• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My 23andme Results, What To Make Out of Them?

I am new to the DNA testing and genealogy stuff so can someone help me understand my overall results better? i have absolutely no idea about my ancestry other then my dad being half Irish, and my moms fathers side of the family is mostly dark complected (not to dark) and my mom has some polish. here are my results:

MtDNA:

Capture10.png

Paternal DNA:

Capture14.png

Map View(Standard):

Capture1.png

Map View(Speculative)

Capture.png

Global Similarity:

Capture5.png

Capture8.png

When I Click On Myself

Capture7.png

McDonald Results:

David_Boyd_Full_20130618164934BGA1.png

David4750
This is a forum for ME/CFS patients - the results discussed here are in relation to medical problems, not the genealogical aspects :ill:

So it's unlikely anyone here knows about that stuff.

Bluebell

David,

The 23andme website has a discussion forum there, and I expect there is a lot of discussion about the ancestry side of people's results.

While the Phoenix Rising forum isn't the place for that kind of discussion, you will find the information that you are looking for on 23andme, I'm pretty sure.

By the way, I finally just got part of my ancestry results - they still aren't done calculating the whole ancestry part for me (I wonder if everyone has to wait longer for their ancestry results than for their health results, or is that unusual!)

It's quite remarkable - magical really, to peer into the past like that and think about all those unknown souls/bodies, enduring heaven knows what sorts of privations and pains (as well as wonder and joy at times, of course).

By the way, I finally just got part of my ancestry results - they still aren't done calculating the whole ancestry part for me (I wonder if everyone has to wait longer for their ancestry results than for their health results, or is that unusual!)
Me too ... turns out I'm 3.3% Neanderthal :sluggish:

Bluebell

Me too ... turns out I'm 3.3% Neanderthal :sluggish:

No WAY!

I'm 3.1%! And that is the 98th percentile --

What percentile are you - the 99th?

They say the range in humans is from 1 to 4%.

Obviously, those Neanderthals had some excellent DNA. :hug:

====
Despite their
  • Heavy eyebrow ridge
  • Long, low, bigger skull
  • Prominent nose with developed nasal chambers for cold-air protection
====

Are you in the K haplogroup?

Bluebell

I'm in K. Obviously more evolved than H, seeing as how it's farther in the alphabet. :nerd:

It says that Meryl Streep, Katie Couric, and Stephen Colbert are distant relatives of mine who are also in the K group.

Does everyone get a little list of celebrities who are in their group? Does that mean that Stephen Colbert has done 23andme and has allowed them to use his name? (These are rhetorical questions; not seeking any answers.)

They finally finished my ancestry calculations today.