• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lithium Testing and Supplements?

A.B.

Lithium reduces thyroid function. I'd advise anyone with chronic fatigue to avoid it.

A.B.

All forms of lithium?
Yes.

I've tried low dose lithium orotate for the same motivation as yours (very low lithium on hair test) and immediately felt more tired and less able to get stuff done.

It was only later that I discovered the probably cause for this.

vgorilla

Trust my doctor?
Low lithium can be energizing, but not necessarily in a good way because it can lead to bipolar disorder, which can escalate if not treated.

A.B.

Low lithium can be energizing, but not necessarily in a good way because it can lead to bipolar disorder, which can escalate if not treated.

I suspect this is something psychiatrists tell bipolar patients to get them to comply with lithium treatment.

The point of lithium in bipolar disorder is to reduce thyroid function so that patient doesn't get manic and starts doing stupid things. There are links between bipolar disorder and thyroid disease, which can manifest as mania.

By the way, low hair lithium doesn't necessarily indicate a deficiency.

vgorilla

Trust my doctor?
I can report now that after taking 10mg of elemental lithium in the form of lithium orotate for a few weeks, I feel much better. This is about 5-10% of a clinical dose.

vgorilla

Trust my doctor?
It seemed to relieve what I think felt like adrenal fatigue. After about 3pm I would not be able to focus and just felt really icky and anxious. The lithium fixed that. I more focused, relaxed, and get more done. Really hard to explain.

tyson oberle

It seemed to relieve what I think felt like adrenal fatigue. After about 3pm I would not be able to focus and just felt really icky and anxious. The lithium fixed that. I more focused, relaxed, and get more done. Really hard to explain.
Are you still feeling better with the low dose lithium? And what about lithium blood testing or other type of testing if any have you done or have you figured out what tests would be good to do? My instincts tell me that I wouldn't trust a hair test, but I could be wrong. Also what made you decide to take lithium, was it only because of the hair test?

vgorilla

Trust my doctor?
Within a couple of days of starting on 10mg lithium orortate, I felt much better, but I think that was too much for me after a few weeks I was feeling low energy. I'm going down to 5mg and see how it goes. It has a long half-life and stays in blood for a few days. I considered a blood test, but not sure if it only tests for the rx type of lithium. As these dosages, not much chance of overdosing considering the hair test had me at the very bottom of the scale.

The hair test isn't exact but it can be informative. It can be hard to say if an element is low because you body needs it or is holding on to too much of it. Here are some resources:

http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/hairtest/
http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/HOW_TO_hair_test.html
http://www.noamalgam.com/hairtestbook.html