• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Slowing down methlyation supps = no more brain function

chilove

Wow!

A while ago some of y'all suggested that my horrible histamine reactions might be due to too much methylation going on but when I cut way back on my methylation supps OMG, I coulldn't think at all!! It was amazing what a huge difference it was. I was always loosing and dropping things and couldn't remember anything.

I do think that cutting back reduced the histamine reactions a little, but not enough to give up cognitive function.

Whatever the histamine issue is, I have to find a solution that will let me stay on my methylation supps.

PennyIA

Having just recently found enormous relief with methylation treatment, I can't imagine how hard it is to go off of them.

Is it feasible that it might have been a specific supplement (and ergo, maybe additive) that might have been causing the effect? I'd wonder if you could start substituting with different version from different manufacturers (and hopefully different fillers and binders) that might make a bigger difference?

Lotus97

Maybe there's some middle road where you can take a moderate dose that won't be too high or too low. Someone said they experienced cognitive benefits from high doses of methylcobalamin so maybe you can increase your B12, but take a lower dose of methylfolate as methylfolate is going to increase methylation more than B12. Also, have you tried supplements like ginkgo, vinpocetine, acetyl l carnitine, or lecithin? Those are all supposed to improve cognitive function.

Having just recently found enormous relief with methylation treatment, I can't imagine how hard it is to go off of them.

Is it feasible that it might have been a specific supplement (and ergo, maybe additive) that might have been causing the effect? I'd wonder if you could start substituting with different version from different manufacturers (and hopefully different fillers and binders) that might make a bigger difference?

I've had some success with ginseng. Either 50 or 100 mgs/day depending on how I'm doing. The first week I used it were great--less effect after that. Wah.