• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andMe Results - 5 Reds - Any help would be appreciated

Hi, I was wondering if any of you experts on here could advise me on what's the best way to work towards normal with these SNPs... The SHMT and ACAT have me really confused and I was told that I shouldn't be taking any Methyl-B12 or Methyl-Folate yet as I'm not ready for it.

Also would methylation have anything to do with hair? I started losing a lot of my hair as a 12 year old, and it was just a really crushing feeling for 6-7 years till it finally tapered off into a fine hair. It wasn't MPB because it was a diffuse shedding... always been something I've wondered about and my Endo has no idea why that would happen.

Anyways thanks for the support and this entire community... it's great to see :)

5.jpg
6.jpg

Valentijn

Obliv
With pretty normal CBS and very dysfunctional BHMT, elevated homocysteine might be something to keep an eye out for. SHMT1 is also adding to the possible homocysteine problem. If actual levels haven't been tested, you really should consider getting that done - elevated homocysteine can have serious health implications.

MTRR means you might need some methylB12, but maybe not much. And COMT indicates too much methylB12 could be a bad thing.

Vitamin D might also be needed.

Thanks for the advice, here's what I got so far:

Yucca Root - For Ammonia
Jarrow's B-right - For general support in multiple areas
Trace Minerals (w/ Molybdenum) - For Sulfur
Probiotics - For SHMT problems
5000 IU Vitamin D3 - VDR Taq and general support

Most of these are just general health supplements, but I'll see how I feel after trying this combo... hopefully I can get to my doctor and get a NutrEval to fine tune things I am low on.

If you see anything I should try, please let me know... Thanks again

greenshots

You have so many of the big guns with the SHMT, ACAT, CBS, MTRR, and MTHFR that its hard to know how to start off the cuff. If you can find someone to guide you, it would help, especially since your nervous system wiring and toxic load really matter. Even though the MTRR are partial, Yasko's test lists them as red because they're so serious for methylation and B12. You might tolerate methyl b12 later on with your COMT status but if you have a big toxic load like I did, this stuff can put you over the edge. Yasko starts with the SHMT so the spray and some digestive enzymes would be a good start.

greenshots, sorry to hijack this thread, but wondered whether you'd have a look at my Yasko results, too?? They're in my signature or I started a thread about it recently. I never figured out how to post a screenshot of the actual color-coded results so the thread just summarizes them. I also found out I have H. Pylori & I'mtaking mastic gum & probiotics & moly, plus yucca & malic acid, but I'm paralyzed with the stress of all this. Thank you soooo much :)
JL

caledonia

Yes, start with SHMT. For ACAT, Yasko makes an all in one supplement for ACAT and BHMT, which would be appropriate to try because you have both. It sounds expensive, but by the time you add up all the supps you need for those, it starts to sound reasonable.

Those with SHMT and ACAT tend to have a lot of gut problems. The Nutreval will pick that up if you don't have any obvious symptoms. But anyway, gut health should also be worked on earlier in the process. Sometimes it's six of one or half dozen of the other whether to do the gut first or SHMT/ACAT first.

Bottom line - you have a fair amount of work to do before getting into the heart of methylation, so you'll have to be patient. But don't worry, it will pay off in the end.

I did a quick search on hair loss and methylation and did find some info that low folate levels can cause this. Also thyroid problems, which can be related to methylation too. But if you've seen an endo and he's puzzled, it may be the folate thing rather than a thyroid thing. In either case, methylation should help.

greenshots

greenshots, sorry to hijack this thread, but wondered whether you'd have a look at my Yasko results, too?? They're in my signature or I started a thread about it recently. I never figured out how to post a screenshot of the actual color-coded results so the thread just summarizes them. I also found out I have H. Pylori & I'mtaking mastic gum & probiotics & moly, plus yucca & malic acid, but I'm paralyzed with the stress of all this. Thank you soooo much :)
JL

See Caledonia's post above, it applies to you as well. I personally wouldn't do alott for HP until you have some other stuff going but if you do, Yasko's PeptoMycin works well but its expensive. It includes pretty much everything to kill HP though so if your gonna do it, you might as well do it right from the start. I waited until I was much stronger before killing off bigger bugs. The shmt is key to start with but you can't hit all of the gene specific stuff without having some basics on board or you'll go bonkers. Kids get aggressive or manic but we seem to get depressed and hopeless when we adults start things rolling too soon. You need your digestive enzymes, b vits, amino's, vit d, vit c and other antioxidants to do some clean up before you add things like SHMT spray from HHI. Your profile is tough with that SHMT, ACAT, full CBS, etc. if you can find a doc or get on a waiting list, its much better. Otherwise just do the best you can but research the links on our sign offs to get a better feel of this stuff. Caledonia is right that gut problems need to be treated and its an ongoing process.

As for me, it wasn't until I really had the basics on board and nervous system specific stuff. For ex, I am very flight or fight oriented so taking alotta stimulating sups on Yasko's list thru me into anxiety, insomnia, palpitations, and just plain more fight or flight. They are things like vit E, zinc, selenium, choline, b-12, calcium, and some b vits. But someone who is more rest and digest will need stimulating sups but much less or no calming sups like mag, pot, vit c, vit d, calcium, folate, and more. Its not that you can't have any if your one or the other but it sure makes a big difference when your careful with your wiring and genes.

Thank you so very much, Angela!! For starters, I'm "fight or flight", too, so perhaps that's why the Vit E & selenium I started taking a few weeks ago may have contributed to an increase in anxiety??? Wow, never knew those were considered "stimulating', this is going to be so much more complicated than I already thought... I have a UAA and toxic metals/EE in process, so that should clarify things, right??

I was thinking of trying a couple of things I've read about here and there for the gut issues: Trehalose, Intrinsa (by Peter D'Adamo) and some really awesome-sounding probiotics by Custom Probiotics. http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-11-strain.htm (I'll edit with a link.) My latest D level will get taken this week or next Mon., but I tend to be low, of course.

Since I have MAOA, do you think I should do the GABA stuff, BeCalm spray, Resveratrol Glutamate Balance Spray, etc. per Yasko?? I was surprised to see she makes that GABA issue one of the very 1st things to do, no matter what the genetic SNPS. I'm still reading, digesting & trying to make a methodical plan.

As for a doctor, I have one who at least knows about MTHFR, but how far beyond that I'm not sure yet. I haven't been impressed at all with his follow-ups or organization; for example, after seeing him initially, I decided not to have the celiac genotype test he wanted,nor the MTHFR by itself, but instead to spring for the Yasko panel. So I wrote him about that (he does use email w/patients) but when I had the other blood tests he'd ordered (iron panel, hormones, etc.) the celiac was mistakenly included. The insurance has denied everything as alternative and we're appealing, but I'll end up on the hook for at least $1000 and its his fault. So that really dented my faith in him. Plus, his office fees went up to $300-500...that would pay for a lot of supplements, right?? So you guys might be it for me:)

Thanks for any further thoughts, I am so grateful to you & everyone here who share their wisdom & time with us!!

Jeri L.

P.S. Yasko's HP supp is out of stock, & it contains milk, which I'm allergic to, unfortunately.

greenshots

The gaba is to balance glutaate which causes excitotoxicity and almost everyone with chronic dz needs it. When the products contain milk, they don't contain casein, the protein that most immune systems react to. So its very rarely a problem. My son was super sensitive to dairy and would go bezerko whenever we accidentally gave him something with it and even though you could make the case that this was his problem at first on PeptoMycin, it was really detox because he settled down within a couple weeks just fine.

Yes, start with SHMT.
Bottom line - you have a fair amount of work to do before getting into the heart of methylation, so you'll have to be patient. But don't worry, it will pay off in the end.

I did a quick search on hair loss and methylation and did find some info that low folate levels can cause this. Also thyroid problems, which can be related to methylation too. But if you've seen an endo and he's puzzled, it may be the folate thing rather than a thyroid thing. In either case, methylation should help.

thanks for the Insights greenshots and caledonia :thumbsup:
Thought the thread had died, but glad to see the new replies.

So I took the supplements listed and felt groggy and tired every day after taking them. Don't know if that was from the B-12 or the Methyl-Folate or from the Probiotic (85 billion cells a day really hurt my stomach also) but adding in Alpha-GPC and HuperzineA and Vinctopectine helped clear my head up, and I feel fine taking all of those now.

I have no idea if they are doing anything, but I assume I will know in a couple months if my hair starts growing back, or if I stop defying thermodynamics and lose weight on a 1300 calorie diet!:mad:

Some General Questions:

How do I "start with SHMT" other than taking probiotics? My heavy metal levels are low (Lead was low (I had just been to a gun range), Mercury - None detected, Arsenic - low)

H.Pylori Test - IgG came back positive (1.0 U/mL) But IgM and IgA were both Negative... does that mean it is not currently active?

If I don't feel groggy and tired taking the supplements anymore, should I keep taking them or would I be doing more damage and building up more toxins in the process?

Thanks again for all the help and ideas you have!

caledonia

Some General Questions: How do I "start with SHMT" other than taking probiotics?

Basically, what you need to do for each SNP is to research what Heartfixer and Yasko have to say about them and follow that. Both are linked in my signature, but the exact page you want for Yasko is Chapter 6 - http://www.dramyyasko.com/resources/autism-pathways-to-recovery/chapter-6/

So make sure the SNP is expressed first - Yasko gives a lot of info for that, both testing and signs and symptoms. Heartfixer is sort of a summarized version of Yasko, so that can be easier to deal with. I think he has a few of his own twists he's come up with too. So it's good to read both and figure out what's going to work for your situation and budget.

When picking out supps, what I do is go to Yasko's Holistic Heal site where she sells her supps, and look at the ingredients for each supp recommended. Then I go to iherb and try to find the exact equivalent to save money. For example, the moly that you're taking is not an exact equivalent. I don't know if that moly will work as well or not. In some cases, the Yasko supp will be the preferable one, or there will be no equivalent, so in that case, I use the Yasko supp.

Also, I wouldn't jump ahead and take CBS supps before addressing SHMT and ACAT.

So literally, focus on, research, and address each SNP one at a time in order. This also helps for keeping your sanity ;)