• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone fancy a plastic cuppa?

Gross.

"epichlorohydrin is also used as a pesticide."

The article also mentions this being in coffee filters, water filters, sausage casings, and refined vegetable oils.

"When epichlorohydrin comes in contact with water, it hydrolyzes to 3-MCPD, which has been shown to cause cancer in animals. It’s also been implicated in infertility (it has a spermatoxic effect in male rats3) and suppressed immune function."

Seewell

This is shocking golden.
I drink clipper(green tea) too & Pukka Detox..
As they are a more green product,it would be nice to think they use a safer alternative..
This is one of those things i wish i hadnt seen,if you know what i mean.

golden

I do know what you mean! :)

I muttered out loud when I found that in my inbox !

Water Filters too!

I have to shelve some of the info sometimes though to make certain it doesnt become overwhelming.

I am going to have to find out about the herbal tea.

Since my whole protocol rests on eliminating chemicals, detoxing my body and nourishing it with vitamins and minerals I will have no choice than to change if I must...

Thanks for sharing this.
I think I'll start opening my tea bags and just brewing them loose leaf - as an easy way to use up what I've got without worrying about what's in the bag!

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I read that Mercola article this week too, and was so annoyed to hear about it. :mad:
Can't they just stop putting toxic crap in our food. Arrrrggggh!

Seewell

Hi golden.After you worrying me about these tea bags:alien: :)
(But seriously)
I contacted Clipper tea with the mercola article link
Here is what they said

At Clipper we strive to ensure that all our products are as natural as possible, we never use artificial flavours or ingredients, and where possible we do not bleach our teabags; however Clipper paper teabags do contain a polyamide-epichlorohydrin resin, to help keep the teabag together when it goes into hot water. Please be assured that most teabags in the European market use this material, and it has been in standard use for many years.

PEA has been approved for use when in contact with food products, and we use the paper for its intended purpose, which complies with regulatory standards. Our teabag paper manufacturer does not add epichlorohydrin directly into the product or process. Independent testing indicates that residual epichlorohydrin is not detectable in the aqueous extract, meaning that the epichlorohydrin residue does not transfer to the tea.

We hope this goes some way to reassure you that you can trust Clipper to maintain the highest safety measures possible.

Seewell

I do know what you mean! :)

I muttered out loud when I found that in my inbox !

Water Filters too!

I have to shelve some of the info sometimes though to make certain it doesnt become overwhelming.

I am going to have to find out about the herbal tea.

Since my whole protocol rests on eliminating chemicals, detoxing my body and nourishing it with vitamins and minerals I will have no choice than to change if I must...

OMG Not water filters to.
I looked in my kettle,its metal but also has a plastic filter thing by the spout,
you cant get away from it!
Have you seen those fancy cooks on tv mixing up something,then putting it into cling film,
making that into a sausage shape,and then boiling it up in water !

golden

OMG Not water filters to.
I looked in my kettle,its metal but also has a plastic filter thing by the spout,
you cant get away from it!
Have you seen those fancy cooks on tv mixing up something,then putting it into cling film,
making that into a sausage shape,and then boiling it up in water !

I know ! :)

The plastic generation!

I cringe a bit when I see or hear of people using Tefal, microwaves.... (cant help it)

But these are much more obvious to avoid. These hidden plastics are a blinkin' nuisance...
:(

Buying a one person tea pot with a strainer soon (on my gadget list) ..... will pour tea bag contents out into that...lol

Where there is a will there is a way :)

LaurieL

Get a tea ball, I have had mine for many years, poor thing, its seen some use. I have a mean headache today, are paper towels on that list? I ran out of coffee filters a couple of years ago, and so I had to use a paper towel instead. I have used paper towels ever since, because it makes the coffee taste better. This is probably really bad too eh? Ooooo.....I feel a rant.....

I wish they would clean up our food, and our toiletries. I go into a supermarket, or when you look at a supermarket ad, and all you see is boxed, processed crap. Never any real food, except for the tiny one page of fruit and vegs that cost double what the processed crap they put out in mountains. You can't even trust the fruit and vegies because of the rampant pesticides, and of course, they are now incorporating the pestisides into the actual DNA of them, so it wouldn't matter if you washed them all day. :alien:

taniaaust1

I realised there was something very bad in some teabags a few months ago when I decided to reheat a little one of my teas in the microwave ( " certified organic") and had the teabag still in it. I only zapped for a very short time but found it left the whole cup of tea with a very strong chemical taste (which made me think of heated up plastics or that something very toxic, it was so discusting, not drinkable at all, it stunk too).

Certainly thou being advertised as so... this wasnt natural and organic and I realised it had something to do with the bag itself, it quite put me off and made me wonder how much of the chemical must be leaching out of that bag when I just add boiling water to my teas .. I hadnt heated up the tea enough in the microwave to boil it (it Im remember right, it was my roobios tea by Nerada Organics).

taniaaust1

golden

Get a tea ball, I have had mine for many years, poor thing, its seen some use. I have a mean headache today, are paper towels on that list? I ran out of coffee filters a couple of years ago, and so I had to use a paper towel instead. I have used paper towels ever since, because it makes the coffee taste better. This is probably really bad too eh? Ooooo.....I feel a rant.....

I wish they would clean up our food, and our toiletries. I go into a supermarket, or when you look at a supermarket ad, and all you see is boxed, processed crap. Never any real food, except for the tiny one page of fruit and vegs that cost double what the processed crap they put out in mountains. You can't even trust the fruit and vegies because of the rampant pesticides, and of course, they are now incorporating the pestisides into the actual DNA of them, so it wouldn't matter if you washed them all day. :alien:

Oh God forbid :(

All seems to be going in the wrong direction.

But occassionally I hear good advice coming from medics. The midwife association recommended recently pregnant women steer clear of chemicals.

Its so obvious. Its such common sense and no there probably hasnt been conclusive scientific 'proof '. The uproar about this natural advice though was depressing.

golden

I suggest to stick your cup of tea in your microwave with the bag in iand this may "help' you to know just how natural things are.

Should be a warning about that shouknt there. Nice little experiment :)

But microwaves are banned in Russia.

Now, I dont actually live in Russia ha ha :) But I think I discovered via intuition as a teenager just how bad microwaves are for you.

Dr. Mercola has some articles . Basically I dont think there is any nutrition left in you food etc. but its been a long time since i read about it.

I did wonder about a possible link with the elderly, increased use of microwaves and dementia etc. too...

taniaaust1

Should be a warning about that shouknt there. Nice little experiment :)

But microwaves are banned in Russia.

Now, I dont actually live in Russia ha ha :) But I think I discovered via intuition as a teenager just how bad microwaves are for you.

Dr. Mercola has some articles . Basically I dont think there is any nutrition left in you food etc. but its been a long time since i read about it.

I did wonder about a possible link with the elderly, increased use of microwaves and dementia etc. too...

wow.. banned in Russia, I had no idea of that.

I read something years ago how it had been found that microwaves changed the chemical? compensition (not sure if I have the right word.. the make up of it) of dairy products but they hadnt found at all that they were affecting other foods.

golden

wow.. banned in Russia, I had no idea of that.

I read something years ago how it had been found that microwaves changed the chemical? compensition (not sure if I have the right word.. the make up of it) of dairy products but they hadnt found at all that they were affecting other foods.

Its startling to see a whole country ban them...

this article suggests its not just dairy...

http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm