• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COMT ++, dopamine, motivation and focus

I am a bit confused. I am COMT V158M ++, COMT H62H ++ and COMT P199P +-, which means I don't break down dopamine very well, nor to I break down cortisol well. That would mean I would tend to have more of each circulating, and therefore would tend to have higher motivation. But I don't.

Am I incorrect in my assumption that COMT ++ leads to more circulating dopamine leads to higher motivation and other dopamine characteristics? I definitely seem to be more sensitive to pain than other people.

pamrr

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Hi Pam

I believe COMT metabolises dopamine (breaking it down for recycling and reuse) so the low activity met/met allele of COMT V158M would mean that you don't process dopamine effectively which would mean dopamine signalling is impaired.

This has known implications re stress, executive function and pain sensitivity.

You might find my series of blogs of interest as COMT figures several times :

“ the Val(158)Met polymorphism in COMT is associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder in men, with anxiety phenotypes in women, and has a greater impact on cognitive function in boys than girls”

Read more: Glutamate – One More Piece in the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Puzzle? The Neuroinflammatory Series Pt. II

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2013/02/15/glutamate-one-more-piece-in-the-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-puzzle-the-neuroinflammatory-series-pt-ii/

Hi Pam

I believe COMT metabolises dopamine (breaking it down for recycling and reuse) so the low activity met/met allele of COMT V158M would mean that you don't process dopamine effectively which would mean dopamine signalling is impaired.

This has known implications re stress, executive function and pain sensitivity.

You might find my series of blogs of interest as COMT figures several times :

“ the Val(158)Met polymorphism in COMT is associated with obsessive-compulsive disorder in men, with anxiety phenotypes in women, and has a greater impact on cognitive function in boys than girls”

Read more: Glutamate – One More Piece in the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Puzzle? The Neuroinflammatory Series Pt. II

[URL='http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2013/02/15/glutamate-one-more-piece-in-the-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-puzzle-the-neuroinflammatory-series-pt-ii/[/quote']http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2013/02/15/glutamate-one-more-piece-in-the-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-puzzle-the-neuroinflammatory-series-pt-ii/[/URL][/quote]

So then are you implying that because I am COMT ++ that I don't break down dopamine *and* the signaling could be impaired, so that the unbroken down dopamine is taken back up and reused, causing functionally low dopamine? I will read through the link you have provided, thanks.

I posted this question in the wrong forum, couldn't figure out how to delete it and have reposted it in another forum. Sorry!

pamrr

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Hi Pam - if you're still around.

Essentially yes. As regards Val158Met, if you're not breaking down and recycling dopamine efficiently then dopamine transmission will be impaired.

Hi Pam - if you're still around.

Essentially yes. As regards Val158Met, if you're not breaking down and recycling dopamine efficiently then dopamine transmission will be impaired.

Thanks, Marco -- that explains so much. Do you have any suggestions as to what to do to make dopamine transmission more efficient?

jason30

I know this is an old thread.
But since a lot of us encounter the same, especially those with comt +/+ met/met mutations, I ask the same question 5,5 years later. :)

Does anyone have some suggestions to what to do to make dopamine transmission more efficient?