• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

suggestions for what folinic acid for shmt

Hi All,

I'm ready to address SHMT after addressing CBS and I'm confused about what folinic acid to use. Dr Amy recommends 5 formyl thf and actifolate specifically but actifolate has 5 formyl thf and 5 metra hydrofolate (I think I read something about a reformulation in another post). I'm having a hard time finding a supplement listed as 5 formyl thf. They just list as folinic acid in the ingredients. Is that what I want? Any recommendations of supplements and brand? Thanks

SHMT1 C1420T +/-, ACAT1-02 +/-, COMT V158M +/-, COMTH62H +/-, MTRR A66G +/-, MTHFR C677T +/-

CBS C669T +/+

greenshots

http://www.holisticheal.com/folinic-acid.html

Or you can use the SHMT spray which really helped me early on even tho I don't have SHMT. yasko also recommends it for people with AHCY due to gut problems. I diluted that down more easily and could tolerate it in little doses and went up over a month or two. I don't like heavy detox since it depresses me and makes me super apathetic or makes me anxious so I go slow.

http://www.holisticheal.com/folinic-acid.html

Or you can use the SHMT spray which really helped me early on even tho I don't have SHMT. yasko also recommends it for people with AHCY due to gut problems. I diluted that down more easily and could tolerate it in little doses and went up over a month or two. I don't like heavy detox since it depresses me and makes me super apathetic or makes me anxious so I go slow.

Thanks that was helpful. I ordered the SHMT spray.

LaurieL

There are two things about the SHMT spray, 1) 1200 mcg of hydroxycobalamin, and 2) it has milk products labeled, so those with dairy allergies may want to be aware. Considering other mutations, hydroxycobalamin may or may not be ones own choice either.

What I do find is the content of lactoferrin and rosemary interesting, as even before knowing these were recommended for this mutation, I found them helpful and have been in my own protocol for a very long time.

greenshots

Yeh, about that, the dairy component doesn't have casein, the part that almost everyone reacts to. If autistic kids with casein allergies can take this spray, its pretty unlikely adults will react to it. Now detox is another matter entirely. Some docs say to dilute it down by at least 50/50 with distilled water but really sensitiive detoxers should use a few drops in a whole bottle of water and go with that in the beginning. Its easier to adjust to. Also at least the way I've been advised to take it, you'll only get a quarter of the hydroxy b12 because I only take 2 sprays twice a day but started at really watered down doses so that shouldn't be a walloping dose when done slowly.

Rosemary is supposed to be good for absorption, it helps thing absorb better.