• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dont wash off your vitamin D

golden

My naturopath first told me this.

Vitamin D can take upto 48 hours to be absorbed through the skin upon first exposure to sunshine...using soap and water on the skin can interfere with the chemical reaction says Dr. Mercola...

:) http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-actually-decrease-your-vitamin-d-levels.aspx

quote:" But first, I want to review something that’s even more surprising – the connection between exposure to sunshine, vitamin D3, and showering!
What Does Showering Have to Do With Your Vitamin D Levels?
First, it’s important to understand that vitamin D3 is an oil soluble steroid hormone. It’s formed when your skin is exposed to ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation from the sun (or a safe tanning bed). When UVB strikes the surface of your skin, your skin converts a cholesterol derivative in your skin into vitamin D3.
However, the vitamin D3 that is formed is on the surface of your skin does not immediately penetrate into your bloodstream. It actually needs to be absorbed from the surface of your skin into your bloodstream.
The critical question then is: how long does it take the vitamin D3 to penetrate your skin and reach your bloodstream?
If you’re thinking about an hour or two, like I did until recently, you’re wrong. Because new evidence shows it takes up to48 hours before you absorb the majority of the vitamin D that was generated by exposing your skin to the sun!
Therefore, if you shower with soap, you will simply wash away much of the vitamin D3 your skin generated, and decrease the benefits of your sun exposure. So to optimize your vitamin D level, you need to delay washing your body with soap for about two full days after sun exposure.
Now not many people are not going to bathe for two full days.
However you really only need to use soap underneath your arms and your groin area. , so this is not a major hygiene issue. You’ll just want to avoid soaping up the larger areas of your body that were exposed to the sun.
Research Yet to Be Published
I realize that the bulk of the"conventional" thinking on how vitamin D is formed in the skin does notsupport what I am telling you. Most of this research is based on Dr.Michael Hollick's work. However that is over 25 years old and there isnew evidence that suggests the currently described on vitamin is formedis not accurate.
Dr. Cannell will actually be publishing a paper specifically detailing this position later this year. Rest assured as soon as the paper is published I will let you know about it. But in the meantime the logic behind this position is really quite solid.
As of this date no one has ever tested whether vitamin D is formed in human sebum, the fat that your skin produces. The only study that support that vitamin D3 is formed in the dermal epidermal junction was done in humans were the sebum was removed from the skin.
However, this has been extensively tested in animals and that is precisely where the vitamin D3 is formed. In fact that is where most of the oral vitamin D3 in supplements comes from, lanolin and the sebum like material in the skin of sheep and cows
Additionally you can rub vitamin D3 on your skin and it easily penetrates into your bloodstream (assuming you don't wash it off for 48 hours). This is also likely the reason why surfers in Hawaii who are in the sun and water continuously don't have vitamin D levels comparable to lifeguards that don't go in the water. The surfers typically have levels in the 70s while the lifeguards and other who are in the sun as much without going into the water will have vitamin D levels around 100.
The bottom line is that washing the sebum off of your skin is NOT good and should be avoided. You were NOT designed to use soap. It is fine to wash areas that are prone to bacterial overgrowth such as your axilla (armpits) and groin but it is in your best interest to leave the sebum that was designed to be on your skin, to stay on your skin.
Obviously you can do as you wish, but it is my STRONG recommendation to avoid soap on most of your skin."

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Interesting.... I suffer from horrendous night sweats so unfortunately I would think my Vit D will be sweated off every day:(

rosie26

It is interesting, I am wondering if I should supplement Vit d in winter, will have to check that one out. I am always my sickest in winter. Summer I do manage to get way plenty of sun and no need to supplement.

I think we do soap far too much. I know I should think more in the shower, as I find I am enjoying the warm water so much that I forget I am constantly reaching for the soap and probably wash myself about 10 times !!

golden

Interesting.... I suffer from horrendous night sweats so unfortunately I would think my Vit D will be sweated off every day:(

from memory water and sweat will not wash off vit d....soap is the culprit :)

i have been looking for confirmation article but cant find it yet...

the skin does find its own sweet balance after a while without soap .....

:)

golden

It is interesting, I am wondering if I should supplement Vit d in winter, will have to check that one out. I am always my sickest in winter. Summer I do manage to get way plenty of sun and no need to supplement.

I think we do soap far too much. I know I should think more in the shower, as I find I am enjoying the warm water so much that I forget I am constantly reaching for the soap and probably wash myself about 10 times !!

I have difficulty with most supps including vit d :( i benefit greatly from sun though...(when not really ill) i have been wondering again about this issue and winter recently. ideally i would buy a vitamin d maker sunbed but alas they cost 2,500 - ! ha no chance :)

rosie26

ha ha yes I think the sunbed would be out of the question for me too. Pity we all don't live real close by we could split the cost between 25 of us !!!! :)

golden

ha ha yes I think the sunbed would be out of the question for me too. Pity we all don't live real close by we could split the cost between 25 of us !!!! :)

lol :) like the t.v. sets when they first came out ...one per street and people would crowd around the window outside to watch it :)

rosie26

lol I remember those days too, they were priceless memories. I remember watching big eyed when we went to someones place and they had bought a coloured tv . ha ha love it ! :)

SOC

Since the sun (and sunbeds) give me a rash, I think I'll stick to my sublingual liquid vitamin D, thanks. :D

It would be lovely to go out in the sun, though..... sigh.

rosie26

SOC

Is there nothing that can help SOC ?
Have you got some nice big trees to sit under in the summer, I often take a book out and sit under the tree as my place gets quite hot inside in the afternoon/evening in summer. I take 2 chairs out, one for me and one for my feet. I even take my two budgies out with me, that's a big job as their cage is quite big. I'm sure my neighbors get a giggle out it !! but at least budgies and I are nice and cool. :)xx

SOC

SOC

Is there nothing that can help SOC ?
Have you got some nice big trees to sit under in the summer, I often take a book out and sit under the tree as my place gets quite hot inside in the afternoon/evening in summer. I take 2 chairs out, one for me and one for my feet. I even take my two budgies out with me, that's a big job as their cage is quite big. I'm sure my neighbors get a giggle out it !! but at least budgies and I are nice and cool. :)xx

Oh yes, I get out in the shade. I have a large free-standing umbrella/shelter I can sit under. I also go outside covered from head to wrists to toes. I just can't have sun on my skin. Well, I can if I don't mind being speckley and pink for months afterwards. :rolleyes:

I'll bet the budgies love getting out in the fresh air. :thumbsup:

rosie26

SOC

yes the budgies love it and it's really amusing when the big international airplanes fly over, they look at them as if they are the biggest scariest bird they have ever seen !! So funny :)