• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peripheral Neuropathy

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
If herpes viruses are commonly implicated in cfs/me, then these viruses love to hang around nerves and cause problems especially if reactivating etc etc

Autopsies of people with ME have shown that there is alot of lessions on the nerves consistant with shingles type infections.

Many of us get diagnosed with restless leg syndrome but i think mostly its a type of neuropathy and many of us get a similar type of pain in our backs and necks that sound alot like nerve pain.

Sorry about your new diagnoses neilk, maybe this could explain some other symptoms. I wonder if the tumor has something to do with ME, many wouldnt have had head scans, i wonder if it would be a relatively common finding in cfs/me. I hope things get better for you sooner.

cheers!!!

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
... I had mentioned that the Neurologist sent me for an MRI of the brain. The results showed a meningioma (benign tumor) that is pressing against my trigeminal nerve.
Nielk, I just saw your post. So sorry to hear about this new finding.

I'm sending you many :hug: HUGS :hug: and hope you're doing okay.

TCP36

I'm not giving up, despite the setbacks and BS!
Hi. Yes I have neuropathy. I had Glandular Fever in 1984 and developed Peripheral and Autonomic Neuropathy in 2007. I have extensive inflammation and damage from toes to throat and it's affected my internal organs, including heart and liver. Doctors blank me because I don't have diabetes and no one seems to know anything about it. All I have learnt has been off the internet and from Dr John Hayes who treats people with neuropathy. He has advised on tips and diet etc.

snowathlete

Nielk I just read this thread. Sorry to hear about the tumor. How is that situation now?

Regarding the main topic, Bartonella can cause this, and especially likes the legs and feet. Because Bartonella affects small vessel blood flow and they feed nerves it can cause issues. I don't have more info than that but I heard it on a recent online radio interview with two of the top Bart doctors

Nielk

Nielk I just read this thread. Sorry to hear about the tumor. How is that situation now?

Regarding the main topic, Bartonella can cause this, and especially likes the legs and feet. Because Bartonella affects small vessel blood flow and they feed nerves it can cause issues. I don't have more info than that but I heard it on a recent online radio interview with two of the top Bart doctors

I really think I should be checked for Bartenolla. It's next on my list.

As far as my tumor snowathlete, (thanks for asking) I had radiation treatment done six months ago. I will have to get an MRI done though again in six months to make sure that it was successful.

soxfan

I had Bartonella which caused the nerve pain and twitching in my calf and foot. Since I went undiagnosed for over 2 years even with treatment I have permanent damage. I will always have the pain and twitching to some degree. Some days not as bad as others....
It was my first symptom back in 2004 and the doctors had no clue what the problem was. I had all kinds of tests including EMG...etc. They gave me Neurontin and told me there was nothing else they could do..

Shell

Don't know if it's the heat, or what, but the PN at the ends of all my fingers is spreading, especially in my right hand down the front of my fingers to the the first knuckle.
Anyone got any ideas if this is stoppable?

I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet which started this year after an incidence of swelling. I didn't know it could be related to CFS. I take gabapentin for it and it works nicely. What could I be taking to repair the nerves, as the gabapentin makes me groggy?

Shell

My PN is slowly spreading. Don't know why. It was just the ends of my fingers but it's spreading downwards.
Great for getting the toast out for the kids, not so great for handling stick insects and silk worms.

Also does anyone have a weird grip? If I hold a cup with my hand over the rim kinda claw grip I frequently find I can't let go. Someone has to prize a finger off then the others will follow.

What treatments are available? I have had a neuropathy that has been constant for over two years now and would lover for it to go away.

I am going to ask my GP for Vitamin B 12 injection next time I see him as my diet is very poor maybe that will help.

physicsstudent13

I don't know if it's worth buying methyl b12 for nerve damage. I think I'm going to stop the methylfolate after I run out

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
My PN is slowly spreading. Don't know why. It was just the ends of my fingers but it's spreading downwards.
Great for getting the toast out for the kids, not so great for handling stick insects and silk worms.

Also does anyone have a weird grip? If I hold a cup with my hand over the rim kinda claw grip I frequently find I can't let go. Someone has to prize a finger off then the others will follow.[/quote

I have a problem with having to unscrew a jar or use a pair of pliers and when I'm through I have on occasion had to manually remove my fingers from the object. On the flip side of that if I don't hold a glass tight I'll drop it just out of the blue.

My cervical spine has narrowed down to 6mm due to bone spurs and thickened ligaments, which I've been told could be the start of it and that when it gets to 5 mm I will almost for sure will have to have surgery. The narrow area runs from C5 down to T1. My C7-T1 junction has a lot of inflammation in it and my C5-C6 facet joints are literally gone. If I have to sit in a chair for 3 to 4 hours my neck is on fire.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I had Bartonella which caused the nerve pain and twitching in my calf and foot. Since I went undiagnosed for over 2 years even with treatment I have permanent damage. I will always have the pain and twitching to some degree. Some days not as bad as others....
It was my first symptom back in 2004 and the doctors had no clue what the problem was. I had all kinds of tests including EMG...etc. They gave me Neurontin and told me there was nothing else they could do..

There is a new drug out for neuropathy and Fibro called Savella, but it cause anxiety in a lot of patients taking it. It is considered a SNRI, but it's affinity for norepinephrine is 30:1 over serotonin, whereas Cymbalta is only 3:1.

alex3619

I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet which started this year after an incidence of swelling. I didn't know it could be related to CFS. I take gabapentin for it and it works nicely. What could I be taking to repair the nerves, as the gabapentin makes me groggy?

Swelling and PN go together, as the nerves involved in PN often help regulate blood flow.

alex3619

Also does anyone have a weird grip? If I hold a cup with my hand over the rim kinda claw grip I frequently find I can't let go. Someone has to prize a finger off then the others will follow.

For the last several years one hand very occasionally lockup in a tetanus like response, and will not release without manual force. I have considered it might be an early stage of rheumatoid arthritis, but I am very unsure about that.

physicsstudent13

is EDTA going to help peripheral nerves? I started 1 teaspoon a day from pure bulk powder and am concerned it may damage the kidneys

I suppose it is possible. My mom has CIDP and peripheral neuropathy. I'm going to see my dr because I have a large number of symptoms that are suspicious of CFS. I don't have neuropathy, but from what I've been reading, both are often linked to autoimmune issues, which both my mom and I have.

It is really important to find out from your doctor what tests they can do to discover the cause of your neuropathy. There's some treatments they can do to help slow nerve death, but some conditions that cause it are treatable and some are not. I suppose it's better to treat the cause than the symptom first if you can. My mom does IV/IG treatments since her condition is noncurable. It's helped her maintain the ability to walk while a friend of ours who also has the same condition needs a wheelchair or walker because he did not get treated. Her condition has somewhat progressed and she experiences extreme sciatica. She is now on a Fentanyl patch. Again, her condition isn't curable, and she was persistent in finding out the cause so she could get properly treated. It can be a secondary issue caused by a lot of things, so if you're experiencing difficulty, keep looking for the answer.