• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

secretory IgA anyone testing?

Daffodil

hello. my secretory IgA test result was 33. it says here that the normal range is: 510 - 2040 !!

i think this means i have severe leaky gut, even though all other leaky gut tests were normal!

has anyone else had this test?

helen1

I assume you mean fecal sIgA? Yes, I've had that tested 3x as part of GI testing, first time 14, then 30, then back down to 18. But the reference range for mine was 6-161. Which lab did you use?
Apparently a low level can be an indicator of leaky gut, yes. Or it can be an inherited low level that is unfortunate for your immunity but doesn't indicate leaky gut. Do you have food allergies? That's a significant indicator I believe. I don't know if I have leaky gut, as I have the low sIgA but no food allergies.

globalpilot

I have Daffodil. It's a great indicator I think to follow
It was 10 through metametrix (5-161) and 27 through Doctors Data (51-204).
I'm going to be doing antifungals soon to address my elevated mold anitbodies. I should retest after that

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
There is a saliva test for this as well the fecal test. The results from the two could have drastically different meanings.

end

hello. my secretory IgA test result was 33. it says here that the normal range is: 510 - 2040 !!

i think this means i have severe leaky gut, even though all other leaky gut tests were normal!

has anyone else had this test?

Chronic long term GI infection/s are a common cause of a depressed reading

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
if its a blood test igA this could have something to do with upper respiratory tract infections and sinusitis, which is the case with me. There was some research into post nasal drip causing gut infections as alot of these bugs in sinusitis were being swallowed, makes sense i guess. Dr whiting from memory who did alot of this research.

Daffodil

thanks all. i am not sure if this was tested in blood or stool. even though other leaky gut testing was always negative, a recent sCD14 test was elevated.....my doctor says severe leaky gut.

i have a list of foods i am not supposed to eat because they cause inflammation for me, including cow's milk. goat milk is OK for me, but i recently bought it and it tastes gamey. awful.

Misfit Toy

I have low IgA readings through blood. My allergist/immunologist told me so. I am wondering if that's why I am so sick with food intolerances.

Daffodil

IgA lines the mucus membranes and I think it helps keep out toxins or something.....if you have food intolerances, I wonder if treating your gut might help your condition.....who knows...

I have heard of several cases where people were improved or in "remission" from treating the gut

I think you have to find out what your gut flora is like....

Misfit Toy

Treating the gut is a very hard thing to tackle. 13 years ago, I was introduced to treating the gut. So far, nothing has worked. At CFS doc's now. Wondering what he may suggest.

globalpilot

Treating the gut is a very hard thing to tackle. 13 years ago, I was introduced to treating the gut. So far, nothing has worked. At CFS doc's now. Wondering what he may suggest.

I was just going to say the same thing. Even your time frame is the same is mine.
What is underlying the gut problems for each individual ? Viral ? Mold ? Mycotoxins ? etc. It's really hard to sort this all out.

Misfit Toy

Exactly. Healing the gut sounds like one big brush stroke that's easy. Candida treatment, antibiotics for the gut, probiotics, Kefir that was homemade did zip. Now what? I've eliminated all foods that I am allergic to. What next? If I didn't have to eat that would be great! No more reactions. It's so frustrating.

Misfit Toy

Well, my doctor wants me on glutamine, which another friend of mine said this isn't good because it's excitatory to the brain. What to do? I just spent $165 on supplements. This is so frustrating. And if they don't work...which the chances are high. I never have the hope I once had with supplements.

globalpilot

Exactly. Healing the gut sounds like one big brush stroke that's easy. Candida treatment, antibiotics for the gut, probiotics, Kefir that was homemade did zip. Now what? I've eliminated all foods that I am allergic to. What next? If I didn't have to eat that would be great! No more reactions. It's so frustrating.

It is frustrating and I also used to get frustrated with doctors etc saying you have to 'treat the gut first'. If I could treat my gut successfully I think my CFS would go away.

I'm looking into a few things now with a new doctor and will report results (good or bad).

Misfit Toy

Let me know what you are to be taking. My doc is really at a standstill or he just doesn't know what to do about it.