• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

which is the best methylation panel test ??

joshi81

Hi i'm a guy from Italy and with an association we are trying to organize a lab with all the test useful for CFS/FIBRO (our italian lab would be "in service" with other out of italy)... i was looking into methylathion so i would like to ask you...wich are the best methylation panel test to run?
And what lab does it?
Thank you

Valentijn

Hi i'm a guy from Italy and with an association we are trying to organize a lab with all the test useful for CFS/FIBRO (our italian lab would be "in service" with other out of italy)... i was looking into methylathion so i would like to ask you...wich are the best methylation panel test to run?
And what lab does it?
Thank you
European Laboratory of Nutrients in the Netherlands offers it. It includes "glutathione (oxidized), glutathione (reduced), S-adenosyl-methionine (RBC), S-adenosylhomocysteine (RBC), tetrahydrofolate (THF), 5-methyl-THF, 10-formyl-THF, 5-formyl-THF, folic acid, folinic acid, folic acid (RBC), adenosine" for 300 euros.

Their website is at http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/ and you can get the English version (or Dutch or Spanish) in the box in the upper right corner. The order form and price list are in the lower left area. A doctor or some sort of therapist has to order them. They do a lot of international business, so they know how to handle international shipping for blood samples, etc.

joshi81

Thanks, i went on their website but i couldn't find the test.... can you tell the name of the test or can you check? because among the test they run i didn't see it

Valentijn

Thanks, i went on their website but i couldn't find the test.... can you tell the name of the test or can you check? because among the test they run i didn't see it
It's on the order form and price form on the left side of the home page. "Methylation Panel" is in the "Panels" section near the top of the order form, at the top of the right column. The list of what is tested is about one-third of the way down the 2nd page of the order form.

nkm

Ive attached my results from the methylation panel. It was an eye opener for me because working with just the methylation genetics testing is like working with your eyes closed!!

Attachments

• MPP.jpg
    MPP.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 75

joshi81

Thank you nkm i'm starting to watch in the methylation thing and at first i was trying to understand which were the best tests available , so there is this functional test from european laboratory, and there is also a genetic test for methylation right? can you post me a link where they do the genetic one? and in your opinion is more usefull the functional one or the genetic? and who then gave you the right supplements to correct you methylation defects? thanks (and sorry for my english)

joshi81

For example i see under many profile of yours these genes polimorfism " COMT (V158M) +/-, COMT (H62H) +/-, VDR Taq +/+. VDR Fok +/-, MAO A +/+, MTHFR C677T +/-, MTR +/-, MTRR (A66G) +/-, BHMT-2 +/-, BHMT-4 +/-, CBS (A360A) "
etc etc where do you run this genetic test? and how much is it?

Valentijn

For example i see under many profile of yours these genes polimorfism "COMT (V158M) +/-, COMT (H62H) +/-, VDR Taq +/+. VDR Fok +/-, MAO A +/+, MTHFR C677T +/-, MTR +/-, MTRR (A66G) +/-, BHMT-2 +/-, BHMT-4 +/-, CBS (A360A) "
etc etc where do you run this genetic test? and how much is it?
You can get your genes genotyped from 23andMe.com , then you can use various programs that pull out certain results that are (hopefully) relevant. It costs $99 to get about 900,000 SNPs reported.

caledonia

I took that methylation panel, and it was shocking how bad my results were (a good thing). This is the first functional test that truly showed how screwed up I am. However, I haven't found it that useful for treatment so far. I may run it again so I can recheck how my methylation cycle is doing after being on treatment for awhile. So in that respect, it can be good for a "before" and "after" picture.

If you can afford it, I found the Nutreval test to be better in terms of suggesting what things you're deficient in and what areas to address. It also has markers in it that suggest a methylation cycle block similar to the European Laboratory/HDRI Methylation Panel mentioned above. But it also covers nutrient deficiencies, heavy metals, gut issues, etc. The Nutreval Interpretation Guide based on Rich's interpretations is much more useful than the interpretations that come with the test.

I have many links in my signature regarding methylation that you may find interesting and useful.

ps. if you do get the European Labs methylation panel, use Rich's interpretation to figure out what it means. European Labs and HDRI methylation panel are the same thing.

nkm

Thank you nkm i'm starting to watch in the methylation thing and at first i was trying to understand which were the best tests available , so there is this functional test from european laboratory, and there is also a genetic test for methylation right? can you post me a link where they do the genetic one? and in your opinion is more usefull the functional one or the genetic? and who then gave you the right supplements to correct you methylation defects? thanks (and sorry for my english)

23andme.com will run a comprehensive genetics test and you can use geneticgenie.com to extract the methylation panel data from the 23andme data file. It's very simple to do but at the end of the day, I always believe that genetics are just a possibility and a couple of my friends who have bad SNP's in methylation pathways but are in very good health. The best way to get objective data on the methylation cycle/glutathione/folate cycle, is to run the methylation panel via ELN.

Whether the treatment actually works for the individual is another story but I was never comfortable basing decisions on just the methylation genetics.

joshi81

Thanks you have been so useful... i have to start study... i think methylation is just a part of the puzzle but i have to start to look in all the parts i can and try to fix them if i want to have the possibility to get somewhere. a big hug for the help :D and sorry for my english mistakes :p

joshi81

ps: but the test you linked me, the functional one and the genetic one (23andme) are the same that yasko suggests? or asko suggests other test for methylation? do u know? sorry for the many questions but i'm at the beginning of the "Methylation thing"

Valentijn

ps: but the test you linked me, the functional one and the genetic one (23andme) are the same that yasko suggests? or asko suggests other test for methylation? do u know? sorry for the many questions but i'm at the beginning of the "Methylation thing"
The Yasko test costs $495 and only tests 30 or so SNPs, most of which are irrelevant. 23andMe costs $99 and tests 900,000 SNPs.

joshi81

that's great ...the only thing is... i read that Yasko just give consultation to the tests performed at holisticheal ... so if i run this one from 23andme then will be a doctor who will help me to figure it out? how did u do? (and really thank u for answering me)

Valentijn

that's great ...the only thing is... i read that Yasko just give consultation to the tests performed at holisticheal ... so if i run this one from 23andme then will be a doctor who will help me to figure it out? how did u do? (and really thank u for answering me)
Yasko isn't a medical doctor and might have trouble giving medical consultations :p Her interpretations are also largely baseless - there is no research anywhere showing that the conclusions she draws are accurate, and some research actually contradicts what she says.