• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LED red intranasal light therapy

Lou

Anyone heard of or know much about this therapy? Dr. Robert Rowen has reported some fairly amazing success by the Chinese using this simple mechanism.

You simply shine this red light (in the 635 nm wavelength) up your nose and reportedly it easily penetrates the thin bones at the back of the nasal cavity getting the energy into the brain where it has some powerful healing effects.

Pertinent to us it activates the enzyme cytochrome oxidase, helps to 'turn on' the mitochondria. Also, it has positive effects on redox, cognitive function, insomnia, and headaches.

I've ordered the gadget (about 7 days until delivery) and will report my experience.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Anyone heard of or know much about this therapy? Dr. Robert Rowen has reported some fairly amazing success by the Chinese using this simple mechanism.

You simply shine this red light (in the 635 nm wavelength) up your nose and reportedly it easily penetrates the thin bones at the back of the nasal cavity getting the energy into the brain where it has some powerful healing effects.

Pertinent to us it activates the enzyme cytochrome oxidase, helps to 'turn on' the mitochondria. Also, it has positive effects on redox, cognitive function, insomnia, and headaches.

I've ordered the gadget (about 7 days until delivery) and will report my experience....ns, like a normal cell does.
China is well ahead of us in light research and
treatment. One study found that intranasal light therapy for 60 minutes per session, once daily over 10-14
days, improved insomnia for 82% of patients. In a study
on patients with mild cognitive impairment, intranasal
red light improved red blood cell deformability compared
to placebo.

I actually have one of these but the safety precautions say never to aim it at a person or animal. Any thoughts on this?

From Dr. Rowen:

The red light may have a similar effect as the more expensive oxidation therapy in improving (raising) the redox (oxidation/reduction) status of your cells. In fact, other research has shown that the light works best where the redox status is actually faulty, and the light doesn’t help at all if the redox status is optimal....China is well ahead of us in light research and treatment. One study found that intranasal light therapy for 60 minutes per session, once daily over 10-14 days, improved insomnia for 82% of patients.
http://www.mediclights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Newsletter-07-13.pdf

Lou

Sushi, You must have the laser version, the one I have coming is LED red light (non laser), harmless at whatever or whoever you point it.

Sushi

Sushi, You must have the laser version, the one I have coming is LED red light (non laser), harmless at whatever or whoever you point it.

I do have the laser version, but Rowen seems to be talking about lasers:

I’ve written here about laser therapy, particularly red light in the 635 nm wavelength
area. This wavelength of light has some exciting properties in healing a multitude of tissues.

Sushi

Lou

I do have the laser version, but Rowen seems to be talking about lasers:

Sushi

Nope, on page 4 of the article we're discussing, second from last paragraph, he talks about the Vielight they're selling:

......... "Better for us, since, as it is a LED and not laser, there are no FDA concerns."

Hope this helps.

Sushi

Nope, on page 4 of the article we're discussing, second from last paragraph, he talks about the Vielight they're selling:

......... "Better for us, since, as it is a LED and not laser, there are no FDA concerns."

Hope this helps.

Thanks! Wish it weren't so expensive though. :(

Sushi

Sushi

You're welcome. BTW, forgot to ask the obvious, what about your laser light? Have you been using it, and have you had positive results?

I use it in a different way--to potentiate remedies with Klinghardt's signal enhancers--not on the body itself. :)

Sushi

Lou

Thanks for this article. However, unless you read the entire article (some who scan will never get to the good part relative to this thread as; 'yikes', age-related-macular degeneration ((AMD)), oxidative insult, radical oxygen species, and vessel leakage mentioned in first two-thirds of paper may send some running for the hills) it could easily be missed that LED red light intranasal therapy is actually quite promising as a restorative, regenerative treatment for diseases of the eye, not to mention all the other possible benefits talked about here previously.

So, if I could just quote one of the pertinent paragraphs:

"Concerning the quality of light, short wavelength (blue) light is believed to be a major pathogenic factor in AMD. In contrast to this, infrared (IR) light was found to possess a regenerative potential in many situations of tissue repair."

Thanks again for this enlightening article. It could be I'm wrong and everyone thoroughly reads links provided, in which case I apologize for this entire post.

Lou

I'm skeptical but I hope you have great results to report!

The light was received two days ago, ahead of schedule. I've used it for last two nights and so far what I have to report concerns insomnia.

Slept more deeply and for the entire night both nights. Can't say I woke up noticeably more refreshed, but my days were better and hopefully there'll be a cumulative effect. The real test will be when I'm facing a more important event on the following day and get stressed out that I won't sleep well --that's almost always a self-fulfilling prediction/disaster.

I'm encouraged and think it understandable that such benefits as mitochondrial, redox, and cognitive function improvement will take time to see how things play out.

Asklipia

Lou,
Sorry I did not quote the article, I had no time. But you did it nicely!
Here is another one, which I find touches the Nitric Oxide problems we face :

Therapeutic Photobiomodulation: Nitric Oxide and a Novel Function of Mitochondrial Cytochrome C Oxidase

Robert O. Poyton & Kerri A. Ball
http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Ro...nction-of-mitochondrial-cytochrome-c-oxidase/
From the abstract : "Three recent findings provide important new insight. First, nitric oxide has been implicated. Second, cytochrome c oxidase, an enzyme known to reduce oxygen to water at the end of the mitochondrial respiratory chain, has been shown to have a new enzymatic activity -- the reduction of nitrite to nitric oxide. This nitrite reductase activity is elevated under hypoxic conditions but also occurs under normoxia. And third, low intensity light enhances nitric oxide synthesis by cytochrome c oxidase without altering its ability to reduce oxygen. From these findings, we propose that cytochrome c oxidase functions in photobiomodulation by producing nitric oxide, a signaling molecule which can then function in both intra- and extracellular signaling pathways. We also propose that the effectiveness of photobiomodulation is under the control of tissue oxygen and nitrite levels."

Apart from this, could you share when and for how long you used your red light? Maybe just before going to sleep for 25 mns, or did you do it differently?

I am not skeptical at all. In fact this fits with most of what I have found out up to now.
Lots of good wishes
Asklipia

Lou

Lou,
Sorry I did not quote the article, I had no time. But you did it nicely!
Here is another one, which I find touches the Nitric Oxide problems we face :

Therapeutic Photobiomodulation: Nitric Oxide and a Novel Function of Mitochondrial Cytochrome C Oxidase

Robert O. Poyton & Kerri A. Ball
http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Ro...nction-of-mitochondrial-cytochrome-c-oxidase/

Apart from this, could you share when and for how long you used your red light? Maybe just before going to sleep for 25 mns, or did you do it differently?

I am not skeptical at all. In fact this fits with most of what I have found out up to now.
Lots of good wishes
Asklipia

I used it just as you related, for 25 minutes just before bed (while in bed). It has a 25 minute timer that automatically shuts light off.

Asklipia

I ordered one on Saturday and it arrived today Monday.
I tried it on immediately (I sleep quite well these days so did not wait for bedtime.
I do feel an effect on blood viscosity (slight tingling over the hands, a sign of blood reaching a bit farther than usually at rest).
Also a slight improvement in vision while it was on (did not last though... but a good sign!).
How are you doing?
Be well!
Asklipia

I wonder how difficult it would be to make one of these devices ourselves. I remember reading instructions to make a laser helmet for a fraction of the cost of commercial devices.

Lou

I ordered one on Saturday and it arrived today Monday.
I tried it on immediately (I sleep quite well these days so did not wait for bedtime.
I do feel an effect on blood viscosity (slight tingling over the hands, a sing of blood reaching a bit farther than usually at rest).
Also a slight improvement in vision while it was on (did not last though... but a good sign!).
How are you doing?
Be well!
Asklipia

Nothing really to report yet, other than so far a good sleep aid. Please keep us informed with any progress you may make.