, partly because I’m based in the UK which makes it hard to get the labs done. I could get the methylation pathways panel done through a lab in the Netherlands, but I guess I couldn’t access 23andme as that’s US-only (I think).
23andMe is available worldwide. I'm in the Netherlands and had mine done recently. The only drawback is that the shipping cost an extra $80.

Bluebell

Hey All, I’m writing to seek a little methylation-related advice....

Franzfan, Valentijn and I both gave you some advice after you made the following post, but you don't seem to have read it: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...lation-protocol-poll.3579/page-12#post-370643.

Rich's protocol includes a specific multi-vitamin/mineral and lecithin. You aren't doing his protocol if you aren't trying those too.

The 23andMe report is easy to order from the UK, and getting it is key to figuring out one's methylation issues.

You have posted several times in the past few months about ordering the methylation pathways panel from the UK, and you've received good advice on what to do, yet you haven't done it.

You seem to wish for there to be some next steps that involve something different than what the next obvious steps actually are. I can empathize with being in a holding pattern and feeling 'analysis paralysis', but you are asking the same questions and apparently expecting different answers.

Thanks for your replies and sound advice. I'm not trying to over-analyse; it's more about trying to work out the next steps I can follow that are most cost-effective. I don't have much money at all and so need to spend it as wisely as possible and so am keen to draw on experience of others who have been in a similar situation.

Based on what I read of Rich's protocol and have read previously about methylation, it sounded as though the 3 supplements I am taking are the central components of methylation and should yield some change without additional supplements, but I agree a good next step will also be to try Rich's suggested multiviatmin and lecithin.

I will also order 23andme as I see that could be helpful in targeting treatment better. I've decided the Methylation Pathways Panel is just too expensive for me.

Thanks again

Bluebell

Based on what I read of Rich's protocol and have read previously about methylation, it sounded as though the 3 supplements I am taking are the central components of methylation and should yield some change without additional supplements, but I agree a good next step will also be to try Rich's suggested multiviatmin and lecithin.
I will also order 23andme as I see that could be helpful in targeting treatment better.
I've decided the Methylation Pathways Panel is just too expensive for me.

Sometimes I am in the same kind of "pause" mode, so I didn't mean to sound too sharp.

I hovered for quite a while before ordering a recent set of blood/urine/saliva tests, because there were so many health conditions I wanted to cover, and so many tests available in the US to order privately, but I don't have many funds either. I analyzed that decision for a couple of weeks! In the end, I think I made the best choices I could, and I stretched the budget as far as I could.

Like you, I decided against the methylation pathways panel due to cost. I did the 23andMe test.

Rich plainly said that the multi-vitamin/mineral was an essential part of his program. The Lecithin is also one of the 5 components -- he had already reduced it down as far as he could, to 5. There were a dozen other things that he said might be good to take, but these 5 were the ones that were required for everyone, right from the start.

You should go back over his writings and take some notes. It can be hard to keep it all in one's mind and remember everything.

Further, no methylation program that I've seen says it's okay to not take a basic array of all the vitamins and minerals, and just jump in with B12 and B9 by themselves. B12 and B9 require the other B vitamins to work correctly in the body. You could make yourself worse, or simply be wasting much of the B12 and B9 you ingest, if you don't take those basic co-factors along with them.

If your budget doesn't stretch to the expensive multi-vitamin/mineral that Rich recommended by Holistic Health (or whatever it was), you can take a different one, just try to match up the ingredients as well as you can.

No pre-fabricated multi works for what I want, so I am taking separate vitamins and minerals, about 2 dozen bottles, to approximate what would be in a good, basic multi. I am cutting some of the tablets into 6ths or 4ths because they come in 100 mg, 1000 mcg, and so forth, but I don't want that much at once. The cost per day isn't very much, considering how many different ones that I had to buy.