• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fibrinogen

ttt

I just got my fibrinogen tested, and I thought CFS was associated with high fibrinogen, but my fibrinogen is actually low -- 151 (193-507). Does anyone know what it means when fibrinogen is low?

Valentijn

I just got my fibrinogen tested, and I thought CFS was associated with high fibrinogen, but my fibrinogen is actually low -- 151 (193-507). Does anyone know what it means when fibrinogen is low?
From wikipedia:
Low levels of fibrinogen can indicate a systemic activation of the clotting system, with consumption of clotting factors faster than synthesis. This excessive clotting factor consumption condition is known as disseminated intravascular coagulation or "DIC."

LaurieL

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/disorders-of-fibrinogen

Low levels are usually associated with an "acquired" deficiency state. As far as CFS/ME, the high levels are most talked about, but the commonality is a abnormal coagulation state. So you may not fall into the most often category, you still have the general tendency. There are other values that should be looked at alongside this one. Liver testing would also be appropriate.

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/fibrinogen/tab/test

LaurieL

ttt

I love this forum -- there are so many smart people here. OK, but I'm not entirely sure I understand these responses. So I'm getting that low fibrinogen could be a problem. Does this mean, though, that I should get my fibrin tested at the same time to see if the reason my fibrinogen is low is because it's being over-converted to fibrin? And also get my liver tested to see if that's the problem? What are some tests for liver function?

Valentijn, I'm not sure if I understand that Wikipedia blurb, but is it basically saying the same thing that biophile is saying -- that I'm overconverting fibrinogen to fibrin?

ttt

Thanx, Sushi. I didn't really understand that second article (if you understand it, I'd love a dumbed down translation), but I looked up the tests on the ISAC profile, and I'm gonna have my doctor order them. Thank you!

Valentijn

Valentijn, I'm not sure if I understand that Wikipedia blurb, but is it basically saying the same thing that biophile is saying -- that I'm overconverting fibrinogen to fibrin?
I think so, though no idea if that's the only explanation for it. But in any case, low = bad :p