• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Genetic Genie results (23andme)

If I have never noticed a stress/anxiety response to methylcobalamin, should be in the clear for CBS?
I used to take 5mg sublingual everyday without any reactions.

caledonia

caledonia

They sell them on amazon.

Caledonia, if you do butyrate, couldn't that theoretically cut moly? Or is the moly so you don't have to restrict your diet so severely to help CBS?

I haven't heard about butyrate, other than what you've mentioned. All is know is, moly is required to support SUOX, which detoxifies both ammonia and sulfur. If you're low on moly, then the ammonia and sulfur build up and cause problems. The diet is used so you're not adding more to the stores of ammonia and sulfur already piled up.

Once CBS is working, you can resume eating normal foods, because now you'll be able to clear the ammonia and sulfur. Note that I'm still taking some moly for maintenance. I wouldn't want things to pile up again after all my efforts.

Edited to add: I'm also still taking boron and Vit E succinate, which also support SUOX.

caledonia

If I have never noticed a stress/anxiety response to methylcobalamin, should be in the clear for CBS?
I used to take 5mg sublingual everyday without any reactions.

Maybe, but some sublinguals are better than others. Depending on which one you're using, you may not be getting any B12 out of it at all - in which case, you wouldn't get a CBS type reaction.

Use whatever Freddd is currently recommending to get the best, most absorbent one in pill form. I'm also having good luck with Douglas Labs Methylcobalamin Liquid applied sublingually.

Yasko also said something about CBS problems can crop up later, if they don't crop up at the beginning.

Do you have any metal exposure, like to lead or mercury? The metals can make CBS worse.

Do you have any metal exposure, like to lead or mercury? The metals can make CBS worse.

I have a metals urine challenge test here in front of me, so I'll find out soon.
The test says not to eat fish for a week. Wonder if that includes fish oil.
It uses DMSO which I guess is a form of sulphur?

caledonia

They sell them on amazon.

Caledonia, if you do butyrate, couldn't that theoretically cut moly? Or is the moly so you don't have to restrict your diet so severely to help CBS?

PathogenKiller - I just found an answer to this. Butyrate detoxifies ammonia, so you can take it alone or in conjunction with yucca. You would want to add yucca especially if you're still eating meat. Source: Shawn Bean from MTHFRsupport Blogtalk Radio podcast.

I would still keep supporting SUOX with the moly et al. This is how it gets out of the body.

If you look at a diagram of the transsulfuration pathway, you notice that SUOX is at the very bottom. So you don't want things to bottleneck there.

Yes, I know about butyrate ;). I guess my point was that it will detox ammonia and if you eat a low sulfur diet I just didn't know if you needed the moly.

caledonia

Yes, I know about butyrate ;). I guess my point was that it will detox ammonia and if you eat a low sulfur diet I just didn't know if you needed the moly.

Yes, I would throw everything at possible at CBS, to get through it, so you can get onto the methylation supplements. Why mess around - it's already going to take months.

greenshots

Another question: what is the SAMe for? Which snp?
5-htp is no good here?

I agree with pathogenkiller but wanted to add that Yasko believes SAMe is needed for MTHFR A1298C as well. SAMe has over 400 functions that we know of and my doc thinks theres much more. Unless somebody is COMT ++ and VDR Taq -- most people really need SAMe

greenshots

I agree that the CBS is very important but don't overlook that on Yasko's panel, the MTRRs that you have are given as red even though their partially defective. These are big areas since methylation stems from this area and b 12 is made and recycled at these SNPs. Since you are COMT -- you may be one of the luckier ones and tolerate methyl b12. Either way, YOU need B12 bigtime! My sister is COMT -- and took much longer to detox then I did. Sometimes, a defect isn't so bad if you can clean stuff up faster.

I would like to know what order to treat things in.
Which ones need to be treated and which ones are not important?
Also, what do I need to do about sulphur?
It seems a number if these are sulphur issues, so how does that relate to things like NAC and glutathione?
Can I take glutathione or does that foul something up?

Also, can't seem to find any info on NAT r197Q so I have no idea what that is related to.
I am homozygous for that one so I would like to know.

greenshots

P5P isn't good right now cuz of the CBS, but maybe you could use low doses of 10mg
DMG shouldn't be used before TMG. You have to get the short route up and running with the BHMTs before you can fix the MTRR problem.

I'd say molyb sounds right and you need basic B vitamins and digestive enzymes to start. Then maybe a little hydroxy B 12 and vit c for free radicals. Then maybe some low dose SAMe to get rolling a little more. Unless your super type A and sympathetic dominant, niacin will just eat up more methyls so I'm not sure about even adding that one.
The goal is clean up not fixing the genes just yet. If you go after the genes first, you make more garbage. And when were sick, were already overflowing with garbage. This is the reason Yasko has so many foundation sups so there is a method to her madness although i don't think you need that whole list she gives. I think Caledonia may have some good input here. Remember that we dn't know who you are or what you've been thru or been exposed to so this changes things too. I would start low and go slow on some more benign stuff before your dumping in a bunch of methyls.

So I've got:

Molybendum
Sam-e
DMG
5 tertrahydrafolate
Methyl b12
P5p
Niacin

Should I start with the first three?

juniemarie

Greenshots Do you mean in an order...first moly,b complex,& digestive enzymes. Then after thats in place without any problems add hydroxy b12 & c. When those are in place add SAMe. Want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. I too am just starting to work on CBS. Right now I am just taking Yasko's Multi, just 2 a day, vit mk-4, charcoal and mag citrate 3x a week and just got the moly & manganese but have not started taking them. So I should add digestive enzymes and b complex now. What about the butyrate and/or yucca. Not sure at what point they come into play but I thought they were to be included right at the beginning. Just need a bit of clarification on these points please

I do have TMG as well...

So molybdenum first, then TMG?
I thought the b vits would come last, but you think I should take b12 now?
I don't have hydroxo. That is better for my type?

My general history is that I crashed a couple years back after impartial recovery from a stomach virus.
Since then I have had most of the CFS symptoms and was diagnosed with Lyme. I am looking for ways to make sure I can detox properly so I can go after the lyme.

So i see that hydroxocobalamin is the injectable prescription b-12.
Is this required or can people get by with sublingual methyl b-12?