• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

anyone used bactroban nasal spray?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have used the bactroban ointment one puts in their nose but i dont think it did much, dont think it got into the right places.

But i found a place and ordered a bactroban nasal spray. Be interested to hear peoples experience if they have used it.:thumbsup:

heapsreal

just read about bactroban cream disolving easily in water, mmm so heaps compounding chemist made his own up with some saline. lets see how another experiment goes??

dsdmom

I use mupiricon (same thing I think). I tried putting it into my nostrils too but didn't have great results. My ENT now has me dissolving it in my irrigation. Easy enough to do and you don't need a chemist to do it for you.

You heat up your water as usual (I actually make it a bit hotter than normal because it dissolves the mupiricon quicker). Add salt packet as usual then you take the mupiricon and put about a 1.5 inch stripe on the straw part of your irrigator (I use this one btw: http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...=goobase_filler&device=c&network=g&matchtype= )
Then you assemble, shake and let it sit until it's dissolved & cooled enough to use. Shake again before use. Might take 10 minutes to dissolve.

heapsreal

I use mupiricon (same thing I think). I tried putting it into my nostrils too but didn't have great results. My ENT now has me dissolving it in my irrigation. Easy enough to do and you don't need a chemist to do it for you.

You heat up your water as usual (I actually make it a bit hotter than normal because it dissolves the mupiricon quicker). Add salt packet as usual then you take the mupiricon and put about a 1.5 inch stripe on the straw part of your irrigator (I use this one btw: http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...=goobase_filler&device=c&network=g&matchtype= )
Then you assemble, shake and let it sit until it's dissolved & cooled enough to use. Shake again before use. Might take 10 minutes to dissolve.

cool, thanks for that, basically did the same put used saline which is .9% salt. Guessed how much bactroban i put it. Thanks for confirming that your doc said it was ok to do this.

do u think it has help spraying it up there?

dsdmom

Yes it's def helped. The nice thing about this stuff is that bugs do not become resistant to it. If you are using it for maibtenance you could do it once a dqy for 6 weeks or so. The spray will probably work great but maybe just more expensive?

heapsreal

Yes it's def helped. The nice thing about this stuff is that bugs do not become resistant to it. If you are using it for maibtenance you could do it once a dqy for 6 weeks or so. The spray will probably work great but maybe just more expensive?
Thats good to know that there is no resistance. When I see my doc next I will another script for more bactroban cream. Have read that some sprays have a combo with gentamicin so wonder if it comes in a cream to make my own?

LaurieL

I'm sorry but all bacteria have the capability of resistence, esp. the pathogenic ones, the ones causing you the trouble in the first place, and causing you to put the medication there. Most bacterial infections of the nasal cavaties are gram negative, and correlate with what is also in your mouth and throat. Just like in your mouth, the ones in your throat and nose, are also capable of making biofilms. So all the medication in the world won't get at the real problem. Hence the chronic sinusitis. Have your doc get you an intra-nasal mucinase (dextranase is phenomenal) in addition to your med cocktail.

About those containing gentamicin. There are two purposes for adding gentamicin to a mix. One is the broad spectrum coverage of gram positives, as any broad spectrum gram negative med can then allow the gram positives to proliferate. And vice versa. The second is that it is a powerful toxin binder.

I dislike having to contradict someone, but this is something I am very familiar with. My very best to you all...

LaurieL

heapsreal

When I see my doc next I will be talking to him about gentamicin in a nasal spray with bactroban. I believe this combo is called beg by some compounding chemists that make a spray like this. In the past my doc has told me to limit bactroban use to 5 days. This was the ointment type thats placed in the nose.
Depending on how this trial goes, if I need to do it again hopefully will have gentamicin on board plus maybe 2 oral abx for a greater coverage of pathogens. Thats the plan I will talk with my doc about.

Cheers

dsdmom

I'm sorry but all bacteria have the capability of resistence, esp. the pathogenic ones, the ones causing you the trouble in the first place, and causing you to put the medication there. Most bacterial infections of the nasal cavaties are gram negative, and correlate with what is also in your mouth and throat. Just like in your mouth, the ones in your throat and nose, are also capable of making biofilms. So all the medication in the world won't get at the real problem. Hence the chronic sinusitis. Have your doc get you an intra-nasal mucinase (dextranase is phenomenal) in addition to your med cocktail.

About those containing gentamicin. There are two purposes for adding gentamicin to a mix. One is the broad spectrum coverage of gram positives, as any broad spectrum gram negative med can then allow the gram positives to proliferate. And vice versa. The second is that it is a powerful toxin binder.

I dislike having to contradict someone, but this is something I am very familiar with. My very best to you all...

LaurieL
I'm just repeating what I've been told on numerous occasions by my ENT's office. It's not in some po-dunk town either. Sure they could be wrong, but I'm sure they are basing this on some data.

heapsreal

I'm just repeating what I've been told on numerous occasions by my ENT's office. It's not in some po-dunk town either. Sure they could be wrong, but I'm sure they are basing this on some data.
I looked it up and it did say it was very rare to have resistance to bactroban. A few studies i read also mentioned bactroban is effective against biofilms on its own. So thats all good to know.
I think with us cfsers its going to be rare for us to clear many infections completely so dsdmom its probably reasonable to use it like your ENT suggests. I suppose if a resistent bug does appear then your ENT can step up to a stronger antibiotic??

LaurieL

I looked it up and it did say it was very rare to have resistance to bactroban. A few studies i read also mentioned bactroban is effective against biofilms on its own. So thats all good to know.
I think with us cfsers its going to be rare for us to clear many infections completely so dsdmom its probablyI reasonable to use it like your ENT suggests. I suppose if a resistent bug does appear then your ENT can step up to a stronger antibiotic??

I had a most renowned ENT in the US, and a resistent bacteria they did find, but they failed to take it seriously enough. I had to go through some channels to get mine identified, and hence is where my faith in what doc's told me went to the toilet. What happened to me is that my "resistent" bug doesn't have another antibiotic. All out of options....so do be careful.

Po-donk doc's aren't in the mainstream, and there for experience less constraints in some situations. I didn't have one either, but I have thought perhaps my situation would be different if I had. Infections these days are serious issues, and not quite adequately addressed by our medical institutions, where ever they are.

Bactroban worked for a little while and then it stopped. Just like all the other antibiotics.

LaurieL

LaurieL

I also want to add, the bacteria found in your sinuses, throat, and mouth, will also be found in your gut. If your cultures come back negative, get a stool analysis. And then go back and culture again, with culture techniques to grow what is found in the gut. Bet you will get a match.

Again, my very best to you both.

LaurieL

Sorry dsdmom, I ran off without answering your question. Mucinase is a mucous buster. Dextranase is also a mucous/serious biofilm buster, and the hard to get at gram negatives that cause problems in the sinuses have less faculties to deal with dextranase than they do mucinase. Glucose oxidase and lyzozyme are some others.

You could also have a smidge of arginine to the rinse or spray to widget your macrophages and neutrophils to kill the bacteria. Most of the gram negatives have an arginase expression, in which changes these cells (macrophages and neutrophils) into less efficient forms, there by allowing the infection to spread and remain grounded.