• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain Fog

I have been on Fred's protocol for a while now. I am taking-

1 x l-carintine fumerate
1 x Same
1 x TMG
2 x metafolin
1 x B-complex
3 x omega 3
3 x vitamin c
2 x Zinc
1 x Calcium/Magnesium
1 x vitamin A
1 x vitamin D
1 x vitamin E
1 x alpha lipotic acid
1 x anabol naturals dibencoplex
1 x potassium
5 x enzymatic therapy b12 sublingually

Although I am feeling better I still suffer terribly with brain fog. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on other things I could try that could help. It's the number one thing I would love to fix. I can't remember the last time I was able to think clearly.

Star-Anise

I found a significant difference between l-carintine and acetyl-l-carnitine. I used this product:
http://www.nowfoods.com/Sports/Products/Amino-Acids/Acetyl-L-Carnitine-500mg-100-Veg-Capsules.htm
If the dose between the two forms are not comparable, I would open the capsule & split, because I found the acetyl form to have quite a bit more oomph to it.
As well, brain fog could be connected to so many things. I'm a big fan of using charcoal as per CBS protocol from Yasko, which assisted me greatly as well. It would hard to be more specific regarding supplements without more information regarding your snps. For example, Tyrosine and phenylalanine were instrumental in helping me take a step out of the fog too. But, this is related to dopamine production, so I would be curious about neurotransmitter function for you in general before making recommendation. Lastly what comes to mind is brain fog could be related to poor gut function too...
All the best
S:)

Other than brain fog my symptoms include headaches, general muscle tiredness/weaknes, ibs, interstitial cystitis, pain/tremor in both hands and ulcer like symptoms in my stomach for which I sometimes take omeprazole.

Thank you for the acetyl-l-carnitine suggestion. I will also look into this.

Choline supplements are very good for brain fog. I'd recommend cdp choline or alpha gpc,because they are less likely to lower dopamine than other choline supps.

(I've had absolutely constant brain fog for a couple years now)

Hip

Choline supplements are very good for brain fog. I'd recommend cdp choline or alpha gpc,because they are less likely to lower dopamine than other choline supps.

These choline supplements work well with piracetam, which also works on the cholinergic system. It is generally recommended to take piracetam and choline supplements together.

Star-Anise

Other than brain fog my symptoms include headaches, general muscle tiredness/weaknes, ibs, interstitial cystitis, pain/tremor in both hands and ulcer like symptoms in my stomach for which I sometimes take omeprazole.
This is what comes to mind when you list your symptoms:
general muscle tiredness/weakness:
have you considered magnesium supplements? You will need to be careful as this may aggravate some of your IBS symtoms. My suggestion would be to go reeeeal slow to build bowel tolerance.
I would explore these two products:
a) http://www.aor.ca/products-page/classic/magnesium-malate-renew-4/
b) http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/mag-glycinate
I like the mag glycinate product because it is a tablet form and really easy to half or quarter, which is useful when you are starting out. The Malate product, however, many people find useful to address the fatigue element of the muscle weakness as it will tie into the Kreb's Cycle from my understanding.
ibs, interstitial cystitis, pain/tremor in both hands and ulcer like symptoms in my stomach for which I sometimes take omeprazole.
These all sound like symptoms that could be related to an inflammatory process that is occurring. Since you are feeling better on Fredd's protocol, this is suggestive that some of the inflammation could be related to chronic undermethylation. However, you may want to consider using products like Curcumin to help calm some of the inflammation down. As well, gut function can be playing a key role in systemic inflammation. The IBS symptoms point this way clearly to me. Have you considered doing a baseline yeast cleanse? I have only had success using this following product:
http://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1654
instead of the usual caprylic acid and/or oregano oil taken orally. I would take this in combination with bentonite and a fibre agent to help move things through, along with my favorite probiotic:
http://www.natren.com
I use the dairy-free Biffido powder.
When I did my first yeast cleanse in this manner, the results were amazing. Probably a good 25% reduction in brain fog.
You may have to calm some of the inflammation down via products like Curcumin prior to doing cleanse, as it just might be too agitating for your system otherwise.
All the best,
Star :)

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
What is the 'cdp' in cdp choline and the 'gpc' in alpha gpc?

Thank you Star for all your suggestions. I will definitely look into doing the cleanse. At this point I'll try anything to get rid of this brain fog. It is so debilitating and doctors are useless.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I have been on Fred's protocol for a while now. I am taking-

1 x l-carintine fumerate
1 x Same
1 x TMG
2 x metafolin
1 x B-complex
3 x omega 3
3 x vitamin c
2 x Zinc
1 x Calcium/Magnesium
1 x vitamin A
1 x vitamin D
1 x vitamin E
1 x alpha lipotic acid
1 x anabol naturals dibencoplex
1 x potassium
5 x enzymatic therapy b12 sublingually

Although I am feeling better I still suffer terribly with brain fog. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on other things I could try that could help. It's the number one thing I would love to fix. I can't remember the last time I was able to think clearly.
Check your thyroid - TSH should be <2.0. See http://www.lef.org/protocols/appendix/blood_testing_02.htm?source=search&key=TSH reference range).
There are supplements - any good Thorne multile has all the things necessary for your thyroid. If you want a specific supplement tho', then one like this: http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Thyrocsin-Thyroid-Cofactors-60-Veggie-Caps/21588 - it has the iodine and selenium etc you need. Also as star-anise says, you need tyrosine to make thyroid hormone and if you eat a low protein diet (women usually eat less protein than men due to size anyway) then you may need to supplement it...my doctor put me on 1g/day tyrosine.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Just a suggestion - if bowel problems try magnesium oil. I have it on hand for blood pressure issues "just-in-case" Normally I take calcium citrate + magnesium citrate 1:1 ratio (600mg / day magnesium). If I do not I get arrythmias. I take the citrate fors because citrate prevents kidney stones. Plus my body likes it and does not like other forms (like asporatate). I also tried the malaate and it did nothing for me. From what I had read I was supposed to want the most absorbable form but my body liked citrate so that's what I stick with.

heyitisjustin

(I've had absolutely constant brain fog for a couple years now)
Which choline (or otherwise) supplements lower dopamine the most. I think my dopamine is being converted to adrenaline/noradrenaline and would like to lower it. My reasons for taking choline are to convert histamine to HCL and decrease peripheral serotonin