• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Basic blood work - what basic tests should I request for Auto-Immune

nomad

Anyone interested in a London Support group?
What are the absolute basic tests which would show that I'm having a severe auto-immune flare, and which ideally include tests for autoimmune thyroiditis. I very strongly suspect brain inflammation and what feel like muscle wasting increasingly every day. I was in A&E last week with breathing problems too which were muscle related.

Currently my brain feels like it's on fire and I'm tipping over into both intense anxiety and rage.

I Rather then waiting for NHS tests I'll ask GP for referral letter for one of the many private bloodwork labs here in the uk so I can get blood work done now whilst I'm having a really bad flare up. I'm seeing my GP on Thursday and want to take the list of tests to her and get referal letters.

Suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

I

Ema

What are the absolute basic tests which would show that I'm having a severe auto-immune flare, and which ideally include tests for autoimmune thyroiditis.

Tests for thyroid antibodies include TPO Ab and TgAb.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/hashimotos/
[/quote]
HOW DO I CONFIRM HASHI’S LABWISE? In most cases, Hashi’s is confirmed by two antibodies labs, and you need both, not just one:
    • anti-TPO
    • TgAb.
The first antibody, anti-TPO, attacks an enzyme normally found in your thyroid gland, called the Thyroid Peroxidase, which is important in the production of thyroid hormones. The second antibody, TgAb, attacks the key protein in the thyroid gland, the thyroglobulin, which is essential in the production of the T4 and T3 thyroid hormones. Note: it is unfortunately common for a doctor to only do ONE test, and you need BOTH tests, since you can be normal in one and high in another! Also, if your doctor just chooses the TPO, there are other autoimmune diseases that can cause a raise of the TPO. We have also noted that saliva does not always accurately detect Hashi’s as well as blood tests do.
There are a very small minority of individuals who will have no reading of antibodies, yet a strong suspicion they have Hashimotos, especially when they have noted swings between feeling hyper, then feeling hypo, or a lowering of their voice, or a thickening in their throat area. If you want confirmation, ask your doctor about an FNA test (fine needle aspiration). They will look for “Hurthle Cells”, large granulated cells, which are associated with Hashimoto’s.

nomad

Is there test to measure raised antibody levels and also the presence of a Cytokine Storm ?

nomad

Out of the following labs does anyone have a preference for auto-immunity tests? I understand the Genova diagnostics and great plains are good ?

Genova Diagnostics
Great Plains Laboratory
Biolab Medical Unit
Neuro Lab
Nutrition Geeks
The Doctors Laboratory (TDL)
TDL Manchester
YorkTest Laboratories
MELISA Diagnostics Ltd
Medichecks

Ema

Is there test to measure raised antibody levels and also the presence of a Cytokine Storm ?
Raised antibody levels to what specific disease? There are many antibody tests - most all viral testing, for example, is antibody testing.

I think a cytokine storm would present with high fever and extreme nausea. I've never heard of anyone testing for a cytokine storm but I guess I would test the pro-inflammatory cytokines like IL-1, IL-6 and TNF-alpha.

Ema

ukxmrv

I've used the London TDL before and found them very good. At that stage I was under the care of a doctor who had an office around the corner but sadly he is now longer in the UK. My bloods went to the USA for immune system testing then. TDL only took the bloods and did the shipping.

Thinktank

Redlabs in Belgium, often used by dr. Meirleir.
http://www.redlabs.be/documents/Request Form 08-10IMMUen.V27052013.pdf

Proinflammatory cytokines
IL1
IL6
IL8
IL10
IL12p70
TN
TGF1
MIP1
MCP1

Th1/Th2 cytokines
IL2
IL4
IFN
mRNA

Cytokine RNA, inflammatory
IL6
IL8
IL10
TNF
TGF1
MIP1
mRNA

Perforin expression
NK cell activity

How are you so sure it's a "cytokine storm"?
What have you been diagnosed with in the past? Which supplements are you taking currently?