• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DNA results help

paul80

Could anyone please help me with these DNA results?

paul80results.jpg

Valentijn

Could anyone please help me with these DNA results?
You have the slow versions of MAOA and COMT, hence you're breaking down serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine, and norepinephrine somewhat slowly. But you have the faster version of VDR Taq (VDR Bsm is exactly the same thing usually, just reported backwards), so you are probably producing dopamine (which turns into norepinephrine then epinephrine) at a normal rate. This suggests that you really don't need and wouldn't tolerate extra methyl groups or serotonin and dopamine precursors.

Fortunately you don't have the nasty MTHFR SNP, and the other two have little or no impact by themselves, especially when heterozgyous. Supplementing with methyfolate probably isn't necessary, though you could always try it anyhow or get tested if worried about it.

Your MTR and MTRR could indicate a problem resulting in higher homocysteine and lower B12. Due to your COMT and MAOA issue, hydroxoB12 is a safer bet than methylB12.

BHMT-08 can also result in increased homocysteine. The other BHMT SNPs listed don't have an impact on the gene.

CBS C699T might result in a slight upregulation in disposing of homocysteine via an alternative pathway. The other CBS SNPs don't impact the functioning of their gene.

SHMT1 is typically only relevant when it's homozygous and MTHFR C677T is present. Neither applies to you, so it's unlikely that you need the usual indicated supplements (folate and folinic acid).

ACAT1-02 also isn't shown to have any impact on its gene.

SUMMARY:
HydroxoB12 may be helpful. It also could be a good idea to keep an eye on your homocysteine levels.

paul80

Thanks Valentijn, I have found that i don't tolerate mb12 but hb12 has been helpful. I've been taking methyfolate with the hb12, i thought i needed both.

What affects homocysteine levels?

Bluebell

What affects homocysteine levels?

Hi Paul80, there is a lot of information about methylation in a reference list that I've put on a thread here at PhoenixRising. The link to the thread is below my signature line -->

The two main resources that talk people through their mutations as they are written on the GeneticGenie report are some publications by Dr. Amy Yasko and a website by Dr. James Roberts. You will find the addresses for those in my list of links.

Not everyone agrees with everything those 2 doctors say, but they offer the best resources out there right now for the layperson in terms of breadth and depth of advice offered.

Beyond GeneticGenie, there are some other free (and paid) services that will analyze your 23andMe data and provide you with a report and advice. Those are listed at the end of my links list.