• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is this a herx or negative reaction to Colostrum?

BFG

Hey guys,

I have been trying to get a hold on my constant stomach cramps, bloating, diarrhea, and increasing food senitivities. I tried NAG and zinc carnosine which helped somewhat. Then a couple days ago I bought some bovine colostrum. I took a third of the recommended dosage and so far it has stopped my diarrhea and abdominal cramping. I tried taking the full dosage one day and experinced a runny nose and frequent sneezing and ill feeling.

But now I am starting to feel some other symptoms popping up that I havn't had in a while, which are:

a different type of headache
numbness in my arms and legs hands and feet
nerve pain in my back
( when I took my normal hot shower my hands and feet felt burned afterward)
prickly feeling on skin

My brother who does not have cfs is also trying it and experienced nerve related symptoms too.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause the colostrum to give us these symptoms?

Do you think this is a herx? but I don't know if herxs include peripheral neropathy symptoms.

Could the colostrum have signaled my immune system to attack virus in my nerve cells?

Lotus97

I don't know what's going on with you or your brother, but immune system supplements can sometimes cause various symptoms for people here. It is strange that your brother experiences those symptoms since he doesn't have CFS/ME.

BFG

I am still taking it for about a week now at 1/4 the recommended dose and some of the symptoms have started to decrease, but for my brother, who was taking the recommended dose, it has caused a flare up in his seborrheic dermatitis pretty badly. He hasn't had the sebb. dermatitis for about 3 years now. It was also making his hands and arms burn like a sunburn feeling, which I also experienced in the beginning, so he is going to stop the colostrum supplementation. But I think I will try it to see if it improves my me/cfs.

Ema

That's really odd! I've taken colostrum/lactoferrin/PRP for over a year now at various doses and not had any issues at all.

This may be a silly question, but it's a reputable brand, right?

Ema

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I'm told a herx should be only flu-like symptoms and any other related symptom is a side effect or adverse reaction.

BFG

That's really odd! I've taken colostrum/lactoferrin/PRP for over a year now at various doses and not had any issues at all.

This may be a silly question, but it's a reputable brand, right?

Ema
Hmm... what sort of benefits have you seen from taking colostrum for over a year now?? This better be a reputable brand, i paid over 50 bucks for it lol. The brand I purchased was called immune tree 6hr colostrum.
I'm told a herx should be only flu-like symptoms and any other related symptom is a side effect or adverse reaction.

I really hoped that the colostrum would help with the digestive issues I've been having, but I rather not take the chance to find out in the long run with these sort of reactions.