• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heat: not black, not white. It's gray!!!

Ecoclimber

J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 2013 Jun 8:1-16. doi: 10.1515/jbcpp-2012-0080. [Epub ahead of print]
Heat: not black, not white. It's gray!!!
Singh LP, Kapoor M, Singh SB.
Abstract

Abstract Heat-related illness (HRI) is a broad term that includes clinical conditions ranging from heat cramps and syncope to heat exhaustion and heatstroke, which may result in death. HRIs are one of the major causes of death worldwide and continue to increase in severity with the rise in global temperature. The identification and estimation of heat-related morbidity and mortality is a major challenge. Heat stress manifests itself into respiratory, cardiovascular, and cerebrovascular disorders, leading to the attribution of the deaths caused by heat stress to these disorders. Although HRIs affect mankind in general, certain occupational workers such as soldiers and athletes are more prone. Various pharmacological and nonpharmacological strategies have been employed to combat HRIs. Despite this, heat exposure results in significant morbidity and mortality. Hence, complete understanding of HRIs at physiological as well as molecular level is required to facilitate design of more efficient preventive and treatment strategies. The impact of heat on mankind is not just restricted to HRIs. Heat treatment, i.e., thermotherapy, has been used extensively since ancient times for relieving pain, making heat a two-edged sword. This review attempts to summarize various HRIs, their physiological and molecular basis, and the state-of-the-art techniques/research initiatives to combat the same. It also illustrates the application of thermotherapy as a means for improving quality of life and morbidity associated with several disease conditions such as fibromyalgia syndrome, heart diseases, cancer, chronic pain, and depression.

Eco

IreneF

I do sponge baths unless I have to wash my hair. Then I sit on a stool and pour water over my head. Even so, I am woozy for the rest of the day.

lansbergen

I do sponge baths unless I have to wash my hair. Then I sit on a stool and pour water over my head. Even so, I am woozy for the rest of the day.

Performing basic hygiene can wornout for days if not weeks.

Now I have improved enough I can enjoy hot baths again.