• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could anyone help me evaluate my adrenal stress profile results?

Hello, this is my first try at testing and I am not sure what the results mean in terms of whether I'm trying to manage 'high' cortisol or 'low' - any feedback would be great. My basal temps are always on the floor, fluctuating anything from 34.9c to 36.6c throughout the day.

Sample 1 Post awakening (outside range high) 26.8 nmol/L
Sample 2 +4-5 hours (outside range low) 4.6 nmol/L
Sample 3 = 4-5 hours 4.2 nmol/L
Samole 4 (Prior to sleep) 1.0 nmol/L

Total Daily Cortisol 36.6 in a range of 21-41 nmol/L

Dhea am 0.93 High
Dhea pm 0.66

Dhea Cortisol ratio 2.17

Townie, could you please post the actual ranges with your results?

Ema

Thanks Ema,

Sample 1 Post awakening (outside range high) 26.8 nmol/L Range 12-22
Sample 2 +4-5 hours (outside range low) 4.6 nmol/L Range 5.0-9.0
Sample 3 = 4-5 hours 4.2 nmol/L Range 3.0 - 7.0
Sample 4 (Prior to sleep) 1.0 nmol/L Range 1.0 - 3.0

Dhea am 0.93 High
Dhea pm 0.66

DHEA Mean 0.80 Range 0.20 - 0.70

DHEA Cortisol ratio 2.17 Range 0.6-3.0

Ema

I think if those were my results, I would look into some herbal adaptogens to see if you could mitigate your swinging rhythm in the first part of the day.

Your high AM result is causing an overcorrection at noon but the rest of the day/night looks pretty good.

I would look at rhodiola, rehmannia, schisandra, or astragalus and see if any of those sound like they would work with your symptom profile.

Also, Vit C is very good for adrenal health. I like the Thorne buffered C powder a lot (even better than liposomal forms).

Ema

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Agree with Ema there. i think its a sign of the start of stress and time to rest up before things start taking a nose dive. Dhea can be high as an initial sign of stress response and is known to drop low before cortisol does??

SO its now about chilling out the best u can and getting good sleep if possible. I find withania a good adaptogen which can help with sleep if taken at night.

cheers!!

Thanks Ema and Heapsreal, it's helpful to get feedback about these results in normal everyday terms :) I was a bit confused as to what they suggested - the herbs look good and I have had success previously with Rhodiola in raising energy levels, but I had stopped taking them until I had the adrenal stress test (and further tests with NHS coming) because I was taking them 'blind' not knowing whether my problems are caused by low or high cortisol, I see now that you are both saying my levels are swinging around a bit :) Thanks again.