• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone taking PS or TMG?

I've been doing PS 100mg and TMG 1000mg per day in past few days. I took my TMG with dinner and my PS right before bed time but they were causing really bad nightmares and very restless sleep.

When do you think is the best time taking these 2 supplements? Has anyone tried them?

xjhuez

I take a small 300mg dose of TMG in the morning. I think taking a full dose was pushing me into overmethylation, as it sometimes made me feel anxious and jittery.

I take a small 300mg dose of TMG in the morning. I think taking a full dose was pushing me into overmethylation, as it sometimes made me feel anxious and jittery.

Do you take it with the meal or before a meal? We have very similar SNPs though! I'm also totally jammed at BHMT and also have both CBS genes so I'm trying to decrease my sulfates by opening up my BHMT route with TMG and PS.

xjhuez

I take TMG crystals dissolved in water about 30mins before breakfast. I've never tried PS.

I haven't gotten to working on sulfates yet. I should buy some test strips, I suppose.

Yes, you would need test strips for measuring sulfate levels. I have Quantofix sulfate strips, I ordered them from CTL scientific but also Amazon has them. You get 100 strips.

L'engle

moogle
I stopped taking TMG yesterday and felt better. I was in injsatiable hypokalemia the last few weeks and while I don't the TMG caused it I think it had to be taken out to return things to normal.

Lotus97

I stopped taking TMG yesterday and felt better. I was in injsatiable hypokalemia the last few weeks and while I don't the TMG caused it I think it had to be taken out to return things to normal.

With the amount of methylcobalamin you're taking (15+ mg if I remember correctly), you probably have plenty of methyl groups and SAMe already. Adding TMG is probably just overkill.

L'engle

moogle
With the amount of methylcobalamin you're taking (15+ mg if I remember correctly), you probably have plenty of methyl groups and SAMe already. Adding TMG is probably just overkill.

Yeah I've had to ramp it way down, at lest for the enzymatic therapy. I take 5mg of that now alternating with 45mg AOR. The AOr doesn't cause overdrive/extreme hypokalemia. I think the the enzymatic therapy is a different thing altogether and the mg to mg ratio between it and other brands is not remotely comparable.

Lotus97

Yeah I've had to ramp it way down, at lest for the enzymatic therapy. I take 5mg of that now alternating with 45mg AOR. The AOr doesn't cause overdrive/extreme hypokalemia. I think the the enzymatic therapy is a different thing altogether and the mg to mg ratio between it and other brands is not remotely comparable.

Am reading it right that you consider 5 mg Enzymatic Therapy equivalent to 45 mg of AOR? I know Enzymatic Therapy is supposed to be one of the best, but still...I'm in the process of comparing brands of methylcobalamin so I'm curious. I assumed AOR was at least decent compared to the other brands. Have you tried Solgar or Bluebonnet by any chance?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Make sure your ps doesnt have any or too much phosphatidyl choline as this can be stimulating. Some brands contain this and others contain alot. I buy bulk powders and cap ps myself. Label doesnt sat it contains any choline.

Lotus97

dbkita said when the BHMT gets stimulated, a greater amount of dopamine is converted into norepinephrine. Phosphatidylserine (and Seriphos which is a more potent form of PS), choline, phosphatidylcholine, TMG, and betaine hcl (same as TMG) all stimulate the BHMT pathway.

Methylation can also increase catecholamines (dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine).

Also, increasing acetylcholine (either with choline or phosphatidyl choline) can cause anxiety. There's more info about acetylcholine in this thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...acetylcholine-toxicity-the-cause-of-cfs.9757/

L'engle

moogle
Lotus, The brands of b12 seem to be just different without a linear relation between them. AOR is a decent brand but it's not the same as enzymatic therapy. It doesn't seem to cause the runaway low potassium problem. It's probably about on par with solgar which I tried two years afo, but it's available in stores here. I haven't tried bluebonnet.

Lotus97

Lotus, The brands of b12 seem to be just different without a linear relation between them. AOR is a decent brand but it's not the same as enzymatic therapy. It doesn't seem to cause the runaway low potassium problem. It's probably about on par with solgar which I tried two years afo, but it's available in stores here. I haven't tried bluebonnet.

Ok, thanks. So why do you take two separate brands then if Enzymatic Therapy is so much better? I'm switching to methylcobalamin and trying to figure out what to do. I tried Swanson vs. Enzymatic taking 5 times as much Swanson. I felt sort of sickish the days I took 5 mg and 7.5 mg of Swanson, but not when I took 1 mg or 1.5 mg of Enzymatic. I don't know if the bad feeling was from overmethylation or just a side effect of that brand. I remember Lou saying something about Webber giving him a headache, but not doing much else besides that. Solgar is on my list of brands to try too. I'm considering Webber although I've heard from 3 different people who said it did nothing. Someone told me Source Naturals was good, but they're sensitive so I'm not sure how accurate their experience is.

L'engle

moogle
Ok, thanks. So why do you take two separate brands then if Enzymatic Therapy is so much better? I'm switching to methylcobalamin and trying to figure out what to do. I tried Swanson vs. Enzymatic taking 5 times as much Swanson. I felt sort of sickish the days I took 5 mg and 7.5 mg of Swanson, but not when I took 1 mg or 1.5 mg of Enzymatic. I don't know if the bad feeling was from overmethylation or just a side effect of that brand. I remember Lou saying something about Webber giving him a headache, but not doing much else besides that. Solgar is on my list of brands to try too. I'm considering Webber although I've heard from 3 different people who said it did nothing. Someone told me Source Naturals was good, but they're sensitive so I'm not sure how accurate their experience is.

I think you might want to start on small amounts of any brand and then find out what you can tolerate of each. I take more than one brand because several of us found that using just one brand day after day led to decreased effectiveness of the brand. This happened to me with AOR, otherwise the effectiveness of the brand just decreased, as people are saying happened with jarrow.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I have 3 BHMT +/+ too, but I'm also COMT +/+ so I'm not sure what to do.
Me too. I also have 3 BHMT and COMT +/+ and COMT +/-. I take 2g TMG in divided doses with meals. The only things I do not take with meals are my hormone pills and antioxidants. Everything else could potentially hurt my stomach so I only take with food. I try to take my hormones and antioxidants when I first get up on an empty stomach, then the bulk of my pills at breakfast, then the few I take in divided dose I take later at lunch or dinner.

I don't take PS because it didn't seem to do anything for me. However I read this in Iron Man Magazine Feb 2013 about PS:

Researchers state that Ps can be used as a natural substitute for anabolic steroids.

The article says that cortisol is a muscle-melting hormone that floods your blood stream when you're stressd, such as when working out. This is why so many body builders who want to bulk up resort to steroids as tey partially block cortisol. Steroids bind with glucocorticoid cell receptors, those that interact with cortisol, and that tilts the balance away from muscle melting. [Hmm. Coffee = liquid cortisol. Also, DHEA is a steroid].

Studies show that PS taken orally can decrease cortisol 30%. There is even a book: Phosphatidylserine: Promise for Athletic Performance, by Edmund Burke PhD and Thomas Fahey Ed., D. They say that PS depressed cortisol production, while anabolic steroids block the action of cortisol by cross-linking with the cortico-steroid receptor site.

PS is entirely natural. It is a soy lipid often given to seniors to prevent muscle and brain degeneration.

As a result of PS lowering cortisol:

Lower cortisol levels have been shown to produce an increase in free testosterone and the more free t, the easier to build muscle. [More free t most likely means less DHT fyi]

PS has been shown to improve mental sharpness and focus.

Less cortisol reduces carb cravings and helps you drop fat. [This resonates...I have long learned that coffee increases carb cravings for me]

It makes me want to try PS again. The article does not discuss dose. The article is actually an ad for PS and the dose is presumably what they put in their supplement...